Protien absorption

Options
Pelamblue
Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
I was just reading up on how much protein our bodys can absorb in one hit. It seems that if you take added enzymes with your whey, then you have a 127% increase in aminos and therefore a far greater uptake of protein. Is there anyone with the knowledge on here to back this up, or is it just more 'bro science'. Here is the article I read.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-whey-too-much

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    I was just reading up on how much protein our bodys can absorb in one hit. It seems that if you take added enzymes with your whey, then you have a 127% increase in aminos and therefore a far greater uptake of protein. Is there anyone with the knowledge on here to back this up, or is it just more 'bro science'. Here is the article I read.

honestly, just get your protein from real food and ditch the shakes. I hardly even drink protein shakes anymore and I get like 150 to 190 grams of protein a day ….
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    This article says that your body can only absorb protein from a meal in a 1.5 hour window. I stopped there. Sounds like pure BS to me.
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    This article says that your body can only absorb protein from a meal in a 1.5 hour window. I stopped there. Sounds like pure BS to me.

It says that it takes 1.5 hours for viscous liquid to pass the area of the body that can adsorb it. If you physically eat something this will slow down, thus increaseing the absorption rate
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would not believe everything that you read on the internet. Any meal with a drink on the side will be a viscous fluid after chewing. The modern diet is skewed toward simple carbs. Eat more fiber and protein, and you will be fine.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

honestly, just get your protein from real food and ditch the shakes. I hardly even drink protein shakes anymore and I get like 150 to 190 grams of protein a day ….

Ain't nobody got time for that... lolz
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Atleast the author is a Nutritionist..
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Plus...expensive! Protein shakes really help me to get my protein without going over my calories.
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Plus...expensive! Protein shakes really help me to get my protein without going over my calories.

@ndj1979 is crazy rich though. I've been to his mansion... his servants have servants!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

@ndj1979 is crazy rich though. I've been to his mansion... his servants have servants!

correct...

you want to be on the payroll @dieselbyte ???

I buy shakeology so I can mix it in my toilet and you know what on it....
  • dieselbyte
    Options

correct...

you want to be on the payroll @dieselbyte ???

I buy shakeology so I can mix it in my toilet and you know what on it....

best.reply.ever
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Your gallbladder and pancreas produce enough enzymes/secretions and your stomach produces enough HCL for digestion. So you really don't need to take additional enzymes to digestive your food. Unless of course you have a condition/allergy and take enzymes or Betaine HCL to help with that. That being said, I know Vince Gironda was a big proponent of digestive enzymes in the 60's. I don't believe there were any enzyme supplements around at that time so he recommended consuming papaya and pineapple regularly as both contain powerful enzymes. Who knows if it worked or not, but looking back at the "Golden Age" of bodybuilding and those guys did look pretty frickin good...

Here's a good video on protein metabolism and absorption from a Layne Norton. He has a PhD in protein metabolism and is a pro natural bodybuilding competitor and coach.
  • simplythebaz
    simplythebaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Can you point me at some decent recipes to maximise my protein intake? I get like cottage cheese omelettes for breakfast, and plenty of chicken/turkey/steak throughout the day, but looking for a bit more variation?

• Pelamblue
    Options
    j75j75 wrote: »
    Your gallbladder and pancreas produce enough enzymes/secretions and your stomach produces enough HCL for digestion. So you really don't need to take additional enzymes to digestive your food. Unless of course you have a condition/allergy and take enzymes or Betaine HCL to help with that. That being said, I know Vince Gironda was a big proponent of digestive enzymes in the 60's. I don't believe there were any enzyme supplements around at that time so he recommended consuming papaya and pineapple regularly as both contain powerful enzymes. Who knows if it worked or not, but looking back at the "Golden Age" of bodybuilding and those guys did look pretty frickin good...

Here's a good video on protein metabolism and absorption from a Layne Norton. He has a PhD in protein metabolism and is a pro natural bodybuilding competitor and coach.
    Brilliant video !! Thanks