The great pop debate

Options
2»

Replies

• winram11
    winram11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to think that soda was evil. In short, I don't now.

I mean, it is bad for you if you have the normal, non-diet versions, because the sugars are ridiculous. However, I've got a diet dr pepper problem. I cut it out entirely when I started my "new me" a year or so ago, and lost a lot of weight, and considered that the soda was a part of it.

However jumping to present, I'm drinking diet soda again and I'm still losing weight so there's no real correlation that I can scientifically say, for me.

However, if you're a diabetic, all bets are off, diet soda or regular. Your body's ability to determine whether something is sugar or sugar-free may have an effect on things, so I always say that when people ask.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    winram11 wrote: »
    I used to think that soda was evil. In short, I don't now.

I mean, it is bad for you if you have the normal, non-diet versions, because the sugars are ridiculous. However, I've got a diet dr pepper problem. I cut it out entirely when I started my "new me" a year or so ago, and lost a lot of weight, and considered that the soda was a part of it.

However jumping to present, I'm drinking diet soda again and I'm still losing weight so there's no real correlation that I can scientifically say, for me.

However, if you're a diabetic, all bets are off, diet soda or regular. Your body's ability to determine whether something is sugar or sugar-free may have an effect on things, so I always say that when people ask.

Why does the ADA recommend Diet Soda's as a drink that diabetics can have then?

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    There is a theory that diet soda tricks you into thinking you're having real sugar, but then your body is dissapointed and ends up craving more sweets. So if you aren't meticulously tracking calories, you could end up overeating because of the strong desire for more sweets. Maybe...the jury is still out.

Some people do well with soda (diet or not), others don't. Hey, if kicking soda works, then go with it! (I'm sorry but it's soda. Pop is someone's dad).

I've never been that interested in soda. Never had it more than once a day, usually not even once a week (or month). But it's great when I just want to taste SOMETHING but am not actually hungry. It's also great as an alternative to alcohol at a social event when I know I'll be driving.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i call everything coke, but I"m from north carolina so..... LOL

i used to have a bad dr pepper addiction. quit that last year (no weight difference at least not noticeable). i now have diet sodas a few times a week, but drink primarily ice water.
  • Gena_Beana
    Gena_Beana Posts: 66 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    There is a theory that diet soda tricks you into thinking you're having real sugar, but then your body is dissapointed and ends up craving more sweets. So if you aren't meticulously tracking calories, you could end up overeating because of the strong desire for more sweets. Maybe...the jury is still out.

Some people do well with soda (diet or not), others don't. Hey, if kicking soda works, then go with it! (I'm sorry but it's soda. Pop is someone's dad).

I've never been that interested in soda. Never had it more than once a day, usually not even once a week (or month). But it's great when I just want to taste SOMETHING but am not actually hungry. It's also great as an alternative to alcohol at a social event when I know I'll be driving.

Seems, for me, there's something to that theory, because I swear I would eat a bag of lifesavers in a sitting. Terrible terrible eating habits, and all with coke zero. I also was one of those people folks make fun of ordering a Big Mac, Large Fry and.......Coke Zero.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Gena_Beana wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »

Seems, for me, there's something to that theory, because I swear I would eat a bag of lifesavers in a sitting. Terrible terrible eating habits, and all with coke zero. I also was one of those people folks make fun of ordering a Big Mac, Large Fry and.......Coke Zero.

I do that all the time...I dare someone to make fun of me :rage:
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm from Michigan originally, so I call it pop. Some call it soda, some say soda-pop, some even call all of it "coke" even if it's mountain dew.

Anyway, a short time ago (about 5 months ago) I was strongly considering weight loss surgery, and during that process I had to quit drinking pop. It was very hard, I was addicted to coke zero. In fact, I rarely drank anything else (including water), yikes! Suffice it to say, I quit the pop 100%, and then I quit all caffeine (tea & coffee), and then I said to hell with all of it and now I exclusively drink water. Only water, no juices, no diet this or that, no coffee, no tea, no nothing but water. And flavor drops of course.

So, I was telling my Mother that I think quitting pop has had the best effect on my weight loss and recovery after workouts. When I was going to get the surgery (I'm not getting it now, since I dropped below the minimum bmi requirements to get it & now I don't want it anyway), I was told that pop 'expands' your stomach and that is why you had to quit drinking it. I don't have any scientific statistics for ya'll or anything, but I really have seen a major difference in the way my body feels, the way my body looks, and how much more I seem to be able to accomplish in the gym since quitting pop. Could be because I also eat healthier, and say no to the excess sugar, but I am stuck on my idea that pop was the most detrimental thing I was doing to my body.

What are your thoughts?

My profile picture was taken a few weeks ago, a few minutes after I had my morning can of coke zero. I lost almost 60lbs while drinking several cans of diet coke every day and I now successfully maintain that loss while continuing to drink diet coke every day (2-4 cans a day usually).

I have a bmi of 19.4, a bf% at around 22%, my blood panels are perfect, including no longer being a pre-diabetic, my blood pressure is great, I can do a 100 regular pushups, can walk 2 miles without getting winded and I look pretty great in a two piece swim suit, for being a 36 yr old mom of three kids. I am healthy and happy, and I drink pop all the time :)

You do look great, I used to drink like.....8-10 or more coke zero's a day.

Yeah, 10 a day may be a wee bit excessive :) If you enjoy drinking coke zero though, there's no reason to totally cut it out-you could still drink it, but in moderation. As for weight loss-diet soda has zero calories, and weight loss comes down to calories :)
  • Gena_Beana
    Options
    I'm from Michigan originally, so I call it pop. Some call it soda, some say soda-pop, some even call all of it "coke" even if it's mountain dew.

