Help! Can I go from a UK 10 to an 8 in 10 weeks?!

Options
Okay, okay so before anyone tortures me for already being a healthy weight - my excuse is valid! I'm getting married in 10 weeks and I just literally brought the most beautiful vintage dress in London - I am seriously in love with it! However, it's just too tight to be comfortable at the moment, I can only just about squeeze myself into it - and I dont want to have it adjusted. It's just an estimate but I think I'd have to drop 10-15 lbs to be comfortable in it. Has anyone managed this in 10 weeks? Is it even possible???

(Forgot to mention, Im 5'5/6 - currently 135 lbs, average frame?)

Replies

• r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm sure you're going to get a lot of answers here, but seeing as you are already at low weight/healthy weight for your height, I'm going to say no not a good idea to even consider trying to lose ten pounds in 10 weeks. Also, the less you have to lose, the slower and harder it will be to do so.
    Any way to get the dress altered?
    And congratulations on your wedding! Best wishes to you! (Please consider another route besides trying to lose 10lbs! You have more important/better things to worry about...like getting married!)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Have the dress altered and enjoy your lovely day!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do alterations:

I think 5-10 would be a reasonable goal. 15 would probably be too aggressive (meaning: take a LOT of work and adherence, potentially make you miserable, maybe not be healthy). Wedding and amazing vintage dress should mean you spend the next 10 weeks all excited, not miserable, and you're going to need your energy and an even temper, which aggressive dieting can compromise.

That said, it might be less stressful to do the alteration.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Go to a seamstress and have it altered. That seems like an aggressive goal for such a short time frame.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one wondering why the OP didn't just buy the dress in her current size?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Am I the only one wondering why the OP didn't just buy the dress in her current size?

its a vintage dress, so likely it was the ONLY dress ;)
  • doylejohnpaul787
    doylejohnpaul787 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    misskarne, because vintage dresses come in the size of the woman they were made for originally.
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

I'm going to guess since she says it's "vintage," it likely came from a vintage store and not from a standard dress shop. You can't help what you fall in love with.

OP - Since you're already at a very healthy weight, I'd go to your local gym and see what you can do to tone in addition to a reasonable weight loss goal. Best of luck!
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well, I found that in the smaller sizes, losing a size went much faster than in larger sizes. The difference between a uk 10 and 8 is less than between larger sizes.

A pound a week is a reasonable goal (yes, even at a lighter weight--I had no problem losing at a pound a week, all the way down to 117), but it will take close adherence to your calorie goal. Are you willing to weigh everything to ensure you're eating what you want to be eating? If you do want to lose ten pounds, you won't have much wiggle room in your intake. Are you able to easily keep to your calorie allotment and not "cheat" or splurge for ten weeks? If you have that kind of willpower, then give it a try. Evaluate how you're doing in four or five weeks, and if you haven't lost four or five pounds, then I'd suggest looking into alterations at that time.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* I read it as a dress in the vintage style, not necessarily an older dress made for someone else.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Can you wear shapewear under the dress?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I would think your best option is to get it altered. Imagine if you try to lose the weight and then a week before your wedding you lost 2 pound not 10 and don't have time to alter it and you end up being married in a potato sack with head and arm holes cut out.

Did you think about that????
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As the poster above pointed out, it's a lot safer to just alter the dress so you KNOW it'll fit, because there's always a chance that even if you try really, really hard, you just won't lose the weight you wanted to. Then you'll spend your wedding day feeling uncomfortable and, if it's tight in the way that the ill-fitting bridesmaid dress I wore last summer was, dizzy from lack of oxygen on account of your ribcage being unable to expand against the crushing pressure of the corseted satin. 0/10; would not recommend. (I ended up taking a suit jacket from one of the groomsmen and wearing it most of the night in order to cover up the fact that I had the dress unzipped as far down as my waist. I just kept telling everyone I was cold.)

Research seamstresses in your area and find one with really good reviews so you know they can be trusted with an irreplaceable dress, and have the seams loosened just a little bit. It'll be worth it.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It would be difficult, but probably possible. I would say go for it for about a month and a half, see if you are making progress, and then take it to be altered if need be. Congrats!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Jamaelsh wrote: »
    It's just an estimate but I think I'd have to drop 10-15 lbs to be comfortable in it. Has anyone managed this in 10 weeks? Is it even possible???
    (Forgot to mention, Im 5'5/6 - currently 135 lbs, average frame?)
    Yes, it's possible....but as you are at a good weight already it will be hard! Believe me i know....it was v. hard for me to lose just 5 pounds (at 5'4 and 135).
    I think maybe you could go to your local Gym and ask them to put you on a lifting program. I've seen many Ladies on MFP that swear by weightlifting.
    It actually changes your shape without having to lose too many pounds.
    Cardio and healthier eating will obviously help too.....but maybe check out a lifting program.

• JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would take it to a seamstress now and see if it is possible to take it out. If so, I wouldn't have it done right away but arrange to have it altered in 8 weeks time when you will know if you have managed to lose a few pounds.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd just get it altered.

I'm not 100% but the difference between a uk 10 and a 8 is almost certainly NOT 15lbs. You could probably fit into it better if you dropped only 5-7lbs? if you can get into it now you can't be far off? I'm roughly your weight and swing between a uk 6-8 in trousers/skirts at 5'5 (I seem to carry my fat internally) with a weight variation of about 7lbs. Trust me, the smaller the size the fewer lbs it takes to change dress size/fit into snug dresses etc.

You should be fine to lose about 5lbs in ten weeks if you really don't want to get it altered.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What if you do not lose as fast as you wish or if you lose at the wrong places?
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest all the suggestions! Try to loose about 5lbs (.5/wk) see a tailor, find some "supportive" undergarments (nothing crazy, see spanx) and, if you can, lift heavy to tone up.

Something is bound to work a bit!

Congratulations!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Aim for 1lb- 1 1/2lbs a week, every 10lbs usually means a drop in dress size.
    Could the dress be let out? a professional dressmaker could tell you that.
    And a workout like the 30 day shred really is great for inch loss all over, if you stick with it every day for 30 days as well as keeping an eye on the calories. Any time I did it I lost loads of inches and I'm a size 8/10 myself :smile:

I lost 20lbs slowly over a year and am down almost 3 dress sizes but I workout a lot :smiley: