What are your thoughts on walking?

Options
bcruz313
bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a treadmill and a stationary bike at home. I prefer using my treadmill, however I am not a big fan of running. I have in the past done walking/jogging intervals and had good results with that, but lately I've just been hopping on the treadmill and walking while watching a show on Netflix. I do not hold on to the bar and I vary the speed about every 1/4 mile just never to a jog. More like from comfortable to moderate to brisk to a fast walk and the back down again for roughly 2.5 - 3.5 miles depending on my steps for the day. I may not make it but a few minutes in my peak hr zone but I stay in the cardio and fat burn zones. I am just wondering if this is enough? I try and do a 30 min dvd or zumba 3-5x per week. The walking is pretty much so I can get my 10k steps in since I have a desk job. If I do not get my dvd or zumba in then I just walk those days. Is walking enough to still be able to lose weight?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for you heart and lungs but don't get it confused with losing weight. Cardio is not necessary to lose weight only eating in a deficit is. Walking can be used as a tool to be able to eat a little more calories a day but I wouldn't count on it to lose weight solely.
  • ChiefMichael
    ChiefMichael Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Walking is good for you heart and lungs but don't get it confused with losing weight. Cardio is not necessary to lose weight only eating in a deficit is. Walking can be used as a tool to be able to eat a little more calories a day but I wouldn't count on it to lose weight solely.

Agreed.

Walk everyday. Walk as much as you can. Anytime, anywhere. Walking is among the least injurious movements, as is cycling and swimming.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    bcruz313 wrote: »
    I may not make it but a few minutes in my peak hr zone but I stay in the cardio and fat burn zones. I am just wondering if this is enough?
    Yes.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love walking. Walk at a fast pace at least 30 minutes. Do this often and your legs will tone up and you will feel energized. Throw in a 5k of walking (roughly 3.6miles) now and then. Again, fast pace about 12 to 15 minutes per mile. Will get you toned and add to your calorie deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I love walking. I walk and I run but right now am on a walking kick. I don't pay any attention whatsoever to my heart rate or fat burning zone or anything like that. I just walk.
  • bcruz313
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am glad to hear other people enjoy walking too. As I get older I just don't feel like I have to exert myself as much to get a burn. Since I do vary the speed I do feel like I get a decent burn. Unfortunately I have gained a few pounds since the last time I worked out consistently so I just feel like walking/jogging is too hard on my knees right now. Maybe I will again in the future, but for now I am liking the routine I have been following.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That it's better than no exercise at all! Seriously, though, I had to start with walking because of asthma. I still can't really go faster than a walk, but it has helped out my breathing and while i'm not sure it's helped my weight loss that much (because i'm still trying to adjust calories burned), i do feel better for having walked twice a week since January. I'm mostly doing this to try and get my asthma under control instead of just being treated, but it's helping build a little muscle on my legs and work my heart out too.

What my physed teacher suggested is that I cycle my speed. Walk normally to warm up, push my speed for about 5 minutes to get my heart rate up to the cardio speed, slow down for 5 minutes, and repeat a couple of times. After about three rounds of that, walk normally for 10-20 minutes for recovery. I haven't quite gotten to that point yet, but I can hold a faster speed for longer now, so it is working.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Walking is great. Brisk walking is even better. You are doing your body a favour by doing anything so if you enjoy it, don't worry about it.

I don't want to try to change your mind on anything but I spotted this and have question and comment:
    Unfortunately I have gained a few pounds since the last time I worked out consistently so I just feel like walking/jogging is too hard on my knees right now.

Do you have any obvious knee issues? If not, you should not be concerned that extra weight poses a problem. Those knees of yours are carrying the extra weight already.

I started my journey back to fitness last September at 255 pounds, making me basically 100 pounds over my weight when I was a fit, fast, runner. What's more that's 100 pounds and more than a decade older than when I last ran regularly. Since September I'm down 54 pounds and haven't had a single knee issue all the way here. To date I've run 776km since I started. I'm 53.

There's no secret: start slow (I had absolutely zero choice in that, I couldn't do anything but) and don't overdo it.

I'm only pointing this out because a great many people equate running with knee problems they don't currently have but for some reason fear. If your knees are sound you shouldn't fear they'll be a problem... quite the contrary such exercise will benefit most.

