What are your thoughts on walking?

Options

Replies

• alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Last summer, all i did was take long walks and, sometimes, would throw in a piyo video. I lost 12 lbs just by tracking my food and doing that. I actually prefer walking to running, but that's just me. If it works for you, then I say keep at it!
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely enough...depending on what your goal is, anyway.

I've lost 20 lbs or so in the past year with mostly watching what I eat & walking.

I try to walk a minimum of 3 miles a day, I tend to average between 3.5 and 3.8 mph. On good days, I get 5 miles in. On REALLY good days, some of that 5 miles is hiking :smiley:
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    otey743 wrote: »
    Walking is great I would throw in some fasting cardio any time you can . Walking on an empty stomach can burn up to 20% more fat . Keep up the hard work .

Thanks. I do try to do a dvd in the morning before I eat anything which is usually some kind of Beachbody dvd i.e. T25, Insanity, 21 DF, 21 DFX. I am a dvd workout kinda girl. lol If I have time I might try to get a mile or 2 in after. Then, I will have my Shakeology after I'm done working out for the morning to recover. If not, then I will go walk on the treadmill at night after dinner when my kids are all winding down watching a movie or something.
  • bcruz313
    Options
    Last summer, all i did was take long walks and, sometimes, would throw in a piyo video. I lost 12 lbs just by tracking my food and doing that. I actually prefer walking to running, but that's just me. If it works for you, then I say keep at it!

That's awesome. I have been walking for a while and throwing in other types or workouts here and there, but just this week I have really gotten serious about my eating and have started logging. Since you do Piyo, you're probably familiar with 21 Day Fix. I use the containers to portion out my food but I've kinda tweaked the amount of containers I do per day for my own body. Autumn wouldn't be happy (lol), but I feel it works better for me. It may be a fluke, but the scale was a couple of pounds lighter this morning since Monday!
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking as well. If I am not walking then I go swimming. Both have been really helpful in getting more active. My goal is to work up to more intense workouts but for now I am happy with just these two!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    As long as you start, it doesn't matter what or where you start. Give yourself a foundation to start from and build on that. My ultimate goal is to be able to jog/run instead of having walk so I can run from the zombies, but that's quite a ways down the road! XD

And I don't care what people say. Parking at the end of the parking lot and taking stairs instead of the elevator helps a LOT. At the very least, it gets you moving a little bit more, and that adds up over the day.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Walking is great I would throw in some fasting cardio any time you can . Walking on an empty stomach can burn up to 20% more fat . Keep up the hard work .

Really? I walk on an empty stomach 99% of the time. Good to know. Does this hold true for all exercise?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday, morning, noon and night. I aim for 20,000+ steps everyday.
    Some people poopoo walking, but I love and enjoy it, plus it burns calories and is free and easy to do.
    I used to go to the gym, and I had to force myself to go each and every time, I hated it!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love walking. Me and my fur baby go for 3-6 mile walks most days.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I hate it...but only cause I don't have a choice. I currently have no car. Lol.

I average 25k-30k steps a day. At least I Don't feel guilty about skipping cardio.
  • bcruz313
    Options
    I used to go to the gym, and I had to force myself to go each and every time, I hated it!

Exactly. That is how I am feeling. I dont want to go to the gym and then burn out or lose momentum the minute life gets in the way. With 3 kids it happens. This is sustainable.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Do you know what I love about walking? You can put on your shoes, open the door, and go. Tonight was a lovely night for a 40 minute walk. Enjoy yours!
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think it's great!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »

Really? I walk on an empty stomach 99% of the time. Good to know. Does this hold true for all exercise?

It's bollocks tbh. Difference between fasted and non fasted CV work is negligible, particularly at low intensities as in walking.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Walking is a big part of my program.

Likewise.

Unfortunately I do have a knee problem thanks to a dog attack in my 20's and find it difficult to run so walking it is for me.
    2-3 mile walk every lunchtime as well as ~8 miles during work I tend to average around the ten miles a day mark.
    It has really helped my fitness level and been a great way to increase my cardio from zero.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I walk loads , makes me feel better in myself as well as helping with physical health too

definitely good for you , but don't be afraid of resistance training. That is very good for you too
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Walking it the main excersise I do, not the only thing, but the main thing. I am walking to work at least 3 times a week which is a 9km roundtrip, plus I walk wherever and whenever I can. Has it helped weightloss? Indirectly. Mainly because it shaved off 6 hours off my time sitting around being bored and that was time that I was busy, but not with food and snacking. The latter saved the calories and resulted in weightloss.

As said I walk to work and everywhere, I totally prefer to be outside when walking. The fresh air and seeing nature change over the season are a source of happiness and inspiration to me. As I have been doing it for a while now there are a number of people that live along my route to work that have become friendly to me, which is so nice. All dogs know me and a number of them come up for a cuddle (I love dogs). In general I'd say it has me made me more aware of where I live, the people that live there and has given me a sense of communitity as well. That in itself has become another inspiration.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Walking will keep you physically active and is a great habit to get into as opposed to sitting on a couch all day long. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends 150 minutes a week of brisk walking to attain a level of physical activity that will help you become healthy.

There are great gains to have from becoming physically active and getting out of a sedentary lifestyle. Don't confuse a habit of walking with being physically fit, however.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if walking does contribute to weight loss. ...
    On my good days I can burn 1000 calories. This takes me all damn day tho. I have to do close to 25,000 steps, which is around 17kms.. 12ish miles
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to walking. I try for 10,000 steps per day. I am 68 and walk almost so fast I want to jog. But can't really do that but just a minute at the time.

I do maybe a spin class a week but mostly just walk. You can do that anywhere and anytime.