Successfully completed day 2 of C25K but I feel like my legs are going to fall off now

Options
johnnyr24
johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I workout all the time however I just am not much of a runner but I would love to be able to run. I decided to download that couch to 5k app on my phone or as people call it the C25K. I knew when I started yesterday that it isn't going to be easy but if I work hard at it I can adjust and become a good runner at some point. Problem is it's only day 2 of following the program and I already feel like my legs are about to fall off. They hurt like crazy I can barely walk and my mucsles have tensed up and gotten real tight but I have not pulled anything. Also I stretch before every workout and I make sure bring my water bottle.

What was your experience like when you started the C25K program? Or for those who never used it but do active running what was your experience like when you started running? Did you ever feel like you were just going to collapse or fall down at first? How long did it take you to adjust to the running where you didn't feel like you were going to collapse and is there something you do so that your muscles don't get tight?

Replies

• KatinaC92
    KatinaC92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one who feels that way! I never ran before -- the most I could run was probably 30 seconds and I would feel exhausted. The first week for me was really tough because it's a jolt. You go from barely running (or in my case, never running) to suddenly having to do 1 minute-2 minute intervals and I can tell you I felt like I wanted to pass out.

For me, the breathing and my heart rate were the toughest parts. I did feel like I wanted to collapse sometimes. My legs did hurt the first two weeks, but never too bad. So it could be normal soreness from your activity change. If at any time it feels like really bad pain like a sprain or shooting pain, it could be because you're starting this new routine or it could be your sneakers/the type of floor you're running on/etc. Also check your running form -- often the way you land on your foot can affect the impact on your legs.

I started the program in mid-February, stuck through it to the end, and just completed my first 5k on april 19th. Jogged the whole thing, and in a little under 40 minutes. Was I the best? Absolutely not. Out of 139 people, I was #116 to finish. BUT I DID IT. And you definitely can too. Your body will definitely adjust, but I can't say it ever really gets easy at all. That's because the program demands more from you each week so you're constantly pushing your limits. So many times I wanted to quit but I forced myself to do it and I feel better for it now that I actually finished. So keep up the good work! The mental is harder to battle than the physical - your body knows what it can handle and trust me it can probably handle more than you think.

Best of luck!
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was gonna die and not finish the program. I even gave up. Then my BF at the time encouraged me to go at it again. I was on the treadmill and decided to take my training outside and run around a very popular running lake. It was tough and it's hard to believe it, but I finished the program. I went from running 30 second intervals to 30 minutes straight. it's hard to believe but it can be done!
  • pineson
    pineson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Totally , I was running 6k on the treadmill and found it very hard , started running outside and found it even harder , but each time it does get easier and you get stronger , the thing I learnt is that recovery and rest is part of the training ☺
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I am finishing up week 4 and my legs were in pain the first week even though I was exercising before starting C25K (bike riding on a trainer all winter). Now my legs don't hurt nearly as much as they did in week 1 - so it will get better.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I thought it was supposed to be done every other day, not every day.
  • johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. Weirdly though I have run on the treadmill before and I have not had any sort of pain or problems on the treadmill itself. It's when I started running outside that I start to experience these problems. I'm never out of breath so I felt the need to challenge myself and run a bit faster and I am full of energy it's just that my legs start hurting and my muscles get tight so I feel like I have to stop for a moment to give myself time to catch up and as soon as I start running again the pain returns. I never heard anything about C25K being an ever other day thing unless I just missed it.

I didn't see anything listed on the app either it just lists them as day 1 day 2 and so forth and for each day it tells you what you should do for your running and of course the timer reminds you when it's time to switch from running to walking. But at least it is good to know I am not the only one who has had this problem. Hopefully with time I can get better adjusted to the running so I won't have to deal with the muscles being tight or the leg pain. I usually work out 6 days a week so I'm thinking maybe I should alternate like one day for running and the next for something else like weight lifting or something.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    When I started c25k, I was not even able to complete day 1. I was breathing, and panting so hard after just trying to run for 90 seconds that I thought I was going to die. But, I kept at it.

I go through four weeks, and took a couple months off because I started weight lifting. When I got back to it, I was barely able to run for two minutes straight. But, I kept at it...

From April 1st when I started again (although I'm doing my own thing loosely based off of c25k), I have increased my run time from six two minute intervals, to four seven-and-a-half minute intervals. So, I have gained 18 minutes total, and 5.5 minutes per run interval since the beginning of April.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try running slower. Slow enough you can talk at the same time. In a few days your cardiovascular system will catch up and it will get a ....little.... easier.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The second day of each week was always the hardest for me. Day one, I'd think "Woo! Yeah! I got this!" then the second day, I think I'd push myself just a little harder and I'd think, "UGH! I can't!" Then day three, I'd be back to "Woo! Yeah!"

