Pregnant! How many calories should I eat?

Options

Replies

• Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my son, I had just lost a bunch of weight, and was worried about gaining too much during the pregnancy. I upped my calories by 300, which put me between 1800 and 1900. When I talked to my doctor, she stressed to me that I needed to be eating between 2000 and 2200 most days, so I did. I gained only a healthy amount of weight, 25 pounds, and most came off immediately after. So, as others have said, please talk to your doctor. They can tell you what's best!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    First - Ask your doctor
    Second - Generally, first trimester you do not need to add any additional calories. Just eat at maintenance. 2nd trimester I think I increased it to 150-200 calories and during my 3rd trimester I was at 300+ calories. I gained just under 25 lbs overall and had my baby in January. You may want to tailor your calories to your specific needs though, based on how you're feeling and how hungry you are. I used http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm to give me a general idea of my calorie intake.
    Third - Get some exercise! I can't stress this enough. It keeps you fit and active. And I 100% believe that being active helps with labor and delivery. I did a prenatal swimming class with both of my pregnancies. My first daughter was a 7 hour labor and my 2nd (January) was 4 hours. I think it helped alot to have been so active.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Someone recommended this website to work it out: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm
  • victorprocure
    victorprocure Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sweetd6 wrote: »
    And remember to make all you calories "count", healthy foods, lean proteins, fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts and nut butters. If your baby was in front of you, would you feed it to him/her? No? Then don't eat it, because you will be feeding it to him/her, lol. You're actually "building a baby", use the healthiest foods to do so. Congratulations!

lol
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    Please check with your doctor on your calories etc. some people need more than 300, some need less. It's all about your body and how you are responding to pregnancy.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    What your doctor tells you to.
  • Babykeys32
    Babykeys32 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who tried to give me genuine advice, I appreciate it.

However I just want to say I have of COURSE spoken to my doctor!!! I'm not an idiot. And to the person who asked very rudely why I havnt addressed my diet...I have! I lost a huge amount of weight prior to my pregnancy and that was a really judgemental comment to make. Also I don't need anyone to tell me when to get off the internet, thank you very much.

I simply wanted to get a bit of advice (maybe from other women who have had children) about keeping a healthy weight whilst pregnant.

I would never blindly follow anything someone on a forum said, but I just wanted some support and advice. I don't have a mum or sisters etc so I don't really have any to ask.

My doctor was very uninterested in discussing my calorie intake anyway, but I guess I've figured it out now, thank you.

• determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think a lot of people feel uncomfortable doling out "medical" advice to someone they don't even know-- hence all of the "don't ask us; ask a doctor!" comments. The fact that your doctor didn't seem concerned with outlining calorie intake seems to indicate that it's really not something to stress over. Eat when you're hungry, aim for reasonable macro ratios, and take care of yourself! (This includes ice cream. ;) )
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Babykeys32 wrote: »
    Hi all! So after 2 years of trying I am FINALLY pregnant! I'm so happy.

Now I've had a couple of days of "aaaand relaaaax" with my diet , as I was so strict when trying. But now I want to make sure I'm eating the correct sensible amount of calories during my pregnancy.

I am getting married 6 months after baby is born so I don't want to gain more than necessary, but I am of course not goin to even think about losing weight whilst pregnant.

I just want a healthy pregnancy, without ballooning and overdoing it.

I'm currently 10st 8 and 5ft 4. I've lost 3 stone over the past 4 months to reach that weight. I currently eat around 1500 cals and I lose slowly on that - maybe a pound every 2 weeks.

Anyone got any tips? Ideas of amount of calories I should be eating? How much weight I can expect to gain?

Thanks to all! Xx

I think they generally say to eat an extra 500 calories per day.

• cjeanme
    cjeanme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its generally 250-300 extra/day per child you are carrying. This is if yur bmi is in a healthy range and after the first trimester. First trimester eat as normal but do not eat less than 1200 cals/day. Also pregnant. Have done a buttload of research. ☺
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Im sure your own Dr has all the answers to these highly sensitive questions!
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't eat fish, cause they have lot of mercury in them. It is bad for kid. Try omega-3 from walnuts.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    Don't eat fish, cause they have lot of mercury in them. It is bad for kid. Try omega-3 from walnuts.

