Apple shape vs pear shape?

Options
2»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm human shaped. And all this time I had no idea I was interacting with so many fruit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The formulas listed here are pretty interesting.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_body_shape
    TiffanyR71 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think of the hourglass and pear as pretty much the same.

Hourglass has similar bust & hip measurements; pear is smaller bust and bigger hips...

You are right. I tend to lump them together in my mind because I think of them as one big mega called "curvy in the ideal places." It was interesting to see that the Wikipedia article noted a study that found far more rectangular shaped women than hourglass and spoon (pear) combined.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm a rectangle. Bust and hips are the same but waist is only about 5 inches smaller. I become more hourglass the thinner I get, but still a banana or rectangle. That's what ia lot of women are I think. If I got really, really overweight I would probably turn into an apple eventually.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I think the only advantage to the apple shape is we can pass for pregnant if we so choose.

Unless we're 62 . . .
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Aw. I used to measure 34, 29, 44. Serious pear. I've definitely lost some of my pearness.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can change shape! I used to be somewhat of a pear. Now I'm still slightly pearish but my shoulders are wider than my hips, but I don't have big breast. Some kind of mix-shape I guess
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't think we can all change shapes. If fat was giving you most of your shape, then yeah. But from 140 lbs to 305 lbs my shape has remained the same.... I have an inverted triangle/apple shape that becomes more pronounced the more I lose weight.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    No love for the old-fashioned hourglass? Why is no fruit shaped like one? I want to be a fruit, dammit! My hips and chest measure the same, and I have a relatively (12 inches smaller) waist. No appreciable belly fat. Just a small had-a-baby-at-40 pooch.

I saw it referred to as butternut shaped. Butternuts must look different in other countries.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Hourglass has similar bust & hip measurements; pear is smaller bust and bigger hips...

You are right. I tend to lump them together in my mind because I think of them as one big mega called "curvy in the ideal places." It was interesting to see that the Wikipedia article noted a study that found far more rectangular shaped women than hourglass and spoon (pear) combined.

Yup, us hourglasses are actually rare, and therefore more special ;) (just jokes, we're all special). A lot of people think they are hourglass when they are not, comes down to waist to hips/bust ratio (as I imagine Wikipedia already told you!).
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No love for the old-fashioned hourglass? Why is no fruit shaped like one? I want to be a fruit, dammit! My hips and chest measure the same, relatively (12 inches smaller) waist.

Gourd shaped?

FJ9CUDMFLROKM43.MEDIUM.jpg

It's like looking in the mirror.

I just scared my dog laughing so loud and hard. You made my night. Gourds unite!
    :D
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Apples tend to have killer legs and boobs.

I'm a pear/ruler, more of a ruler when thinner. Have a bit of podge around the middle at the moment. Age changes your distribution too, I think, via hormones - stomach used to be flat at this weight. Or it could be because of the weight I carried in the past, I dunno.

I don't know about pears feeling curvy in the "right" places. Many dislike both their lower and upper halves - hard to lose enough fat to get sleek or athletic legs, can't be buxom without assistance - lots of people get down about their parts (on a part by part basis) because they're the opposite of most contemporary feminine beauty ideals. It's a pretty overall silhouette, imo (as is true for all the shapes/fruits!), but I've had to do a bit of work to see it that way.

The 1920s were our time :/

metro220.jpg
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Yup, us hourglasses are actually rare, and therefore more special ;) (just jokes, we're all special). A lot of people think they are hourglass when they are not, comes down to waist to hips/bust ratio (as I imagine Wikipedia already told you!).

I tried to figure out my shape based on that wiki link and it seems I'm what I thought I was: an hourglass (though possibly leaning toward a bottom hourglass; I have ~2 in difference between bust-hips, 13 in between waist-hips). :D When people tell me they're jealous of my shape/waist-hip ratio, I tell them finding trousers that fit is a massive headache. I have big thighs, so any trousers that fit them inevitably have like four inches of extra fabric in the waist.

Also? Thanks to @girlviernes, I'm now going to start referring to myself as gourd shaped in any apple/pear discussions. :smiley:
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    At my biggest, I was an apple. As I started losing… then I became more banana. But I feel like I've become more like a pine tree these days! Tall… Smaller on top and just gradually tapering outward! :/ What do they call that?
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    So I carry all my weight in my belly, but it's pretty low so I have a waist too.

WTF fruit, define me!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

That was a really interesting read! I was surprised by the prevalence of rectangles and the relative rarity of hourglasses... particularly given how many women like to consider themselves hourglass. I think most of them probably aren't.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    So I carry all my weight in my belly, but it's pretty low so I have a waist too.

WTF fruit, define me!

My weight has gotten lower in my belly as I've lost fat. Now it's a lovely sag, lol.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am pear-shaped and I blame my mother HAHAAHHAA - but there's a huge benefit to it - pear-shaped fat distribution means lack of visceral fat - as all the internal organs of the body are located hips and above (ones that can accumulate visceral fat). So if you have a small waist, that's a real blessing - leads to a longer life span.