Running

Options
I've been away from running for about 2 years now and I'm trying to get back into it. I just had a baby and I really want to lose some weight and get back into shape! I'd love some good tips on how to get started again. I've always had someone there kind of telling me what to do when it came to this stuff, but not in pretty much on my own. #needmoto

Replies

• loveliftlaughxo
    loveliftlaughxo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A lot of people really like doing couch to 5K. I've personally never done it, but I hear great things.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Stuff that helps
    • Couch to 5k app
    • Run! Zombies app
    • Local running club
    • Run tracker (Endomondo, MapMyRun, RunKeeper)

Before you start
    • Make sure you have the right shoes
    • Do flexibility exercises (not necessarily stretching, can also be pilates / yoga / dynamic movement)

Remember
    • Everyone started somewhere
    • You will feel self-conscious
    • Slow down for dull pain, stop for sharp / unexpected pain
    • Hydrate

• fostercasey14
    fostercasey14 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks!:)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you can't just go out and run around your neighborhood? Stay close to home so you can stop when you need to, at least until you get a feel for your ability. Keep the pace manageable and enjoy yourself. Doesn't have to be complicated.
  • msullivan1979
    msullivan1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started back up a little over a year ago. I started slowly with a mix of jogging then walking and built my way up. I started with 13 min miles and only doing 1-2 miles at a time. Now I can run up to 6 miles (8-9 min miles). I got a good pair of running shoes and that helped a lot. Good luck!!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    C25K

If you just had a baby make sure you're doing something that eases you into it. Having a baby and being pregnant can be very hard on your body and it takes forever to feel normal again.
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was in your place back in December. I second the good, quality shoes advice. If you go to a running shoe store, and if the staff is knowledgeable, they can assess your gait/stride & give you recommendations on various brands. Also, don't expect too much out of yourself at once. I started out running a block, walking 2, for a mile. I could only do it every other day at best. Now, I have built myself up to 9 miles, no walking, and I'm doing hill workouts once a week, too. Make sure you stretch well after each run - that's when your muscles are warm & you absolutely don't want to stop a run & let them tighten up on you without a good stretch. There is a running group on here called Monthly Running Goals, it's a great group of folks with a lot of positive things to say. They have helped me with motivation immensely. Also, it's a mix of beginners to marathon runners who kindly share their knowledge. You should check them out!
  • fostercasey14
    fostercasey14 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl thanks a lot!:)