Is university needed for future success?

Options
2»

Replies

• needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    needernt wrote: »
    I think at this age people are so obsessed with 'Joneses' that they put them before their health and common sense.
    Needless to say, scientists and those who are made to be at uni are exceptions.
    That's just about any teenager whether they go to college or not though. I know that when I was in college at 19, making money was big on my mind as well as having a low profile truck with an Alpine stereo and booming JBL woofers.
    Times change, but people really don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Generally speaking habits and advertisements play a major role in our life decisions. They frequently distort the real life facts. No matter at which age we are.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    These questions are highly subjective - for starters, it depends on your definition of 'success'

I did not go to university, my husband did not go to university. I consider our lives to be successful.

2 of my children went to university, 1 did not, he did an apprenticeship and became qualified in a trade - they all seem to have successful lives in terms of jobs, income, happiness.

Depending what your goals in life and career are and whether such requires a degree would determine the answer. The answer will not be the same for everyone.
  • needernt
    edited April 2015
    Options
    These questions are highly subjective - for starters, it depends on your definition of 'success'

I did not go to university, my husband did not go to university. I consider our lives to be successful.

2 of my children went to university, 1 did not, he did an apprenticeship and became qualified in a trade - they all seem to have successful lives in terms of jobs, income, happiness.

Depending what your goals in life and career are and whether such requires a degree would determine the answer. The answer will not be the same for everyone.

That's what I'm trying to say. We should go to uni if we require a degree. If we need the skill and knowledge there are other ways to gain it, mostly through internet. university is not the only way to learn skills, nor even the most efficient way.

I noticed I can learn things about management and entrepreneurship by studying on my own at the comfortable corner of my home. I already have my BSc, so I know enough about math and don't feel any need for a real class in that. Therefore I changed my mind about continuing education for masters at uni. Hopefully I can get the result I want.
  • needernt
    Options
    Can anyone suggest websites and books for free, online education?
  • needernt
    Options
    anyone?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Do you think the cost, the stress and all the hardships people go through towards a degree would worth the result?
    I mean I've seen more successful people around without going throw all this and they look healthier and happier than many college nerds.

Yeah...no bias there.

Anyway, if you look at reports, education almost always pays dividends over time as an investment in yourself. That can be vocational training, formal education, internships, etc.. The benefit of formal education (including formal vocational) is it is globally recognized and valued in industry. Experience can be conveyed and qualified or quantified, but the effectiveness can vary.

You can always have anecdotal responses of people who did not go through college and do well, but that does not answer the overall questions of is college worth it. For that you have to look at the success and pay through trends overall. Again, in almost all cases college pays off (market for occupations considered).

There is a large movement for more free resources through MOOCs and OERs, and you can search both those terms to see what is out there. I work in that space and results are really varied for retention and completion. Lots of reasons for it, but you certainly can try it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest websites and books for free, online education?
    Khan academy. My DD uses it for math.

khanacademy.org

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I do not have a degree. A degree is required for my position. I worked my way into this position by starting at the bottom. That is not a path that people starting out have anymore for certain positions. If I were to lose my job and go out looking for a similar position, other companies would not even consider me, regardless of the 40+ years of experience. I'd be flipping burgers for a lot less money.

So...to answer the question, ninerbuff put it best. No, not for certain careers or trades, but I would add, that it is definitely worth pursuing.
  • needernt
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I do not have a degree. A degree is required for my position. I worked my way into this position by starting at the bottom. That is not a path that people starting out have anymore for certain positions. If I were to lose my job and go out looking for a similar position, other companies would not even consider me, regardless of the 40+ years of experience. I'd be flipping burgers for a lot less money.

So...to answer the question, ninerbuff put it best. No, not for certain careers or trades, but I would add, that it is definitely worth pursuing.

Well, considering many graduate students do not have the job or the income the were looking for. maybe it's time to rethink the old school way of education. Indeed one must be lucky find themself in the appropriate position after finishing university these days, and not everyone are that fortunate. That's what I see everyday.
  • Jrockward
    Jrockward Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes... Unless you're a kardashian.
  • purplerosemfp
    purplerosemfp Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    NOPE you dont need uni .. I'm proof of that and so are my kids... you can make your own success
  • needernt
    edited May 2015
    Options
    NOPE you dont need uni .. I'm proof of that and so are my kids... you can make your own success

What do you do and your kids? Is it involves education in any terms?
    I have a Bs and I decide to learn the essence of MBA through this website:
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http://personalmba.com/&ei=hShQVa7_CYXuoATI2IDQCw&usg=AFQjCNEV5TdL6_eQMhS8zgoFeGn2XG7wtQ&sig2=YBvJP31Z4USf8XmhAfRZkA

Tell me your opinion about that or any other suggestions. Thanks.
  • needernt
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Jrockward wrote: »
    Yes... Unless you're a kardashian.

I know people who started their dream career just after finishing high school and without struggle of uni. They are happier and more content than most college graduate I see nowadays.
    Most college graduates constantly express dissatisfaction with their job and income and economic problems but those self-employed people not. I see how they enjoy their life and career at every single moment of it.
    They made themselves Kardashians.
    Now which way do you think is better? What a uni can give us that the real outside world cannot?
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    depends on the person
  • needernt
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think university teaches people what they might not need in their life journey at the expense of stress, cost and unreal mindset towards future job market.
    Uni is about the business of education not the mere education.