Worked out I should be eating 2130 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just use MFP correctly. Put in your stats and weight loss goals, and it will give you how many calories you should eat a day without the exercise. Track everything you eat precisely here. Wear a heart rate monitor when you exercise to see how many calories you burn, then add that amount to your exercise log. MFP will automatically re-calculate your daily calorie allowance to reflect your exercise calories. Most people only add half of their exercise calories though, to be safe (since even heart rate monitors aren't perfect, and might be over-estimating burn). So divide what you burned by two, add that number instead, and then eat your goal for the day.

Example: MFP tells you to eat 1400 calories a day.
    You do a hard workout and burn 800 calories, according to your heart rate monitor.
    You only add 400 calories to your custom exercise log.
    Now you are supposed to eat 1800 calories for the day.
    Log your food, stop eating when you get to 1800 ;-)
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Much easier to use a TDEE calculator. Their all over the Internet, but after doing some research, I settled on this one >>>

freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

There is also quite a bit of useful information to help understand TDEE, eating at a defecit, etc.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How long were you eating at 1400, what results were you seeing in weight loss? If dizzy & light headedness were happening then its clear something needs to change. Try adding an additional 200-400/day, monitor your results.

As to 'low carb' what does that mean to you, and is there a medical reason for it? You may need to incorporate more carbs as they're intended for energy use.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    How does your (so-called) "trainer" know it's not low blood pressure. Or a blocked artery. Or Orthostatic Hypotension. Or a brain tumor. Or <whatever> causing your dizziness?

HINT: You should probably fire this individual for not recommending medical opinion from a ... what do we call them? Oh yeah "a Doctor", right?

And go see your Doc, mmm-kay?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Perhaps Im not eating enough of the right foods then. I do tend to eat low carb.

No. Your body needs fuel to operate. You need to eat more calories if you are burning a bunch. If you are truly burning 800 calories, which might be a bit high for your height and weight in a general hour boot camp style class. I get about 600 at 5'8 and 187 going hard. But you could be getting more....then you really need to eat some of those calories back. Or you will see side effects like dizzy and lightheaded.

If you are set up on MFP correctly and it is telling you to eat 1400 calories, then you should try to accurately figure out what you are burning and eat the majority of that back. The harder and more often you exercise the more important it is that you eat back these calories. Under fueling workouts can lead to headaches, tired, hungry, lightheaded/dizzy, etc. Long term under fueling can lead to more serious things.

Your body needs fuel. Eat food. Just be in a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm unclear on whether you're trying to maintain or lose weight.

If you're trying to maintain, eat your 2075 calories each day.
    If you're trying to lose, subtract 15-20% from that number and eat that much.

From your height and weight, it sounds like you don't need to lose weight so you should probably be eating at maintenance.

Remember that the formula is just an estimate; you may need to experiment a little to find your actual maintenance level.
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do weights at the gym 3 days a week at 8am then bootcamp straight after at 9.30am so burning over 800+ cals on my HRM. I took simple carbs out of my diet as they bloat me and make me feel sluggish. Ive not eaten pasta, potatoes or bread for years. After using the links on this thread, my TDEE is around 2100, so perhaps Ill just up my calories to 1800 for a few weeks and see how it goes. I used to have an eating disorder, and am finding tracking my calories daily, measuring calories burned, weighing food, is controling me so much.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP, put your psersonal stats in the calculator.. It will give you your Basal Metabolic Rate, TDEE (based on what you stated is your activitiy level) and also what to eat every day to lose the number or percentage you choose in the questionaire.

It is really simple and straight forward. On this calculator you can ignore the meal examples, etc.. Just get your number and setup MFP for custom and use the TDEE number from the calculator.

read the stickies in MFP.. Also this link and many other links to very helpful info to get you more aware of MFP and how this works..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I do weights at the gym 3 days a week at 8am then bootcamp straight after at 9.30am so burning over 800+ cals on my HRM. I took simple carbs out of my diet as they bloat me and make me feel sluggish. Ive not eaten pasta, potatoes or bread for years. After using the links on this thread, my TDEE is around 2100, so perhaps Ill just up my calories to 1800 for a few weeks and see how it goes. I used to have an eating disorder, and am finding tracking my calories daily, measuring calories burned, weighing food, is controling me so much.

Hmmm, I wonder if working with a therapist during this process would be helpful to you. For one thing, it would be helpful to progressively challenge the rules that you have created for yourself (for example, that you need to cut out certain food groups), and to work though the thinking and anxiety that comes up with calorie counting.

Get a doctor check-up since dizziness is worrisome and especially with a history of eating problems you want to make sure all your labs, etc. are good. I think increasing to 1800 is a great idea.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I wonder if working with a therapist during this process would be helpful to you. For one thing, it would be helpful to progressively challenge the rules that you have created for yourself (for example, that you need to cut out certain food groups), and to work though the thinking and anxiety that comes up with calorie counting.

Get a doctor check-up since dizziness is worrisome and especially with a history of eating problems you want to make sure all your labs, etc. are good. I think increasing to 1800 is a great idea.

Excellent advice.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    How does your (so-called) "trainer" know it's not low blood pressure. Or a blocked artery. Or Orthostatic Hypotension. Or a brain tumor. Or <whatever> causing your dizziness?

HINT: You should probably fire this individual for not recommending medical opinion from a ... what do we call them? Oh yeah "a Doctor", right?

Agree with this. ^ There are all kinds of reasons for dizziness that could be totally unrelated to your diet. If it only happens when you are laying down it might very well be an ear infection. Go to the doctor.
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help and advice. I think I might stop tracking for a month, stop weighing food (as I have a general idea of the size of portions I should eat) and just relax with food. Introduce some carbs on workout days, have a cheat meal once a week and a small treat once a day. Perhaps this will knock the bingeing on the head once and for all, as will be feeling fuller and more happy. I have an appointment at the doctors next week for bloods and to check blood pressure. Generally Im a healthy person, who suffers from headaches every now and then (probably lack of calories haha)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

After the first few weeks on MFP I lost the majority of my weight eating around 1800 calories

This seems like a sensible approach

Be prepared for an upswing in water weight when your calories increase...give it 6-8 weeks and look at your average loss

Good luck

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sorry ...I also get occasional positional dizziness, when I started I caught an inner ear infection which gave me issues but I took it easy ...it mainly went but I can still occasionally feel light headed when getting up if I do it too quickly.

You must rule out any other causes with a doctor
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    Much easier to use a TDEE calculator. Their all over the Internet, but after doing some research, I settled on this one >>>

freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

There is also quite a bit of useful information to help understand TDEE, eating at a defecit, etc.

this closely matches my fitbit data depending on how much exercise i do! i like this calculator
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You will likely have tremendous workouts if you aren't lightheaded. Maybe bumping it up by adding a 200 calorie snack to start with. Then increase from there. Don't get frustrated if an increase causes you to store some glycogen and your weight loss stalls for 2 or 3 weeks.

Eating to fuel your workouts may help with the binging.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy too...but it's my low blood pressure and not drinking enough water...I fix it by drinking enough water..

Now as for the calculation

I did it for myself just to check as I have 2 years worth of data that I use to calculate my own TDEE which has worked out very well for me.

Winter my TDEE=2000 this formula gives me 2189...
    Summer my TDEE=2300-2400 this formula gives me 2500...

so pretty close but still a bit high...I would slowly gain using this...but that can be countered by watching and adjusting as necessary.