From 263 Pounds to 128 Pounds (Lots of Pictures)

Options
kamakazeekim
kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
86n1pb7tu7w7.jpg
n25twkl1pz3h.jpg
xel6r5i1ftvy.jpg

I thought I would share my success story up to this point. While I was young I was very athletic and had a muscular build. I always felt much bigger than other people. I started gaining weight like crazy when I was about 19 years old. At 20 years old I got married and become pregnant with our daughter. I was on bed rest for most of the pregnancy and my weight continued to balloon. After she was born I was working out 6 days a week and literally living on steamed broccoli...I continued to gain more and more weight.

In 2011, we got pregnant again with our son. This too was a really hard pregnancy and I spend most of it confined to my bed. After he was born I wanted to get serious about my health. I was running 5 Ks, weightlifting, eating about 900 calories a day but my weight continued to rise until I hit 263 pounds. I had a hard time nursing because I was scared of suffocating the baby! I went to doctor after doctor but no one could give me any answers. I saw several dietitians and personal trainers. Nothing helped. I tried all the over counter shakes and weight loss products. I was desperate. My husband is a wrestling coach who is a big advocate of wrestlers losing weight in a healthy way...even he didn't know how to help me.

In 2013 I made the decision to have weight loss surgery. The problem was they wanted me to lose 40 pounds before I could have the surgery. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't do it and I became extremely depressed and anxious. I finally saw an endocrinologist who diagnosed me with PCOS and put me on medication. The weight started flying off! I was warned that after a while the medication would no longer work so I made the decision to go a head with the surgery. In May 2014 I had a gastric sleeve. The surgery initially didn't work and no one knew why. My endocrinologist upped the dose of my medication and that did the trick. I am one year out from my surgery and I now weigh 128 pounds which is the lowest I've weighed since about 7th grade. I exercise 6 to 7 days a week and I eat between 900 and 1200 calories most days. I would like to lose another 10 pounds but I am starting to focus more on weightlifting and building my muscles back.

Replies

• cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing! I started at 277 and am down 26 pounds so far. My goal is to get down to around 125. It helps knowing that others have done it.
  • kamakazeekim
    Options
    Thanks you guys! It's been tough but totally worth it! I was at the point where I had panic attacks when I had to leave the house but now I feel confident and good about myself!
  • jharris1378
    jharris1378 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great job. You look amazing
  • MrsCies6207
    MrsCies6207 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Amazing job! I have been diagnosed with PCOS as well. Would you mind sharing the Ned they put you on that helped? Thanks!
  • kamakazeekim
    Options
    I'm on the max dose of metformin and a birth control pill. The combination of the two has been a miracle!
  • MrsCies6207
    MrsCies6207 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I asked my OB about metformin and she said that unless I'm trying to get pregnant, she feels it isn't necessary I was disappointed! This has inspired me to get a 2nd opinion :)
  • kamakazeekim
    Options
    Metformin is way more than just an aid to getting pregnant! Many women with PCOS struggle with undiagnosed insulin resistance which has a huge impact on weight! It does other stuff too...it does help you ovulate and some other stuff as well.
  • sarahl038
    sarahl038 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing,well done to you.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You look wonderful after your two kids. I have four. You look amazing! Well done!!!
  • natkaye
    natkaye Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How long were you on the metformin before it started to work? and what dosage?. Also I might ask my endocrinologist if its ok to take whilst on a marina, because I was taking the 250mg for about 2 months and it did nothing except make me feel extremely sick every morning, so I stopped it but thinking about starting up again
  • kamakazeekim
    Options
    I had a really hard time with side effects when I first started the metformin so I was on a low dose and it didn't work at all. My endocrinologist told me that most women with PCOS need the max dose for it to be effective. She told me to power through the side effects and that my body would eventually adjust. It finally has and I feel terrific! Once I started the max dose I saw results within 2 months.
  • ZaraxXx88
    ZaraxXx88 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! You've done so well you must be so proud! You truly are an inspiration to the rest of us. So proud of you! xxx
  • TXRedDirt
    TXRedDirt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Congrats and nice work.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Nice job! Sorry that you had to struggle so much with just finding what worked for you. I hope that you find true happiness.
  • kamakazeekim
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Beautiful, awesome job!! :smiley:
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You look so amazing! Congrats, all your hardwork really paid off!!
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Great Great job!
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Wow...you look great! You're a prime example of someone who doesn't make excuses, despite medical conditions that could seriously hinder all your efforts. And you kept on top of everything. I really admire you and your journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!