And yeah, it's supposed to be three days a week, or every other day.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Run slower. That's the hardest lesson I had to learn. Don't run, jog.
    In C25K you're going for distance first. Once you've got the distance down you can get the speed up.

Also I switched to Zombies5k because it has a storyline and now I really want to know what's going on. The only way to do it is to jog it.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Stick with it, make sure you aren't running too fast, and don't forget to stretch afterwards. It will get better, guaranteed.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    What I found that helped me was getting fitted for shoes at a specialty store. Found out I have really high arches and getting the proper support has made a world of difference. I've also started foam rolling (hurts like no other at the time but really helps) and I ice my shins and calves the day of and the day after I run. I wait at least a day between runs but will wait longer if my legs are particularly sore. Running on a treadmill will be lower impact than running on concrete so that's why you may have noticed a difference when you switched surfaces.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I never really felt like that.. it was really hard and my legs felt like jello but I kept pushing. Definitely wearing good shoes helps and going at a steady pace. You should be able to talk to someone while running.
  • MsNeumann
    MsNeumann Posts: 75 Member
    Options

What I found that helped me was getting fitted for shoes at a specialty store. Found out I have really high arches and getting the proper support has made a world of difference. I've also started foam rolling (hurts like no other at the time but really helps) and I ice my shins and calves the day of and the day after I run. I wait at least a day between runs but will wait longer if my legs are particularly sore. Running on a treadmill will be lower impact than running on concrete so that's why you may have noticed a difference when you switched surfaces.

^^ This is exactly what I was going to say. Both about the shoes and the foam roller. And be sure to skip the day in between running sessions. I got fitted for shoes and was told I needed a full size bigger than I've ever worn before. Running makes your feet spread out a bit so you need comfy shoes. I love mine now and am surprised when the c25k chick tells me to start my cool down. Good luck!
  • ambersanford204
    ambersanford204 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey Johnny! I am doing the program right now as well. I think I am on week 5. I have always been a runner off and on, but it has never been easy for me. Even with the C25K, every day is different. A lot of good suggestions here - get good shoes [this makes an unbelievable difference], stretch both before and after your workout, slow it down to a jog instead of a run, make sure you are getting the protein, carbs, and glucose to fuel your run [just don't eat within 2 hours of running], and drink plenty of water the day before your run.

My personal opinion:
    I don't think you need to hydrate during your run because this can cause cramps. Just make sure you drink plenty of water on your off days and prior to running so you feel good. Unless your run is long or it is extremely hot, I wouldn't bring water. Sometimes chewing a piece of gum helps to keep me salivating so my mouth doesn't get dry. Maybe you could give that a try? Nothing super minty though!
    Don't run two days in a row at first. You need to let your muscles recover. Try every other day or even every two days since you already have a great workout routine on your off-days. Protein powder with low-fat milk within 30 minutes of finishing your run can help your muscles recover faster.
    If I am in the middle of the run and my legs start to cramp, I will sometimes drop down and do some push-ups to get some blood flowing to my arms instead. It distracts me from the leg pain and only takes a minute. Do this during your 'walk' portion so you don't miss out on the jogging.

Jogging outside is much different than on a treadmill and it is almost like starting all over again when you switch between the two. On my treadmill I usually do a slight incline [like 1.5] so moving outside is a little easier. At an incline you have to work a little harder to push yourself forward even with the belt moving. I think it mimics the concrete a bit more.

Good luck! If you want to be friends on the app let me know! We can help each other along!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    johnnyr24 wrote: »
    I workout all the time however I just am not much of a runner but I would love to be able to run. I decided to download that couch to 5k app on my phone or as people call it the C25K. I knew when I started yesterday that it isn't going to be easy but if I work hard at it I can adjust and become a good runner at some point. Problem is it's only day 2 of following the program and I already feel like my legs are about to fall off. They hurt like crazy I can barely walk and my mucsles have tensed up and gotten real tight but I have not pulled anything. Also I stretch before every workout and I make sure bring my water bottle.

What was your experience like when you started the C25K program? Or for those who never used it but do active running what was your experience like when you started running? Did you ever feel like you were just going to collapse or fall down at first? How long did it take you to adjust to the running where you didn't feel like you were going to collapse and is there something you do so that your muscles don't get tight?

Slow down and then slow down some more. The running intervals should be slow. They can be even slower than a fast walk. There are no rules that work for everyone, soem will do fine, others will have problems with pain, others will be out of breath. In your case, your body is telling you you need to slow down, a lot. Take rest days, make sure to stretch a lot, including after the run and ignore speed or distance, listen to your body and do not be afraid to slow down.