Bariatric Surgery - new oulook, new life!

Options
Hello Everyone,
I'm Bonnie and I'm new to My Fitness Pal. Like many others, my struggles with weight began in college and continued on throughout my lifetime. Three times I gained and lost 75 pounds or more, and three times the weight crept right back on ... slowly at first ... but within a matter of years despite my many attempts to incorporate diet & exercise into my life, I was always back to where I started from. I've tried so many weight loss programs with short-term success; from Weight Watchers, Atkins, and the 6-Week Body Makeover to the diet centers, nutrition counselors, YMCA and more. I became an expert at what DIDN'T work for me ... all those products and programs that were at best a temporary fix. I was the poster child for the "Yo-Yo" effect. Up and down, and up and down. The older I got, the harder it was. And before I knew it, the health problems began ... thyroid, knees, and heart. Life became a vicious cycle of surgeries and rehab and despite 6 surgeries in an 8 year span, I still thought I could conquer the weight loss - one more time. Wow! Was I wrong. I learned that at some point you come to a crossroads in life between your health problems and your bad genetics - and now matter how hard you try, you just can't outrun both.

And so I finally opted for Bariatric Surgery and on 4/19/15 I had a Sleeve Gastrectomy. What a blessing. I had an amazing surgeon and incredible results! I cannot believe how much better I feel already. The hardest part was making the decision and accepting the help that I needed. And now I have a whole new outlook and a whole new life to look forward to. Between the 2 week pre-op diet and 2 week post-op diet I've lost 24 pounds and I'm feeling fantastic. And for the first time in a very long time, I am looking forward to the journey ahead. So if you've had success with weight loss surgery, I'm looking forward to hearing your story and meeting other "Bariatric Buddies" to share my journey to good health with. Wishing you all success in your endeavors and looking forward to meeting your here on My Fitness Pal.

Cheers,
Bonnie B.

Replies

• catblaq
    catblaq Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Bonnie,

I completely understand the reality bite. I too made the decision to have weight loss surgery.
    My operation date is set for 10 jun.
    I'm tentative about it, but excited too.
    Looking forward to my life ahead and meeting new friends.
    Talk soon
    Cat nz
  • jquail22
    jquail22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Jen! Nice to meet y'all! I was sleeved 3-31-15. Best decision I have ever made! I'm feeling the best I have felt in ages! And yes I am looking forward to the journey. Hope to chat with you soon!
  • RashidaJohnson
    RashidaJohnson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Bonnie! I just had my bariatric sleeve surgery 5/19 & am so happy to see your story here! I too decided to have the surgery because my health was heading in a direction that I didn't like. High blood pressure, sugar, cholesterol, heart rate, etc. I've lost 14 lbs since my surgery 5 days ago :) ...In any event Good luck with your new lifestyle and I am praying for nothing but upward momentum from here. God bless!
    Rashida
  • LenaRath
    LenaRath Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve on 4/29. It has been a game changer!!
  • Gleno97
    Gleno97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks, I've just had VSG surgery on 5/20 and I've been out of the hospital for a few days and I'm feeling pretty good. I have lost 50lbs from Apr 1/15 to my surgery date on May 20/15. The hospital staff was excellent. Very positive/caring environment. It's great to speak with people in the same situation as me for inspiration. Good luck to you Bonnie, I wish you well.
  • letitgo10
    letitgo10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi to all - so nice to read your amazing stories! I am being sleeved on 15 June and just started my pre-surgery diet today - hence also just joined this app... Good luck on your continued weight loss journey!
  • LindaAnne1966
    LindaAnne1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    7 year gastric bypass vet here! Good luck! :)
  • ccwms
    ccwms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you all!! I was sleeved 3/24 and have lost 20lbs since that day. My ultimate goal is to get down to 140ish. That's half of my body weight at my highest!! I'm in this for the long haul, and it may take longer based on my weightloss so far.

People have started to notice my loss in the past few weeks, which has been very encouraging. I've had to go KETO though, because I was tired of waiting. It's working - lost 3lbs last week. I think following my nutritionists plan, it had too much carb for me, and was too high in protein which I've seen the research show can be changed into "carbs" by our bodies and therefore will stall weightloss. This fortunately doesn't happen for most people, but carbs are a MAJOR issue for me.

