Deadlift help needed! (for those that can DL 180kg+)

Options
krhn
krhn Posts: 781 Member
I'll get straight to the issue;

I think i am at a sticking point at conventional DL on 180kg (with straps+belt) - at this weight, basically my form starts deteriorating so hard and adding say 2kg would probably make me totally lose my form.

For those of you out there who lift more than this, any tips for me other than the foundational ones e.g. push off floor with the feet etc.

p.s. I feel like my abdominals are too underdeveloped which is why i cannot maintain my form at that weight range for many reps

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i don't think a specific weight # lifted is an indication of skill level. you will probably find a lot of good deadlifters that lift less than 180kg that could offer good advice. I only DL about 135kg right now.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Can you post a video? Preferably from the side, maybe one from the front? Much easier to see what's happening and offer tips versus just talking about it.

What is your height/weight and number of years you've been training? And what are you doing for a training program (specific around the deadlift portion at least)? Are you in a deficit, maintenance or surplus?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    +1 on the video. Front, back and side.

If you’re using straps and belt, so it shouldn’t be grip or core. If I were to guess, your issue is either mobility, foot placement, and/or shoulder engagement.

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's nothing more complicated than you're not strong enough to lift more than 180kg at this point in time. You may have just reached your current max and it's time to back up and run at it again; start a new cycle. Form typically breaks down under max loads.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's nothing more complicated than you're not strong enough to lift more than 180kg at this point in time. You may have just reached your current max and it's time to back up and run at it again; start a new cycle. Form typically breaks down under max loads.

Was going to be my suggestion... you are probably just near your 1RM and form breakdown is practically inevitable. That said, back off and do some more work at a lower percentage like 70% - 85%.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's nothing more complicated than you're not strong enough to lift more than 180kg at this point in time.

yup , simple but true.

As above video needed to see where/if form breaks down.

TBH I find as long as my squat is going up my deadlift goes up without following any specific deadlift program.

What are your squat numbers like op?
  • krhn
    Options
    Cheers for the advice guys;

Yeah a lot of people on YouTube say film yourself; never done this personally myself.

My stats - 6'0, 181lb - aiming at calorie deficit still but currently probably eating at maintenance (law exams etc).. I've been training probably about 2-3 years in all reality, but properly sticking to a schedule has been the last year and a bit.

My numbers for squat is 1rm @ 145kg with wrist wraps - with belt I've done 150. And with regards to the programme, I make it suit my lifestyle so I got 4-5 tines per week and stick to a bodybuilding routine as a main goal, with strength being incorporated during this (power building I'm guessing) - deadlifts on back days, probably near the middle to end of workout.
  • krhn
    Options

If you’re using straps and belt, so it shouldn’t be grip or core. If I were to guess, your issue is either mobility, foot placement, and/or shoulder engagement.

For mobility, I reckon mine is fairly decent as I can get into the bottom position with strict form - foot placement- I think this might be having a role as I never feel like I'm in my strongest position anywhere, shoulder/narrow/wider than shoulder width. And in what sense for shoulder engagement?
  • portugaline
    portugaline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    propper form is very important for deadlift if you want to keep adding more weight to the bar.

look for mike o'hearn videos about deadlift, he deadlifts really well, great form..
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    krhn wrote: »

For mobility, I reckon mine is fairly decent as I can get into the bottom position with strict form - foot placement- I think this might be having a role as I never feel like I'm in my strongest position anywhere, shoulder/narrow/wider than shoulder width. And in what sense for shoulder engagement?

Shoulder engagement ensures you’re pulling in a vertical path (shortest distance between A and B ) and that you’re not jerking at the beginning of the lift. It also helps keep a neutral spine from core to head.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. Also, engage your lats. Really try to feel like you're wrapping the bar around your body as you pull (not yank) it off the ground.
  • krhn
    Options
    What everyone else said. Also, engage your lats. Really try to feel like you're wrapping the bar around your body as you pull (not yank) it off the ground.
    That's an interesting thought - i'll give it ago for my next sesh!
  • krhn
    Options
    propper form is very important for deadlift if you want to keep adding more weight to the bar.

look for mike o'hearn videos about deadlift, he deadlifts really well, great form..
    lol - he doesn't just deadlift very well... physique of gods and lifts in perfection for every exercise - not to mention the strength of him! #mirin
  • portugaline
    portugaline Posts: 95 Member
    Options

lol - he doesn't just deadlift very well... physique of gods and lifts in perfection for every exercise - not to mention the strength of him! #mirin

if you think that, see the videos he have on youtube about nutrition and training, you will thank him for sure.
  • krhn
    Options

if you think that, see the videos he have on youtube about nutrition and training, you will thank him for sure.
    will do mate cheers!