Eating Paleo, Dreaming of Grain

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

According to many on this site, all we eat are donuts. Never have they considered looking at any of our diaries and seeing a variety of wholesome foods. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook but ice cream and muffins keep me sane.

Oh, I've done it that way too. And when 'donut hour' finally comes around and you've been thinking about it and watching the clock and digging your fingernails into the sofa all afternoon and finally finally it's time and you've been 'good' so you get your little sugary poison reward and you try to make it last as long as possible but even so it's finished far, far too soon and you lick every crumb and bit of frosting off the wrapper and then you start demonstrating your willpower again, a.k.a. counting down the days until the next one?

No thanks. I'd rather have none.

You've got a problem if that's your attitude towards donuts.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

According to many on this site, all we eat are donuts. Never have they considered looking at any of our diaries and seeing a variety of wholesome foods. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook but ice cream and muffins keep me sane.

Oh, I've done it that way too. And when 'donut hour' finally comes around and you've been thinking about it and watching the clock and digging your fingernails into the sofa all afternoon and finally finally it's time and you've been 'good' so you get your little sugary poison reward and you try to make it last as long as possible but even so it's finished far, far too soon and you lick every crumb and bit of frosting off the wrapper and then you start demonstrating your willpower again, a.k.a. counting down the days until the next one?

Wow. I hope you have a good therapist because that is some hella disordered thinking about food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

You've got a problem if that's your attitude towards donuts.

well at least now we have an in depth understanding as to why that poster, posts what they post...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse thank you for bringing some much needed sense to this thread. It was quite a wild ride until you showed up :smile:

Aw, thanks :). There were several others who were doing a good job of debunking while us NZers slept though. Also, I can call it work, cos archaeology ;) (which I never get sick of talking about). Who should I send the invoice to do you think?

Would you say that for the majority of human history, humans have had an intimate understanding of where our food sources come from?
    A quote from a noted evolutionary diet researcher:
    99.99% of our genes were formed before the development of agriculture. -S. Boyd Eaton, M.D., MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGIST
    Please share your thoughts on this statement.

Um, not seeing the connection between the quote and you question frankly. Srsly sweetie, walk away.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Wow. You are giving WAY too much power to the food you're eating, or not eating as the case may be.

• boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

I just googled it and it seems to be based in a fundamental misunderstanding of what veganism is. This looks like Paleo with less meat and some lentils added in.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I will add this to the list of paelo plans...wow another one.
  • ndj1979
    Options

*sigh*

another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

*sigh*

another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

*sigh*

For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

Considering that no foods arrived on a spaceship after that point, we can trace every single food we eat to the Paleolithic era.
  • ndj1979
    Options

*sigh*

you obviously did not read the posts from the Archeologist in this thread who totally shredded your arguments.

Sorry but that is the most ridiculous definition of Paleo that I have heard in a while. Based on that you can say that EVERYONE does Paleo. I eat bison meat, and you can trace that to the Paleo era, hence I am eating Paleo.

Just stop calling it Paleo, because it has absolutely nothing to do with the Paleolithic era....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It sounds like you have some serious issues around food, and I say that without rancor.

That's... just not how it plays out.

My end of the day ice cream isn't a reward for being "good". That's disordered thinking, and possibly part of your issues.

My ice cream is just one of the many tasty foods I enjoy over the course of my day, nothing more, nothing less.

• boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    lol true so maybe I'll say I borrow some of the paleo tips
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Considering that no foods arrived on a spaceship after that point, we can trace every single food we eat to the Paleolithic era.

nt1rvanh6p80.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

*sigh*

I can trace wheat back to 12000 bc does that mean you can eat bread now?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Really wish you'd quit projecting your own insecurities on the rest of the MFP population.

The Cubs will win the World Series before that happens.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse thank you for bringing some much needed sense to this thread. It was quite a wild ride until you showed up :smile:

Aw, thanks :). There were several others who were doing a good job of debunking while us NZers slept though. Also, I can call it work, cos archaeology ;) (which I never get sick of talking about). Who should I send the invoice to do you think?

Would you say that for the majority of human history, humans have had an intimate understanding of where our food sources come from?
    A quote from a noted evolutionary diet researcher:
    99.99% of our genes were formed before the development of agriculture. -S. Boyd Eaton, M.D., MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGIST
    Please share your thoughts on this statement.

Your quote basically says... man predated agriculture. Yeah so?

Your question... intimate understanding of food sources what?

What does one have to do with the other? Why are you yelling about the guy being a medical anthropologist?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

*sigh*

BRB drawing a timeline every time I want to eat something.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Is there 80/20 veganism too? Eating only plant based unless I really want a steak?
This discussion has been closed.