Would love to know any of LindaAnne1966's tips for keeping on track for 7 years! Haven't had an opportunity to hear from anyone that has experience with VSG for that long. Sure you must have a wealth of info for all of us newbies.
  • pattylynn727
    pattylynn727 Posts: 17 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm Patty and I had a revision from the lap band to the gastric sleeve done on April 7th and I've lost 26 lbs so far. I had also tried all of the diets, gimmicks and fads and lost & regained the same 60 lbs every time. The band stopped working for me after I had my 2nd child who's turning 4, my entire pregnancy I gained 18 lbs and I looked great post partum but health issues and medications came in to play and I began to pack on another 42 lbs I had to do something I'm turning 40 this year and have a 9 yr old and a 3 yr old. My husband bless him has supported me through it all. I don't have a lot of friends on here but I'd like to have more if anyone would like to add me. Support and motivation are important on this journey to our new and better lives!
  • vpchipz
    vpchipz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had my vsg in Mexico on April 15th 2105. It was a great experience a day I'm loving g the fact I'm not a slave to food anymore
  • pattylynn727
    pattylynn727 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I totally agree I'm not even interested in food, I only eat it out of necessity. Vpchipz we had surgery just a week apart, how is your weight loss been going?
  • elizabethlinger
    elizabethlinger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I also understand how difficult it is to accept surgery for the help in weight loss. I put it off for years then after I decided to go foward with it it took me 4 years to finally get a Ins. that would cover it. I was sleeved 1/29/15 I am down 40lbs n went from a 22/24 womens to a 18 petit its not an easy to keep in line but Im glad I got it done. BTW I would also like to hear advice from a long timer. Great to meet you all. :)
  • notaryatheart
    notaryatheart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is exciting and helpful to hear your stories! Frightened by the toll that overeating/binging/sedentary lifestyle was starting to take a toll on my life, I contacted the local hospital Bariatrics Center and am now jumping the hoops to get to surgery. My Sleeve surgery will tentatively be in November. I have been to one monthly support group so far and am taken aback by the successes and positive attitudes of so many, just like here on MFP. Re-introducing myself to appropriate caloric intake and exercise is my new job. There has never been a time in my life than now where I have wanted this success.
  • Katnipt17
    Katnipt17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I am so inspired by all of your stories!! Although I am not yet a member of your 'group', I am hoping that it will be in my future. I have so many questions, I hope you will all bear with me! I'm 62 years old and have been overweight since the late 70s. This past year has seen me at my highest and I have been trying hard the last couple of months to exercise and eat healthier, but so far I've only managed to lose about 12 pounds. That's a good start, but I'm afraid at this pace my life is going to be over before I get down to where I need to be to be healthy. What is the different between the lap band and the gastric sleeve? Is one more effective than the other? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!
  • angaide
    angaide Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Bonnie! I had Gastric Bypass on 4/16/15. I had some complications after surgery and was a frequent visitor of the surgeon and the ER, and hospital admitting. My family has been extremely supportive and I've lost 74 pounds or so since November (when I started my doctor supervised diet) and a little over 50 since surgery. I'm trying to log in and keep track of my protein intake here so I can show my dietician my tracking and progress. It's nice to feel so much better - I have a long way to go but I can feel it already. Best of luck everyone!
  • aunatural1122
    aunatural1122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello new to my fitness pal still working in a healthier me.considering getting sleeved but imscared to death! I have to do something as a preventative measure some of u add me and let's help keep each other on track
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    HI! I was hoping to find a thread like this!
    I had a sleeve gastrectomy on June 19, 2015. I have lost 36 lbs since surgery and I am looking for people like me!
    I just got clearance to start working out again... which strangely, I enjoy emensly! (no, I can't spell!)

I am just now on stage 4 of the diet, and I am still having trouble with some meat... and I can't eat more than 2 0z of anything at one time.....
    Anyone else??
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hello new to my fitness pal still working in a healthier me.considering getting sleeved but imscared to death! I have to do something as a preventative measure some of u add me and let's help keep each other on track

I just had mine done June 19. BEST decision I ever made. My doc has us jumping thru hoops to be medically cleared, which is wonderful.... You need to be dedicated to this choice though. The Food part is very strict, and if you don't follow it, or the WAY you need to eat, you could end up miserable.

If you REALLY want this....... it is a great choice, and not overly invasive. I personally had a great experience SO FAR....... the pain is VERY minimal, and usually gone (with the use of liquid Tylenol) by the time you leave the hospital.

Good luck to you!!

• NanaKK1234
    NanaKK1234 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I was sleeved on 4/24/25. I began 2015 at 302 as of today I am 209. The surgery was one of my best decision, even though I did regret it the first couple of weeks. I ended up with blood clots in my leg and lungs. Looking for mfp friends who are on the same path as me!!!!! Good luck all.
  • mrodriguez1082
    mrodriguez1082 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had my Bypass June 3rd 2015. Im down 35 lbs! This has been the best decision I have ever made! Good Luck to all considering it, and Congrats to all who have done it! Feel free to add me!