Ways to get the body out of plateau

Options
I took 2 weeks off from eating healthy and exercising hoping to jumpstart my metabolism when I start back again next week. Before my 2 weeks of unhealthiness, I weighed 247 and now I gained over 10 pounds which is possibly water weight. I tried many techniques for 2 months to get the scale to move to a lower number, however, it did not budge. That is when I decided to take a week break

I need help

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Fewer calories
    More exercise
  • Machka9
    Options
    Of course, this does raise a number of questions:

How many calories are you currently consuming?
    Do you weigh your food?
    What are you doing for exercise?
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Fewer calories
    More exercise

That's what I have implemented in the past and still no results

• DeterminedbyGod
    Options

Do you weigh your food?

I eat 2480 calories a day. I do a lot of cardio. Things like kick boxing and running.... and other types of cardio workout and yes I weigh my food
  • Machka9
    edited May 2015
    Options

Do you weigh your food?

I eat 2480 calories a day. I do a lot of cardio. Things like kick boxing and running.... and other types of cardio workout and yes I weigh my food

Why 2480? That seems really high to me. I know you weigh more than I do, but still ... have you tried dropping that to, say, 2000?

(I'm down at 1250 calories)

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Do you weigh your food?

How do you know you are eating exactly 2,480 calories a day?
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I feel like 2480 is high as well. I started out at 264lbs and 2000 calories.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I took 2 weeks off from eating healthy and exercising hoping to jumpstart my metabolism when I start back again next week. Before my 2 weeks of unhealthiness, I weighed 247 and now I gained over 10 pounds which is possibly water weight. I tried many techniques for 2 months to get the scale to move to a lower number, however, it did not budge. That is when I decided to take a week break

I need help

There's no 'jumpstart' to your metabolism. It's not a car battery.

To lose weight, consume fewer calories than you burn.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    I never tried that. When I would lo

Do you weigh your food?

Why 2480? That seems really high to me. I know you weigh more than I do, but still ... have you tried dropping that to, say, 2000?

When I would log it into MFP it says it is not enough calories for me

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Have you lowered your calories as you've lost weight? If not, it's time to recalculate.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You're consuming more calories than you think you are, period. Be more diligent in your food logging, and use a food scale if you don't already.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    Options

Do you weigh your food?

I log it into MFP

• DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    I also do not eat that many calories a day. That is whats recommended for me toe at. I eat at least 1980
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Do you weigh your food?

I log it into MFP

I could log 300 calories a day into MFP; doesn't mean I actually only ate that. Do you weigh your foods? Do you pre-plan your meals? How do you KNOW it's 2,480 calories???
  • DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    I weigh my food all the time ever since I started weight loss. I started at 316 pounds and now or 2 weeks ago I was 247. could it be my body is use to the routine
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Also, do you eat your exercise calories back? If so, try eating only half back, or none back at all. Calorie burn is an estimate at best, and usually it is an extremely poor one making you think you're burning WAY more than you actually are.

My gym cardio routine lasts about 75 minutes, and includes jogging a 5k along with HIIT on the elliptical. My fitness band tells me I burn somewhere in the area of 1200 - 1400 calories in that time span. There is absolutely no way I'm burning anywhere close to that amount.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I never tried that. When I would lo

Do you weigh your food?

When I would log it into MFP it says it is not enough calories for me

What do you mean that MFP says it is not enough calories for you?

I cannot complete my entry if I enter less than 900 calories in a day ... are you saying that MFP is giving you that message when you enter less than 2000 calories?

• Machka9
    Options
    I also do not eat that many calories a day. That is whats recommended for me toe at. I eat at least 1980

So how much do you eat each day? 2480 or 1980?

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I would suggest fewer calories, like way fewer. Try 1500 calories for a few weeks.
    Hold off on additional exercise until you get your calorie deficit figured out and you are losing the amount of weight that matches your deficit.

In other words, if you have a 1000 calorie deficit and you actually lose 2 pounds a week.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing that amount of weight! Have you adjusted your calorie goal downward as you've lost?