Training for C25K...Need MORE supoprt..

Jentorres8814
Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
Hey MFP world ! I'm not new to the site...I actually lost 11 lbs so far since joining. The community is great and such wonderful tools here!

The real reason I'm posting is I have LOST my motivation food wise. I started training for my 1st 5k 4 weeks ago. Since started training I haven't watched what I ate and I have not weighed myself on a reg basis. There has been a few times where I have forgot to log in my food on the site.

I need to get my food motivation back. Not tracking my food to the 'T' and being held responsible for what I put in my mouth is making a HUGE diff in my training.

I'm looking for new friends..maybe some with running experience who can help push me to eat what I need to eat for training and to keep me focused on the events to come.

I'm a big girl..230lbs...running my 1st C25K....if that is not a feat I don't know what is LOL

Replies

• MissMegan3119
    MissMegan3119 Posts: 110
    I am sending you a friend request :) I too am beginning the C25K program, so we can motivate each other
  • moonlala
    moonlala Posts: 1
    Hi - Great job signing up for and training for a 5k that's great! I too have picked up a number of races this summer, starting with a 5K and going all the way through to a Marathon next year so that I can continue to always look ahead to the next step. The most important part I realized while training is to ALWAYS keep track of your food and calories. This is because you may not even be getting enough calories to match your training which means your body will start breaking down muscle and you will become more prone to injury and lose strength and performance. It's actually become really fun to put in my food and calorie burn because my goal is to always hit a "net" zero in terms of calories so if I burn way more than my net, I get to eat great foods to replace it! Have fun with it and give it a try and you will see everything shift. Good luck and enjoy!
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    We all go through ebbs and flows where we lose a little motivation and fall off the wagon. Since you've been training so hard you probably felt overwhelmed with so much to do. BUT.... Tracking your food and following up with MFP is one of the best things you can do for your training! Especially if you're using the exercise tracker! You can make notes in both the food journal and the exercise journal for days that went well and days that maybe didnt go quite as well. Maybe you had more energy one day and many times thats based on what you eat. I am an on again off again runner (Injuries have made me off again everytime I get geared up!) and I'm back on again right now. (I just had knee surgery 6 weeks ago). I know that it can be hard sometimes, but the reward of completing that 5K is worth it. It is addicting once you complete and you will want to do more!!! Then you will want to do a 10K and then a 1/2 marathon (which is what I'm aiming for in September!) Just keep positive, remember how far you've come and how far this can take you. Keep your eye on the prize and you'll really excell!

Feel free to add me if you like:)
  • jamieleo30
    jamieleo30 Posts: 5
    Hello , im jamie , im a keen runnner as fitness is part of my job. You need to start of by running in mmoderations to get your body used to the change in pace and breathing. There is no point in going balls out otherwise you will injure yourselve. While out set your self goals in the distance, i.e a static object and steadily run to it then walk , set another goal and run to that , or time yourself doing it , i.e run for a minute walk for 30 secounds run for a minute walk 30 secs. then gradually increase your running time and shorten your walking time. do this over a prolonged period though. dont go all guns blazing. Make sure to have a cool down period after you have finished running , then ensure to stretch off , i.e calfs etc etc otherwise you could cause damageto the muscels in your legs. If lacking in motivation , drag yourself out , i do a run every tue , wed , thu , fri , sometimes saturday. but im a half decent runner. if your ever stuck for any advice give a shout, im no expert like some people on here , but experts do get it wrong. This above methods are my personnel opinion. have fun and good luck
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Hi and welcome! You'll find the C25K a great motivator and will help you focus on the food too.

Here's some tips I put together for new runners, hope it helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Hey MFP world ! I'm not new to the site...I actually lost 11 lbs so far since joining.
    Congrats! That's fantastic!
    I'm looking for new friends..maybe some with running experience who can help push me to eat what I need to eat for training and to keep me focused on the events to come.

I'm a big girl..230lbs...running my 1st C25K....if that is not a feat I don't know what is LOL
    Very cool. Do not let your weight keep you from running! I'm a big boy -- 260, and I finished my first 5K a week ago, and am running my 2nd in a week. C25K has been wonderful. It allows you to ease into running, and you can always do it at your own pace. What I've learned along the way from C25K:

1) Schedule a race right now. Find one that's 9 weeks out. Even if you aren't done with the program by then, run/walk it anyway. My first race was so much fun. Running with other people was a great motivator.

2) Do not run on consecutive days. As good as you might feel, as confident as you may become, let your legs rest. Not resting can lead to fatigue, injury and decreased performance. Trust me.

3) Take it at your own pace. Don't worry about speed -- just build up your endurance. Speed will come later. If you aren't ready for the next week's run, repeat the current week. No big deal. At the same time, though...

4) Don't psyche yourself out when the big runs come. You can do it! I stopped looking at the schedule and just downloaded the podcasts. I wouldn't know what was coming each day until I turned it on and the gal told me. Loved it that way.

5) I loved the NHS Choices podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx) on my mp3 player. The gal has a great British accent, and she provides tips and encouragement, along with the walk/run cues.

6) Run outside. Even in the rain. It's so much better than running on a treadmill. Enjoy the sounds and sights.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    I was 227 lbs when I started. Today is day 1 of the last week for me. You can totally do it. ElExGordo has some great tips. Except the last one. I prefer the treadmill. lol I know I need to do it outside every now and then though as it's more difficult.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    I'm working up to a half in September (walking one tomorrow and goal is to run the next!)
    Believe me I know the ebbs and flows - I got completely off track for about 10 months after a foot injury last year! the important thing is to not get all caught up in the guilt of not being perfect and getting back on track as soon as you can! YOU CAN DO IT!

a couple of other hints I've incorporated in:
    mix up the workouts with other things - I've started doing strenth/cardio intervals and have a runner sister who also swears by biking and yoga

make sure I'm eating enough and the right things - especially enough protein!
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Alternate your "run" days with "walk" days and take one day of rest a week.
    If you feel you "failed" a week, do it over.
    Listen to your body.
    I enjoyed the following podcast:
    http://djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html
This discussion has been closed.