Apple shape vs pear shape?

Options
So I've heard about having an apple shaped body vs a pear shaped body, but I've never been able to figure out what it meant. Is it like your weight gravitates to your stomach if you're an apple or to your thighs / butt if you're a pear? I feel like I'm both right now, ha ha!

I'd like to figure out which I am, since I've heard being an apple shape puts you at more risk for heart disease.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So I've heard about having an apple shaped body vs a pear shaped body, but I've never been able to figure out what it meant. Is it like your weight gravitates to your stomach if you're an apple or to your thighs / butt if you're a pear? I feel like I'm both right now, ha ha!

I'd like to figure out which I am, since I've heard being an apple shape puts you at more risk for heart disease.

Yes, you pretty much got it right.

Apple shaped means that you have android fat distribution pattern so your fat is more through the middle. This is the most common pattern for men but women can have it too. Pear shaped means that you have a gynoid fat distribution pattern, which is generally seen as the more feminine shape where you carry more fat in your hips/thighs/butt.

h9991471_001.jpg

You can change over time too. I was very apple-ish when I was fat. Now I'm more ruler-like, which some people call banana shaped.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would define an apple shape as having your waist measurement be the same or bigger than your hips. You might have fairly thin legs.
    A pear shape to me would have hips that are measuring bigger than upper body and waist area. The thighs might be larger.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm an apple :/ I hate my fat belly. But I bet if I were pear shaped I'd hate my big butt lol. Kim kardashian and J Lo have made pear shape quite fashionable, no one likes a big round Buddha belly like mine lol
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I think the only advantage to the apple shape is we can pass for pregnant if we so choose.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I think the only advantage to the apple shape is we can pass for pregnant if we so choose.

Better parking spots!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

:naughty:

Inquiring minds want to know... Why?
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bypass the queue for the loo? Lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Better parking spots!

i hope youre kidding
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Lol been there done that!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Not that that was a desired affect that is!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I used to be an apple, but changed my genetics and became a pear.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

:naughty:

Inquiring minds want to know... Why?

If you are ever on a sinking ship, first one off.

Just one of many potential benefits.

Perhaps the apple shape has been evolutionarily selected for.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    No love for the banana shaped?
  • jemhh
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I'm very happy to have switched shape from apple to banana :)

Better parking spots!

i hope youre kidding

Of course I am.

Or am I?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No love for the old-fashioned hourglass? Why is no fruit shaped like one? I want to be a fruit, dammit! My hips and chest measure the same, and I have a relatively (12 inches smaller) waist. No appreciable belly fat. Just a small had-a-baby-at-40 pooch.

• girlviernes
    Options
    No love for the old-fashioned hourglass? Why is no fruit shaped like one? I want to be a fruit, dammit! My hips and chest measure the same, relatively (12 inches smaller) waist.

Gourd shaped?

FJ9CUDMFLROKM43.MEDIUM.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    No love for the old-fashioned hourglass? Why is no fruit shaped like one? I want to be a fruit, dammit! My hips and chest measure the same, relatively (12 inches smaller) waist.

Gourd shaped?

FJ9CUDMFLROKM43.MEDIUM.jpg

It's like looking in the mirror.

• jemhh
    Options
    I think of the hourglass and pear as pretty much the same.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think of the hourglass and pear as pretty much the same.

Hourglass has similar bust & hip measurements; pear is smaller bust and bigger hips...
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Partially.