20 pounds down and still big waist?

Options
20 pounds down and my waist is still the same. It doesn't look right at all. My stumack is so out there. What can I do to make it smaller, why is it so hard to loose stumack fat?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce and your stomach will lose it, as you lose more weight. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will come.
  • StormiLu
    StormiLu Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce and your stomach will lose it, as you lose more weight. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will come.

That's what I'm hoping for! I started doing more cardiovascular today!
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Some of us are just 'apples' and the tummy is the last to go... Sadly nothing for it but to keep going. Congrats on 20 pounds down! :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 20 pounds!

Unfortunately, a lot of people run into the same problem with stomachs that want to stick around. The only thing I can suggest is to keep plugging along.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Is it definitely fat and not bloating or water retention?
  • StormiLu
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Is it definitely fat and not bloating or water retention?

It's all three I think
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Your body will lose where and when it wants to lose. You must be more stubborn than your waist. As I must be more stubborn than my hips.... ;)
  • Nerruse
    Nerruse Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. All of my excess weight is on my stomach and thighs. It's annoying the heck out of me to still have that same old stomach pooch, although it is slowly shrinking. I just keep at it. Once I hit my GW I'll be working on converting whatever's left of it into muscle elsewhere with some slow recomp cause I don't like the idea of bulking right after I went through the effort of losing it all.

If you're close to your cycle you might also be holding some extra excess water/bloating which can mask some of the loss around that area.

It is frustrating though. There are people who weigh significantly more than I who wear smaller pant sizes...c'mon body, really? =/Pfft. We'll both get there eventually!
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    the belly is the last thing to go! just keep at it, eat clean, workout and it will come off eventually :)
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    one thing I've done towards reducing the size of my stomach -- in conjunction with diet and cardio -- is core and ab work. As i lose weight, my torso has been tightened and pulled in and I've trimmed through there.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    StormiLu wrote: »
    20 pounds down and my waist is still the same. It doesn't look right at all. My stumack is so out there. What can I do to make it smaller, why is it so hard to loose stumack fat?

I have the same problem. After losing 24 pounds, it's finally starting to go down (I'm 5'2") and I don't look like a 62 yo preggo anymore. Yes, I still have a big stomach, but I still have 36 pounds to go. BTW, I live in Lexington, NC, nice to see someone here who lives in my "neighborhood"!
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35+ and I feel like I've noticed changes everywhere but my stomach. The clothes are the real tell! Keep doing your thing!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Fellow apple here. *sad wave*

Just keep losing, it'll go down.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Word. I finally went down a pants size because my legs and butt are deflating. The pants are too snug in the waist to go down another size, yet are still too loose in the legs and butt.
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 40 pounds and my stomach looks the same to me....stupid belly..... grr :smiley: I have gone from a size 24 jean to a loose size 18. Give yourself time, try some firming exercises. And most of all.... Congratz on losing 20 pounds!
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Firstly are you measuring your waist with a tape measure? You may be surprised that you indeed have lost a few inches. Secondly if you have other health issues, maybe get your hormone levels checked; retaining weight around the midsection doesn't always mean that something is off but there's a chance. Thirdly, fat can just be stubborn. Make sure you're doing both cardio and weight lifting, tracking everything, not depriving yourself, and being patient. Look for poor eating patterns: there's nothing wrong with indulging every once in a while, but I find that when my stress levels spike I end up doing things like eating pastries every day for a week without noticing, unless I write it down. But just be gentle with yourself; if the weight is meant to come off, it will come off. :)
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have the same damn problem. I been stressing out too... Which I shouldn't be because I just lost 15 pounds and it didn't come off right away and it took a lot of time and effort. I just have to keep at it. As you get to a lower body fat you can start weight training and doing some ab workouts to tighten up the area but it won't happen while it's still fat
  • StormiLu
    Options
    StormiLu wrote: »

I have the same problem. After losing 24 pounds, it's finally starting to go down (I'm 5'2") and I don't look like a 62 yo preggo anymore. Yes, I still have a big stomach, but I still have 36 pounds to go. BTW, I live in Lexington, NC, nice to see someone here who lives in my "neighborhood"!

Well hello NC friend! Well it don't look like it in my picture but it's therthefe.re. pictures are very decieving

• StormiLu
    Options
    Word. I finally went down a pants size because my legs and butt are deflating. The pants are too snug in the waist to go down another size, yet are still too loose in the legs and butt.

Yes I have that same problem!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I felt the same until I compared my measurements and i was down several inches! Measure yourself