Anyway, a short time ago (about 5 months ago) I was strongly considering weight loss surgery, and during that process I had to quit drinking pop. It was very hard, I was addicted to coke zero. In fact, I rarely drank anything else (including water), yikes! Suffice it to say, I quit the pop 100%, and then I quit all caffeine (tea & coffee), and then I said to hell with all of it and now I exclusively drink water. Only water, no juices, no diet this or that, no coffee, no tea, no nothing but water. And flavor drops of course.

So, I was telling my Mother that I think quitting pop has had the best effect on my weight loss and recovery after workouts. When I was going to get the surgery (I'm not getting it now, since I dropped below the minimum bmi requirements to get it & now I don't want it anyway), I was told that pop 'expands' your stomach and that is why you had to quit drinking it. I don't have any scientific statistics for ya'll or anything, but I really have seen a major difference in the way my body feels, the way my body looks, and how much more I seem to be able to accomplish in the gym since quitting pop. Could be because I also eat healthier, and say no to the excess sugar, but I am stuck on my idea that pop was the most detrimental thing I was doing to my body.

What are your thoughts?

My profile picture was taken a few weeks ago, a few minutes after I had my morning can of coke zero. I lost almost 60lbs while drinking several cans of diet coke every day and I now successfully maintain that loss while continuing to drink diet coke every day (2-4 cans a day usually).

I have a bmi of 19.4, a bf% at around 22%, my blood panels are perfect, including no longer being a pre-diabetic, my blood pressure is great, I can do a 100 regular pushups, can walk 2 miles without getting winded and I look pretty great in a two piece swim suit, for being a 36 yr old mom of three kids. I am healthy and happy, and I drink pop all the time :)

Yeah, 10 a day may be a wee bit excessive :) If you enjoy drinking coke zero though, there's no reason to totally cut it out-you could still drink it, but in moderation. As for weight loss-diet soda has zero calories, and weight loss comes down to calories :)

I think for my benefit, I'll just stay away from it. "My name is Gena, and it's been 126 days since my last Coke Zero"

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

What are your thoughts?

I think for my benefit, I'll just stay away from it. "My name is Gena, and it's been 126 days since my last Coke Zero"

Ha-that's like me and honey mustard pretzels-when I see them it's like my brain shuts off and I have no memory of eating the entire bag, which unfortunately are not calorie free sigh.... for me it's the only thing I've had to pretty much cut out-I swear that honey mustard coating is some sort of drug lol.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For me it's like liquid candy basically, and I treat it the same way: Not forbidden, but not part of my daily way of eating.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I cannot tell you how much I love classic Coke. I'm like Mark Twain who said it was easy to quit smoking- he'd done it 100 times. When I was younger I lost 40 pounds in one year just by quitting. Now I drink it maybe twice a week. Everybody is different. You need to figure out what works for you.
  • Gena_Beana
    Options
    You mention pretzels, OMG snyder's hot buffalo wing pretzels! I wouldn't count them out, but I haven't had any in a very very long time. They are sooooo good. Same thing though, I will inhale the bag. Better buy those little individual packets instead. 1 at a time.
  • Gena_Beana
    edited May 2015
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    I cannot tell you how much I love classic Coke. I'm like Mark Twain who said it was easy to quit smoking- he'd done it 100 times. When I was younger I lost 40 pounds in one year just by quitting. Now I drink it maybe twice a week. Everybody is different. You need to figure out what works for you.

Yeah I used to drink all fully leaded pop (mountain dew, coke, pepsi, dr.pepper), then when I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes and switched to solely coke zero, which is not the best either with the caffeine. After I had the baby I continued and developed like a full fledged addiction to the stuff. Seriously, one would be by my bed at night.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    At first I thought the title of this thread was the great "poop" debate. Apparently I need more caffeine. Carry on.

HAHAHHAHAHA

Good to know it’s not just me. I thought the exact same thing and was very much intrigued.

As for pop, I have nothing against it. However, I don’t like sweet beverages in general (personal preference). I do like the fizz, so I drink lots of carbonated mineral water. Don’t think there’s anything wrong with carbonation. *shrug*
  • RASCHOON
    RASCHOON Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am completely addicted to Coke Zero as well...I don't drink coffee, so as soon as I get into work, I get a 32oz Coke Zero. Then I have another at lunch. Then I will probably have 2 cans at night after work. I don't like drinking much else really.

As for hunger...soda usually makes me feel very full and I don't feel like eating. I assume that it's the amount and the carbonation in my stomach that leaves very little room in there for anything else.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I drink pop two or three times a year. Ginger Ale. Maybe an A+W Root Beer, from an A+W, on a very hot day after a long day of driving. I don't worry about the calories of course.

My concern over artificially sweetened foodstuffs consumed on a regular / habitual / addictive basis is that they may create or perpetuate a love of sweet things. I'd rather not travel down that path.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »

I agree. I thought I had a kidney infection sometime late last year and quit drinking carbonated drinks period for at least 4 months. Now I have a soda occasionally. If we're out to eat or maybe out running errands. I dont have artificial sweeteners so I don't do diet or zero. I iust try to manage it so I can enjoy one now and then.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Pop is a sound and a kind of music. Around here it's Coke. Soda if you must.

I used to be addicted to Diet Coke. I probably drank 4-6 cans a day. My doctor was constantly harping on me to quit, but said tea was fine - go figure that one.

Anyway back in February I started phentermine/topiramate, which totally alters the taste of diet coke, making it taste horribly metallic. I cannot drink it anymore and have not had any since February 18th.

I don't think it has had any effect on weight loss though. Eating less does that.