C-section mummy's!!

Options
To any mums that's have had a csection. I've now had 2, most recent was 6 weeks ago. What exercise did you start doing and when? Not sure if I should just keep to walking at the moment ?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I had 2... I lift heavy things and put them back down.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I had 2

I also lift heavy .. but I didn't start until youngest was 10 so not sure that's so very helpful

6 weeks in - walking is great - give it some time and then look at bodyweight exercises (nerdfitness) if you can't get to a gym
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As soon as you're cleared to exercise, you can do whatever you want. I was cleared at eight weeks and started Orangetheory. Some of the moves hurt my incision area, so I had to take it easy and be careful for a while.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A friend of mine gave me this link just after I had my c-section
    http://www.theptdc.com/2014/09/returning-to-exercise-after-c-section-recovery/

I started with walking. I didn't have my appointment until 8 weeks to be cleared for exercise. I am a runner but I don't think I started running until about 4 months.
    I started back to the gym after my 8 week clearance with the Strong Curves beginner program. It focuses a lot on core and pelvic floor and is pretty light at first, mostly bodyweight. I found it perfect. I was really weak going back, much more than I expected. I then switched over to Stronglifts once I felt I was ready.

ETA - and congrats! I had to go back on my Facebook to find this article because I shared it there. I got to see all my baby pics along the way. Gah! Newborns! I can't believe he was that little. And how fast 9 months has gone by.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This early, I would do nothing other than very relaxed walking. Had 3 c-sections. I managed to open one stitch 2 months after one of them, and not by actually exercising, just not being careful with usual chores etc. It was not an experience I would recommend to anyone!
    My dr's rules were walking as soon as I felt like it, walking my way very slowly back to running (I do not think I attempted this the first few months) and no lifting or other exercise putting serious pressure on abs for at least 6 months.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    +I'm+ awful and I started lifting and running 5 weeks after my c section. My son is now 17-months-old and I still haven't had any issues. However, don't take advice from a girl on a forum... talk to you doctor... Everyone is different. --*/+
    +1+3
    3+
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    +I'm+ awful and I started lifting and running 5 weeks after my c section. My son is now 17-months-old and I still haven't had any issues. However, don't take advice from a girl on a forum... talk to you doctor... Everyone is different. --*/+
    +1+3
    3+

Wow sorry for all the random numbers... The toddler came over and started pressing on the key board and must have hit a bunch of numbers and, "post reply"
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    +1+3
    3+

Wow sorry for all the random numbers... The toddler came over and started pressing on the key board and must have hit a bunch of numbers and, "post reply"

Haha, I was wondering.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    don't over do it like i did! at 7 weeks i tried to start jogging again. not much just some and my incision became infected and had a small opening. i was so scared. so just walk. it's so not worth being stuck doing nothing for weeks because u over did it
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    after 4 months for me and i started off with resistance training with a resistance band , cord doing workout from giam 35 min per day 7 day perweek at that time
  • amaybee13
    amaybee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks post c section. This is my 3rd. Honestly everyone has been different. I started walking at 3 weeks post. Believe me it was plenty. I have now started turbo fire (mainly sticking to low impact) and lifting light weights. So far I feel great, but you should really see what your doctor says. Remember, you just had a major surger :wink: Let body heal and don't overdue it.
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me walking and moving were really important for the healing process. Obviously not at a quick pace though. The very next day after mine, I was walking my breast milk to the NICU for my twins, every 3 to 4 hours. It wasn't a terribly long distance, but enough to make my legs really sore since I had been on strict bedrest for 8 weeks. I agree with others check with your doctor on what is best for you. :)
  • jocey517
    jocey517 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i walked as much as I could for the first 6-8 weeks, tried running around 7 weeks but it really hurt and set my healing back. 8-10 weeks i gradually started jogging and doing Zumba and then after 10 weeks added weight lifting. abs and planks still would hurt and that took a while to build up gradually. I worked out through my pregnancy so i was extremely frustrated in myself when i had to do things gradually but have patience and you'll work back up to things:)