Coffee While Dieting - Yes, or No???

Options
I have read recently of the negative effects of drinking coffee while trying to lose body fat. When I drink it, it's usually about 4 cups per day, and I use Sugar Free Coffee Mate (French Vanilla, Hazelnut). It's low-carb, low-sugar, and low-calorie.
So, do I need to cut out my coffee cold turkey?
Or, should I just cut out the Sugar Free Coffee Mate?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to cut out either. Just account for the calories in your logging.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to cut out either. Just account for the calories in your logging.

Yep.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Yes, this exactly. Count and log all that creamer. Even if it is low calorie at 4 cups of coffee a day, it will add up.
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    drink the coffee black if you can to save calories for food
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think people underestimate the calories in their loaded coffees...double-double here in Canada, or a Mocha Frappuccino at Starbucks (500 cals).

Your low calorie coffee works; continue to enjoy it.
  • PACO1481
    PACO1481 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm also facing the coffee issue....to drink it, or not to drink it??? Looking at several "clean eating" style diets, I was surprised to find some say coffee is ok/good, while others say NO to coffee. One said coffee caused inflamation, and didn't want you to even have decaf. But what can I say....love my coffee. I gave up creamer 2 yrs ago, and now I've switched from the usual artificial sweeteners to only organic stevia....so I decided that is enough change and I'm still going to drink my coffee. Usually 2-3 cups per day, but like I said...no cream, just stevia & caffeine. :-)
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't know why drinking coffee would hinder weight loss if it fits your calorie goals. I drink one cup a day with half & half and I'm losing just fine. Don't mess with my coffee!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every and all morning - still losing :) Like said...watch the creamer. I put almond milk in mine to help cut the unnecessary cals.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I probably drink 6 or 7 cups of coffee a day and I've been loosing. Log it and you will be fine.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    What are the negative effects you read?

I find it's a decent appetite suppressant. But even if it weren't, it's like no calories black, and I love it so...so much.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Coffee coffee coffee javajavajavajava...I partake in a cup...or 5. But I like mine black. Hasn't stopped my weight loss.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Just drink it if you like it coffee won't harm your weight loss.

Just out of pure curiosity (because little short of death will part me from my coffee) what is so bad about coffee and/or coffee mate?
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I cut creamer down, but I could never cut it out. When I am at home, I don't need it, I fresh grind beans and the coffee is good enough that it doesn't need anything. But the swill they serve at work....definitely need it for that lol.

To answer your question, just make sure you log it. Nothing wrong with coffee.
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have about four cups a day and seem to still be able to lose. Like others have said, if you log any creamer calories, you should be fine.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    what negatives? it's the GOAT beverage when cutting, no cals + energy + mild appetite suppression
  • calebfaii
    calebfaii Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    why on earth would coffee HINDER a diet??? caffeine has a wonderful metabolic effect. i couldn't dream of dieting with no coffee.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee creamy and not incredibly hot. So a tbsp or 2 of anything doesn't cut it for me. I use 1/4-1/2 cup (depending on the size of my mug) of unsweetened Vanilla almond milk and splenda.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    With coffee the answer is always yes.

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I drink several cups. I have my primary cup with my breakfast. I put one tbsp heavy cream, one tbsp butter, one tbsp coconut oil, one tbsp sugar-free creamer and two tbsp whipped cream. I sweeten with liquid stevia. It keeps me full for most of the day, which is wonderful.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    With coffee the answer is always yes.