Yes, I still like walking but, for me, running gives me the sort of cardio workout that I simply can't get from even super-brisk walking or even all but really intense cycling. I can lose weight without doing either but at the end of the road I want to emerge not just lighter but also far fitter. The bonus: you get to the fitness goal before the ultimate weight objective so I'm already enjoying all those benefits. :smile:
  • bcruz313
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Do you have any obvious knee issues? If not, you should not be concerned that extra weight poses a problem. Those knees of yours are carrying the extra weight already.

Busted. No, I do not have any obvious knee issues. I just remember in the past having a bit of knee pain when I did my walk/jog intervals and just pushing past it until I lost some of the weight. So...yes, I know I should probably do the same again and it will be fine even though that was some years ago. I guess I am just enjoying walking more right now. I have a love/hate relationship with running. I hate running but I love it when I'm finished. ;)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

Busted. No, I do not have any obvious knee issues. I just remember in the past having a bit of knee pain when I did my walk/jog intervals and just pushing past it until I lost some of the weight. So...yes, I know I should probably do the same again and it will be fine even though that was some years ago. I guess I am just enjoying walking more right now. I have a love/hate relationship with running. I hate running but I love it when I'm finished. ;)

I would stick with the walking, personally. Losing weight will help with the knee pain, and best do it now before it gets so bad you need surgery!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Walking is a big part of my program.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had what I thought were bad knees after a knee injury at 22. Twenty years later I started walking and a few months later (after building up to daily 6 mile walks) I started running. Between these two activities my knees are now much stronger and I never have the aches I used to get with changing weather. If you don't do anything though they will only deteriorate further. That's what I never learned until much later. Regular activity on your knees (walking or running) will strengthen not only your muscles, but the bones and tendons as well.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Walking, along with eating right, was the foundation of my change from obese to normal weight. When I started it was the main thing I did for exercise. Three years later, even though I do more intense workouts today, I still walk 5 miles a day during the week and hike almost every weekend. It's something I've grown to love and is very good for me.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I had what I thought were bad knees after a knee injury at 22. Twenty years later I started walking and a few months later (after building up to daily 6 mile walks) I started running. Between these two activities my knees are now much stronger and I never have the aches I used to get with changing weather. If you don't do anything though they will only deteriorate further. That's what I never learned until much later. Regular activity on your knees (walking or running) will strengthen not only your muscles, but the bones and tendons as well.

What he said! @WhatMeRunning 's experience isn't atypical. Use-it-or-lose-it baby!
    Busted. No, I do not have any obvious knee issues. I just remember in the past having a bit of knee pain when I did my walk/jog intervals and just pushing past it until I lost some of the weight.

That's great to hear, but not because I'm trying to convince you of anything.

Some knee pain can be as simple to resolve as proper stretching. For example ITB related pain on the outside edge of the knee is a common issue but once a runner is aware of how the Iliotibial Band - a ligament that runs from your knee up into your butt - can be stretched and maintained in a preventative manner, most runners don't ever suffer from ITB issues ever again. I've had ITB pain only once in my life when I was much younger so I knew how to avoid going there again.

Sedentary people becoming active often have to work through some minor but short term creakiness. Been there done that.

You may never grow to love running (but watch out, you already seem to like the post-run high!) and that's perfectly OK of course.

Keep moving forward!

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Agreed.

Walk everyday. Walk as much as you can. Anytime, anywhere. Walking is among the least injurious movements, as is cycling and swimming.

Bingo on both of these posts.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    My sister and I walk every morning at a good clip, early morning. It energizes us for the rest of the day and we burn some calories to start the day. This way, too, if we don't get to do anything else on a given day exercise wise at least we did something.
  • bcruz313
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I like hearing your own experiences. It is very encouraging. I've always felt like I needed to go hard to get results but I'm learning that isn't always true. :)
  • otey743
    otey743 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Walking is great I would throw in some fasting cardio any time you can . Walking on an empty stomach can burn up to 20% more fat . Keep up the hard work .
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I guess I am just enjoying walking more right now.

That's the important part, right there. Whatever activity you feel like doing is what you should do. Everyone is different.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I walk all the time. Love it.