no. just no.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    There are some fish to stay away from, but that doesn't mean all.
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am also currently pregnant and have PCOS, so I am at a higher risk for gestational diabetes. (It doesn't help that my BMI is in the obese range still.) I am very concerned about gaining too much weight and putting my baby at risk. The research I did (on sites like the Mayo Clinic) suggested only gaining 10-15 pounds. When I brought it up to my OB, he did not seem concerned about my weight at all. He is still suggesting I gain 20-25 pounds, although I have lost 6 in the first trimester. Luckily this has not been due to morning sickness but to just being mindful that the calories I consume have actual nutritional value. I also try and eat 1800-2000 calories per day (my OB said this was a good range for me), days that I get some exercise in my net calories are lower but never below 1500. So far it is working. Now that I am in my 2nd trimester, I expect to start gaining some weight but I am hoping to keep it under control so I don't add too much more to my frame and make it that much harder to lose once the baby is here.
    I think most of the replies have echoed what I have read with single pregnancies, only about an extra 300 calories is needed and like you my OB is not concerned about my diet/weight so I don't blame you for wanting some extra advice. I feel that you are doing what is right by doing your own research, which includes asking the myfitnesspal support community, and then going over your thoughts with your doctor just to make sure he/she is ok with it. Congratulations and good luck!!!
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Verify your specific parameters with your doctor...also (especially with this taking awhile to happen) make sure you get a good prenatal vitamin from your doctor.

As for eating, most physicians will recommend to eat NORMALLY during the first trimester, no extra calories but with focus on getting your nutrients.

FOr the second and third trimester you're going to want to stick to about 300 extra calories/day. This WILL vary based on your current BMI.
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations!!!!

I would focus more on WHAT you eat than HOW MUCH you eat when you are pregnant. Eat when you are hungry, and stop when you're not. Listen to your body. Provide your baby with as much healthy and nutrient-dense food as you can and limit treats (although everyone needs a treat every now and then!) I know it can be tough in the beginning if you have a lot of nausea... I basically subsisted off of Cheez-itz, dry cheerios, and ginger ale for a few weeks... but once you feel better, eat as healthfully as you can.

If you listen to your body and eat when you need to eat, you'll be good to go. Everyone is different and it's not good to deprive yourself at all nutritionally (or eat at any sort of deficit) when you're pregnant.

And I know it's different for everyone, but I spent so much time during my pregnancy stressing over weight gain, especially since I gained a lot in the beginning... but in the end I gained 30 total pounds and very quickly lost it after my son was born. So try not to stress too much, and don't forget to enjoy your pregnancy!
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It took us 2 years to fall pregnant the first time too. Now we have 3. Only tips I have for you are these:

1. Watch your iron levels. I found it hard to eat meat while I was pregnant because I couldn't stand the smell. Started craving chick peas and tabouli. Eventually, the Dr put me on iron supplements.
    2. Avoid alcohol altogether (which I'm sure you're already doing anyway).
    3. If morning sickness is a problem, tell your Dr. I had it throughout my first pregnancy and struggled to keep the food down. I couldn't even keep water down unless it was sparkling or in the form of ice.

Otherwise, enjoy the experience!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't gain anything but bloat your first trimester.

You should gain less your second trimester than your third. If you're really gaining a ton in the 2nd...it's fat.

By the end of your third, you'll be gaining a pound a week. If go late, sometimes more. Only some of that will be fat/baby/placenta. Some will be liquid weight--blood volume and amniotic fluid. So expect to gain 14lbs in your last trimester. And back-plan from there.

When women gain a TON of weight, it's usually because they gain way too much in the 1st and 2nd trimester. You can't go, "Okay, that's enough!" in the 3rd. I don't know why many doctors recommend eating as much in the 2nd trimester as you need in the 3rd because that's a sure-fire way to gain too much.

New studies reveal that 25-35 lbs is bad advice for normal-weight women. A max of 30 is better. Over 30lbs greatly raises the chances of women unable to lose baby weight...and over 40 dramatically raises the chances of dystocia (causing C-sections). (BTW, 25-35 was a fairly new recommendation. Before that, it was 15-25, which they decided was too little!)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I am also currently pregnant and have PCOS, so I am at a higher risk for gestational diabetes. (It doesn't help that my BMI is in the obese range still.) I am very concerned about gaining too much weight and putting my baby at risk. The research I did (on sites like the Mayo Clinic) suggested only gaining 10-15 pounds. When I brought it up to my OB, he did not seem concerned about my weight at all. He is still suggesting I gain 20-25 pounds, although I have lost 6 in the first trimester.

Your OB is misinformed. Mayo Clinic is very much right. Greater weight gain than that if you're classified as obese leads to a much greater likelihood of an overly large baby. Obese women with babies of any size are more likely to end up with C-sections, and those with large babies are even MORE likely because of failure of labor to progress. In addition, chances of gestational diabetes increases.

He IS right, though, that if you're above a healthy weight, there is no problem with losing weight in the first trimester. (In fact, lots of healthy-weight women with bad morning sickness also lose weight in the first trimester with no negative consequences...as long as they stay in that healthy range.)

Looking beyond obese as a nebulous group at the morbidly obese, studies are revealing that even smaller weight gains are healthier.