Salads with cabbage

Options
chelsmaee7
chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
after spending years and years trying to eat lettuce but hating it, I finally gave raw cabbage a try and I actually like it. Since I've never eaten a salad I was hoping to get some ideas for different things I can add to it! What are you favorite things to put on your salad?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Cabbage pairs very well with fruit like clementines and Asian inspired dressings with sesame oil and seeds and soy sauce. You can also add chicken or lean pork for protein.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Cabbage pairs very well with fruit like clementines and Asian inspired dressings with sesame oil and seeds and soy sauce. You can also add chicken or lean pork for protein.

Fantastic ideas.

I love coleslaw. I buy Marie's Yogurt Coleslaw dressing and will add cabbage, carrots, cilantro, some peapods, and the dressing. I'll also toss grilled chicken breast in it to make it more of a meal and less of a side dish.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

I agree! I love shredded cabbage with an Asian peanut dressing, grilled chicken, scallions and cilantro. I also like it with a lime vinaigrette.

Also, if you hate lettuce, try different kinds for more variety. Baby spinach can be nice and romaine is way better than iceburg. There's also a lot of spring mixes available. Pretty much anything is better than iceburg, especially if it's a pre-chopped iceburg.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love the Asian style cabbage salad - so good! If you want to cook it, I recommend checking out the variations of crack slaw. I even take picadillo from my freezer and mix it with sauteed coleslaw when I'm super hungry, but don't want to use a lot of calories.
  • jlmoormann
    jlmoormann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate lettuce too. I have 5-7 cabbage salads a week. I make one with kidney beans, red onion and shredded chicken. Mix up a little bit of salsa and white vinegar and mix it altogether. It's great after it's soaked a bit. Then when I pack it up for lunch, I throw in some fresh grape tomatoes, avocado, green onions and cilantro.

I make a similar salad as above but with a garlic peanut base sauce (garlic, P2B, a drop or two of sesame oil, and a bit of soy sauce and lime juice). For that one I toss in the chicken, celery and shredded carrots. Again, before eating I add avocado and fresh basil. Adding in the fresh herbs really does it for me with most things.

Stole both of the salad ideas from the Total 10 thing and doctored them up a bit.

I also use it in summer rolls (instead of noodles) and homemade mu-shu. Straight, raw cabbage is a bit too tough for me, but letting it sit with a bit of something vinegar base softens it up just a bit and I like it that way.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodle cabbage salad. I could live off that stuff I think.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like Sweet & Sour Slaw.....

Cabbage, peppers, shredded carrots, celery, onions.....oil, sugar, vinegar, salt, and some mustard.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Shredded cabbage with dried cranberries or cherries and sunflower seeds and a sweet 'n sour dressing is tasty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    chelsmaee7 wrote: »
    after spending years and years trying to eat lettuce but hating it, I finally gave raw cabbage a try and I actually like it. Since I've never eaten a salad I was hoping to get some ideas for different things I can add to it! What are you favorite things to put on your salad?

I actually use greens for my salad base (not lettuce) and I toss shredded cabbage in there. I also like to throw in cucumbers, carrots, mung beans, red onion, grape tomatoes, and feta. Sometimes I dice up some grilled chicken and throw it on there, but I generally prefer to just eat the chicken separately along with my avocado.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Shredded cabbage, add tomato, cucumbers, avocado, and cilantro... and just squeeze lime juice and sprinkle salt over it and mix. This is my go to salad. :yum:
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I started phasing out lettuce in favor of cabbage and kale based salads. The biggest pro in my mind is that cabbage just holds up so much better over time than lettuce. Much crunchier, doesn't get too limp or soggy under dressing until it is basically ready to be thrown out anyway. I have a chicken salad with my lunch that is basically grilled chicken mixed with cole slaw mix and tzatziki.
  • ambersanford204
    ambersanford204 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love chopped cabbage salads! I usually do green and red cabbage with kale, carrots. Add some cheese cubes, cucumber, and green onion too. Yum. Add some cilantro when into the food processor with the cabbage and kale if you are going to do a spicy dressing.
    A good idea if you want to switch up flavors is to check the ingredient list on the bagged chopped salads and just make your own using those. Then you can make your own dressing or use one of your favorites.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use the Asian Salad Mix in Thai Chicken Wraps.

1.5oz Tyson pre-cooked chicken strips
    1 wrap of your choosing, or tortilla. (I use the FlatOut brand)
    1 tbsp Thai peanut sauce (I use Lee Ann Chin)
    cabbage salad mix

Smear the wrap with the sauce, heat the chicken up and put on the wrap, add as much of the cabbage mix as you want, roll it up and eat. For me about 270 calories each, very tasty, and very satisfying. A bit high in sodium though.

Also consider trying broccoli coleslaw mix as a salad base. I love it in salads and wraps.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    My mom's cabbage salad recipe (sadly, I've never been able to get the proportions right):

shredded cabbage + oil, vinegar, salt, oregano if green cabbage, parsley if red

All it needs.
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I have so many different ways to try it now! I've tried all kinds of lettuce but it's just never worked out for me but I've always liked coleslaw (and eggrolls) so I decided to give cabbage a try. I also love how cheap it is and how much longer it lasts!! Can't wait to try these ideas out.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I add tuna, quinoa, olives, smoked cheese, apple cider vinegar, & canola mayo or olive oil to my shredded cabbage. In fact I had it for lunch today. Haha. I also lightly sprinkle salad/pasta elegance(johnny seasoning brand) on top with extra black pepper. I could seriously eat this every darn day. Hehe
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Napa Cabbage Salad is delicious but SO high in calorie with tons of oil, butter, and sugar! And ramen noodles!