eating after cardio.

Options
hey guys! So basically everyone tells me to eat after I workout or it "won't count". the thing is, I'm trying to lose weight so does this rule still apply? I run everyday on the elliptical and usually burn from 200 to 700 calories. I don't want to eat after and gain all that back!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Whether you eat before or after or 2 or 4 or 6+ hours before or after exercising doesn't matter. Your body is always burning calories. Just focus on eating within your calorie goal and you'll be good.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The people that tell you that have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

Meal/nutrient timing - for your purposes - is absolutely meaningless. Eat when you want, such that you feel satisfied and keep up energy levels.
  • karensuegill
    karensuegill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have read and had fitness instructors say you need to eat some protein after a workout because you have just torn down your muscles so you need to build them back up. I've been doing that for almost 2 years now and am still losing just fine. You don't gain weight unless you eat more calories than you are burning.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat. Eat when you're hungry, or when you have time, or whatever. You're not going to gain weight because of what time you ate.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Depending on your goals, it does matter when/if you eat after you work out. For general weight loss and cardio, Peachy and others are right...it will not matter if you eat 15 min after or 3 hours after.

If you are one of those that wants to weigh themselves after they do cardio then, yes, your weight will change but that's obvious and its clearly not "insta-fat" or something like that....its just food weight and will process through.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless you are lifting heavy (in which case some extra protein after a workout may be a good idea), it doesnt really matter.

if ive had breakfast, im generally not hungry after a workout (i workout mid morning). if i skipped breakfast, im usually starving, and super ready for lunch!

so.... listen to your body. if you're hungry, eat.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    hey guys! So basically everyone tells me to eat after I workout or it "won't count". the thing is, I'm trying to lose weight so does this rule still apply? I run everyday on the elliptical and usually burn from 200 to 700 calories. I don't want to eat after and gain all that back!

Im not sure who is in this "basically everyone" crowd. Either way for your goals it does not matter. You are technically if using MFP numbers and stats suppose to eat back exercise calories.