Runkeeper or Runtastic or other

Options
MIM49
MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
Do you use one of these apps and if so, which one and why? I have been using Runkeeper which is connected to MFP to log my exercise. I just got a Fitbit ChargeHR which I want to connect to MFP. Do I need to disconnect Runkeeper--will exercise be counted twice if it stays connected to MFP.

Replies

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love Nike + for my runs. It doesn't sync to MFP though. I like that it has a leaderboard of all of my friends who use it also. I enjoy trying to beat them for miles ran each week :-)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper but I don't have it connected due to my Fitbit. All it will do is override what Fitbit says you burned during the time you're recording.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I like to use Endomondo. I find it's the most versatile and most accurate GPS tracking app.

It also syncs with MFP.
  • apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper! I've also used strava in the past and really liked it, but I get the "elite" features of Runkeeper because I have a Samsung phone. Who knew? If only my pace was "elite" as well...lol.
  • JonathanP1962
    JonathanP1962 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper and it is synced to MFP and my jawbone UP. There are a lot of good background features on runkeeper like the blogs and training plans. I am currently 10 days away from finishing "couch to 5K" training plan. I have friends who use endomondo and swear by it so I guess its what you are used to and using the app to its full potential
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be Endomondo. The premium account has dynamic training plans that I find pretty useful, having used them for 10K completion, 10K performance improvement, HM completion and HM performance improvement. I was using the marathon plan but caught a chest infection and had to re-prioritise my objectives.

After that, Strava, then Runkeeper.

Personally I wouldn't recommend either Runtastic or MapMyFitness, but others like them.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like Runkeeper, it's free and accurate and I used it for years. I actually pay for 'elite' to have dynamic running plans. I first did 0-5k and now training for a 10k under 60 minutes. It's a nice plan because it's very diverse and I'm now at a point where every run is different which is nice!

I run 3 times a week for 6 months, and I only had once or twice that the first interval was off (saying I ran 0,5 km in 20 seconds). So only happened twice and at the beginning of a workout so not a big deal. It does estimate calories too high (usually +100 off compared to my HRM). But maps are accurate, syncs to MFP, has a nifty feature of playing Spotify playlists through the app etc.

Does anyone have compared the apps and knows pros/cons of each? Would like to know if any of them is more accurate in mapping the route, estimating calories etc.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Personally I've used all five of the ones I mentioned, although it's worth noting that any comparison is only as good as the version tested against and they all update reasonably regularly.

GPS tracking is as much a function of the mobile phone that one is using, as the app, so there's not much in that. In fact the point you mention about tracking is probably a function of not having a solid lock on position.

I'd note that I use a Garmin, and then feed the trace including HR data to Runkeeper, Endomondo and Strava. They'll all give me very different numbers, and I wouldn't make any judgement about which is more accurate than the others. Runkeeper and Endomondo are always higher than Strava and Garmin, which are broadly similar to MFP.

The reason I wouldn't recommend MapMyFitness is that I lost a great many sessions when uploading afterwards. The app would crash, and lose the saved data. That was on iPhone but I had similar with Android.

Runtastic was a battery hog, and would kill my phone in about 90 minutes, whereas Runkeeper and Strava were good for up to three hours.
  • brandnew222
    brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am trying both since I started walking (not running) the other day. The calories burned are totally different:
    for a 5 km walk, 9:08 min/km Runtastic says 209 kcal, Runkeeper 322 kcal.
    for a 3.1 km walk, 9:34 min/km Runtastic says 135 kcal, Runkeeper 196 kcal.
    :|
    Which one is the most accurate?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Just pick one and stick with it, the potential error is well within any margin given the low calorie expenditures involved in walking short distances.

As long as you're using one method consistently you can test and adjust how much of your expenditure that you eat back, according to your results.

• malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    apennock wrote: »
    Runkeeper! I've also used strava in the past and really liked it, but I get the "elite" features of Runkeeper because I have a Samsung phone. Who knew? If only my pace was "elite" as well...lol.

Nice apple sign on the back of your samsung phone hehe
    I use runkeeper too