Pot roast: stove top, oven, or slow cooker?

Options
2»

Replies

• eireokie
    eireokie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cast iron...in the oven...no comparison. The meat browns and the vegetables caramelize to perfection!
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The definitive answer is old school: very slow oven, in a cast iron roaster. This is far superior to any other method.
    eireokie wrote: »
    Cast iron...in the oven...no comparison. The meat browns and the vegetables caramelize to perfection!

Basically what I put, but I call it a Dutch oven. Most Dutch ovens are cast iron.if your want the roast flavor inparted in the meat carrots and potatoes there is no other option. The other methods are basically a boil not a roast.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Dutch oven in the oven for sure.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I have going on. Slow cooker if I won't be home all day, but definitely in my dutch oven or cast iron roaster in the oven if I'm home.
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    You should get a Dutch Oven - cast iron preferably, or enamel-clad cast iron. Every kitchen should have one. They last a lifetime. I've gotten some as heirlooms. This is a great pot in which to cook a roast.

Stove top? Oven? Crockpot? It depends on whether or not you are at home to supervise it. If you have no time to cook that day, use the Crockpot. The result will be delicious. But even more delicious if you start on top of the stove. Sear your meat and remove it from the pot. Then brown your aromatic vegetables (onion, carrot, celery; or onion, peppers, garlic) Return the meat to the pot. Add your cooking liquid. Put in a slow oven for several hours.

By starting on top of the stove, you build layers of flavor that create a complexity to your finished dish that just can't be replicated in a Crockpot.

I agree! Dutch oven all the way. Sear on the stove add stock or wine, return to boil, add onions and garlic and place in 250 degree oven until desired doneness:)
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. You've given me a lot of good info.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I grill my roasts. Talk about smokey delicious flavor. I season the roast beef (or pork) and rub a little oil on it. I sear all sides over the hot coals to seal in juice. Than I move it away from the coals, stick my grill thermometer into the center. (It has a lead to the electric part outside the grill so I can watch temp without opening up). I cook it to the desired internal temp mid-rare for us. Usually I go about 5 degree over since roasts are so thick. Let it rest 5-10 mins.

Glorious!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Crockpot. I can ask my husband for his recpie if you want. It's freakin' AMAZING!! *nooooommmmms*

Crap, now I want him to make some this weekend. XD
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Crockpot:
    1. when you cook meats for longer times at lower temperatures, they tend to come out more tender and flavorful.
    2. you can easily leave a crockpot unattended for long periods of time.

That doesn't mean i would only or always use my crockpot to roast beef. if i've got a really, really good cut like a prime rib, i'll do it in the oven at a low temperature.

But to get the most out of a cheap cut of meat, i prep it at night, and throw the pot in the fridge. The next morning, i put the pot in the heater, set it to cook all day, and come home to a delicious meal.

Tonight i'm looking forward to a crockpot full of pork tenderloin, carrots, onions, and pinto beans that i've had cooking all day. When i get home, i'm going to add some quinoa to the broth, and then throw in some diced up zucchini, tomatoes, and mushrooms. I'll let it sit in "warm" mode for 1/2 an hour, and then have at it with gusto!
  • scrapyredhatter
    scrapyredhatter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    I love pot roast but I've never made it before. I don't own an oven safe pot or a slow cooker, but I'm willing to purchase them. I do have a big soup pot I could try making stove top pot roast in. (The pot has plastic handles, hence, not oven safe.) My question is, what are the pros and cons of cooking pot roast on the stove top, vs the oven, vs using a slow cooker? Or an even simpler question, what is your favorite method?

I only cook my roast on my stove top. I brown it on both sides, add about 2 cups of water (more if you want to add potatoes,carrots and celery ). I cook for 3 or 4 hours on low. It is so tender that it falls apart. I don't think that it taste the same when cooked in the oven or cockpot. Just can't get it tender enough.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »
    Crockpot:
    1. when you cook meats for longer times at lower temperatures, they tend to come out more tender and flavorful.
    2. you can easily leave a crockpot unattended for long periods of time.

That doesn't mean i would only or always use my crockpot to roast beef. if i've got a really, really good cut like a prime rib, i'll do it in the oven at a low temperature.

But to get the most out of a cheap cut of meat, i prep it at night, and throw the pot in the fridge. The next morning, i put the pot in the heater, set it to cook all day, and come home to a delicious meal.

Tonight i'm looking forward to a crockpot full of pork tenderloin, carrots, onions, and pinto beans that i've had cooking all day. When i get home, i'm going to add some quinoa to the broth, and then throw in some diced up zucchini, tomatoes, and mushrooms. I'll let it sit in "warm" mode for 1/2 an hour, and then have at it with gusto!

Sounds good. Recipe captured.