I think I have plateued.

Options
2»

Replies

• pdelozier76
    pdelozier76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Started loosing again. Now I'm at 241.6.

Thank you for all your replies.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I bounce around all the time over the course of any given week. :) Look for a general downward trend over time and welcome back!
  • suzcarlon85
    suzcarlon85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear the scales are telling you what you want to hear :) well done on the weight loss, that's fantastic. I sat at 180 for three weeks before finally dropping my first 3lbs. The water weight comes off because when you drink enough your body doesn't need to hold onto a reserve as such. If you do hit a plateau try cardio aswell as your work lifestyle although don't be discouraged if you don't drop as much due to muscle gain.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the impatience. Unfortunately, I've been a yo-yo dieter for many years, and have gained and lost 40 or so pounds (again and again). It's getting harder and harder each time I "decide" to lose it, and now, in my mid-40's I'm trying to put an end to the cycle. So, when I first get back to tracking or dieting or working out, and see a nice drop every day, I get spoiled by that, and then when it goes up .5 lb or stays flat for more than a few days, I get frustrated and call it a plateau, even if it has been a few days.

I agree with the other poster who mentioned taking measurements. If you're noticing that you're visibly getting thinner and that your clothes are fitting you better, that's progress, too! On a day that I went up .5 lb, I took measurements and was encouraged by 1.5 in. off my waist! However, numbers don't tell the whole story... how do you FEEL??

Anyway - congrats on your progress so far, and keep up the great work - don't give that scale the power to diminish your hard work & progress!
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Started loosing again. Now I'm at 241.6.

Thank you for all your replies.

Yay! Way to stick with it through the frustration! I totally slipped over last weekend and my body hasn't fully recovered :( Getting back into the routine now though!
  • pdelozier76
    Options
    What I'm getting now is that this isn't dieting. It has to be a lifestyle to stay healthy.

Just have to make better choices so that I can stay around longer for my family.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This is a breakthrough, a hurdle has been placed on your journey and you have cleared it. Congrats!!
  • pdelozier76
    Options
    Down to 235.2. Still going strong. MFP community is my saving grace.
  • pdelozier76
    Options
    229.6 still going strong. MFP and its community is the best.
  • pdelozier76
    Options
    Here we go again. 18 days and have stayed around 230.

Can someone have a look at my diary? Perhaps I'm not eating right.

Thanks.
  • DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Assuming your calorie logging is bang-on, perhaps your deficit is a little small for the "noticeable" scale results you're looking for. Lots of assumptions here but...

1,950 BMR - 1,687 Calorie / day average over the past 2 weeks = a daily deficit of 263 calories
    3500 (calories/pound) / 263 daily deficit = 13.3 days to lose 1 pound

100 less calories per day, or geesh man, maybe just a wee bit of exercise might get the scale moving again. Unless you're 8' tall, 230 lbs. is enough that you shouldn't have to wait that long for results.

Some (well, probably many on MFP) will argue that 0.5 lbs / week is just dandy but, I'm a similar size and that just wouldn't cut it for me. Maybe when I drop to 220ish I'll re-evaluate my goals. Just my opinion.
  • pdelozier76
    Options
    Assuming your calorie logging is bang-on, perhaps your deficit is a little small for the "noticeable" scale results you're looking for. Lots of assumptions here but...

1,950 BMR - 1,687 Calorie / day average over the past 2 weeks = a daily deficit of 263 calories
    3500 (calories/pound) / 263 daily deficit = 13.3 days to lose 1 pound

100 less calories per day, or geesh man, maybe just a wee bit of exercise might get the scale moving again. Unless you're 8' tall, 230 lbs. is enough that you shouldn't have to wait that long for results.

Some (well, probably many on MFP) will argue that 0.5 lbs / week is just dandy but, I'm a similar size and that just wouldn't cut it for me. Maybe when I drop to 220ish I'll re-evaluate my goals. Just my opinion.

Good info here thanks for the help.
  • TwigQueen
    TwigQueen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just glancing at your diary, make sure you're paying attention to sodium intake as well. Excess sodium (salt) can make you retain water, which can make you bloated and heavier. Lower soduim and up (or keep your current) water intake and you'll probably see a good loss.

And try taking measurements. Sometimes those are more accurate then the scale. You're doing a great job though, don't get discouraged!
  • pdelozier76
    edited May 2015
    Options
    TwigQueen wrote: »
    Just glancing at your diary, make sure you're paying attention to sodium intake as well. Excess sodium (salt) can make you retain water, which can make you bloated and heavier. Lower soduim and up (or keep your current) water intake and you'll probably see a good loss.

And try taking measurements. Sometimes those are more accurate then the scale. You're doing a great job though, don't get discouraged!

You think my sodium intake is high?

I drink lots of water. I never log it though.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your portions? It doesn't look like you are using a food scale. I would suggest investing in one and using it to weigh all of your solid foods.

You also have a lot of generic food entries. It would be best if you didn't use those. Also if those entries labeled "homemade" are not ones that you put into the recipe builder yourself, don't use them. You have no idea what all went into those recipes so the calories could be off by a little or a lot.

Now that you have had an awesome loss and you are closer to goal the margin for error gets smaller. Inaccurate logging may be wiping out your deficit.

This link has a lot of great information on how to find the right entries in the database and how to accurately log:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your weight loss so far! I’ll share a few thoughts if you don’t mind.

I would agree with the above regarding weighing stuff and making sure you’re using the right entries. Especially shredded cheese, dips, sauces, sour cream - these things are pretty calorie dense and eating more than you think can really added up over a week.

I don’t know if I’d worry about sodium intake. I for one eat lots of salt, on purpose, and I’m not bloated in general; I do notice it on the scale after I’ve had stuff like Chinese takeout though. Maybe look at your weight loss movements after days that are more sodium-heavy than others, to see if there’s a change? I weigh daily, not sure if you do.

Finally, I know you don’t work out, but I would recommend considering eating more protein (you’re around 80-90 grams most days) and doing some resistance training, in order to hold on to your muscle mass. I follow Starting Strength for lifting, and it doesn’t take much gym time: 45-60 minutes 3 days a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think you're eating more than you think.

I see generic entries that are doubtful (like 1.5 cup of chili for only 190 calories), all your chicken thighs/legs from Popeyes seem too low (a chicken drumstick without skin will be around 100 calories, a thigh around 150), lunch meat or cheese that appear to be estimated etc etc.

Tighten up your logging. Weigh your food. Make your own entries. Guaranteed you're eating way more than you think.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your losses! We're roughly the same weight so will be interesting to see your diary. Do I need to add you to see each others? What's your height/target weight?