Abdominal massages for constipation?

Options
I have a history of laxative abuse, and very often have problems just...getting things moving. I sometimes can be blocked up for a week at a time. It makes me very uncomfortable, and bloated also.

I heard a story recently of a girl who got an abdominal massage to relieve her constipation, and help out with her period. She claims she hasn't had issues much since, as the pressure from the massage (And learning some of the tricks) has helped ease things a long.

Has anyone else gotten an abdominal massage and found it has worked? I really cannot afford to fall back into old habits...

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No.

Exercise or being quite active (especially if you truly sedentary) helped me with PMS, constipation, back pain, menopause and more. Get the body moving will help move things along.. And I drink a good amount of water to keep my plumbing lubricated.. I also eat enough fat..

This is going to sound weird but when I went caffeine free I got stopped up.. I now have some every morning not just as a morning wake up in my coffee but it helps me go when I need to..

• cassandralepandaa
    cassandralepandaa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm far from sedentary, and drink plenty of water. I also love fat. :3 My problem with my bowels is due to the abuse of laxatives in the past.

I've never liked coffee. :L I'm scared of becoming addicted to caffeine, aha. Although I drink a lot of green tea, which I've heard is stimulant? Do you know of any other caffeine's that may help?
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water, that's the answer. That and coffee, ginger tea, peppermint tea, more dietary fibre and that should have you pooping normal again. Water and dietary fibre are the best!!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm far from sedentary, and drink plenty of water. I also love fat. :3 My problem with my bowels is due to the abuse of laxatives in the past.

I've never liked coffee. :L I'm scared of becoming addicted to caffeine, aha. Although I drink a lot of green tea, which I've heard is stimulant? Do you know of any other caffeine's that may help?

Did not mean to offend any one by saying anyone was sendentary, not drinking plenty of water or not consuming enough fat.. these were just things that work for me.. just thoughts and suggestions..

I think you should see a doctor.

• KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What's your fibre intake look like?
  • jorinya
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I think you should see a doctor.

I second this! Which is strange cos I haven't seconded your opinion before. Guess I understand you more now.
    :*
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have to do a mixture of.... Well all the above I guess lol. I have ibs c so I'm always bunged up, plus I'm on tramadol and a shed load of other meds

I had a colonic irrigation once, I stress once. The woman who did it told me a helpful tip though that I use to this day.. Rub your tummy in a clockwise direction as you are following the direction of the intestine and can help move things along. It does actually work! But do it yourself, don't pay someone else to do it that's just madness
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have a history of laxative abuse, and very often have problems just...getting things moving. I sometimes can be blocked up for a week at a time. It makes me very uncomfortable, and bloated also.

I heard a story recently of a girl who got an abdominal massage to relieve her constipation, and help out with her period. She claims she hasn't had issues much since, as the pressure from the massage (And learning some of the tricks) has helped ease things a long.

Has anyone else gotten an abdominal massage and found it has worked? I really cannot afford to fall back into old habits...

Short term an abdominal massage does work based on my experience during my hospital stay the time they replaced both of my hips the same day 24 years ago.

You need to find your health/eating problem and work to solve it as to why you are retaining the bad stuff in my view.

• jorinya
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    I have to do a mixture of.... Well all the above I guess lol. I have ibs c so I'm always bunged up, plus I'm on tramadol and a shed load of other meds

I had a colonic irrigation once, I stress once. The woman who did it told me a helpful tip though that I use to this day.. Rub your tummy in a clockwise direction as you are following the direction of the intestine and can help move things along. It does actually work! But do it yourself, don't pay someone else to do it that's just madness

That's actually what a midwife told me to do for my first son who had serious colic. It worked. Oh and another thing to check out is the alignment of your back, sounds crazy but can effect your intestines. Wouldn't hurt going to see a chiropractor.
    My daughter had problems going toilet and someone told me to take her to a chiropractor, turned out her back was out in three places due the way they handled her during my c-section. She is three now and has no problem going toilet thank God!!!
  • cassandralepandaa
    cassandralepandaa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    star1407 wrote: »

That's actually what a midwife told me to do for my first son who had serious colic. It worked. Oh and another thing to check out is the alignment of your back, sounds crazy but can effect your intestines. Wouldn't hurt going to see a chiropractor.
    My daughter had problems going toilet and someone told me to take her to a chiropractor, turned out her back was out in three places due the way they handled her during my c-section. She is three now and has no problem going toilet thank God!!!

I think you may be onto something actually! :open_mouth:

I was hit by a car last year and it impaired my back greatly. I think I may look into that.

I'd say my fiber intake is relatively high. I eat a mostly veggies, legumes, fish. Soup. <3 Eggs.
    I'm picky about grains however. I've never enjoyed bread, or pasta. I used to live in Vietnam, and ate rice a lot, so I'm not very fond of it any more. Quinoa is...okay, but I can't stand a lot. I don't mind oats, but I feel sick when I eat them.

The other thing I lack in my diet is fruits. I admit, I don't eat many. Maybe twice a week... Nothing against them, I'm just not a big sweet tooth.
    What fruits would help maybe...? :L
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do you not log your intake? guideline for fibre is about 14g for every 1,000 calories you consume. You can of course get too much, and that could have the same symptoms as getting too little.
  • jorinya
    Options
    I think you may be onto something actually! :open_mouth:

I was hit by a car last year and it impaired my back greatly. I think I may look into that.

I'd say my fiber intake is relatively high. I eat a mostly veggies, legumes, fish. Soup. <3 Eggs.
    I'm picky about grains however. I've never enjoyed bread, or pasta. I used to live in Vietnam, and ate rice a lot, so I'm not very fond of it any more. Quinoa is...okay, but I can't stand a lot. I don't mind oats, but I feel sick when I eat them. Loop
    The other thing I lack in my diet is fruits. I admit, I don't eat many. Maybe twice a week... Nothing against them, I'm just not a big sweet tooth.

Try it and let me know how it goes for you. Add me so you can keep me posted. Banana is good but make sure you follow it with a kiwi to level out the potassium. You can get lots of info online about high fibre foods.

I need to go see a chiropractor myself when I go home. My lower back is aching, old injury when pregnant , and also having problems going toilet even though I'm taking extra fibre in my diet but I don't log it.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    http://perinealpressure.yale.edu/

72% of the treatment group reported that the perineal pressure technique helped them to “break up, soften, or pass [their] stools.”
    54% reported that the technique helped them to “avoid having a hemorrhoid or lessened the impact of an existing hemorrhoid.”
    72% reported that the technique helped them to “avoid or better manage the effects of constipation.”
    82% of the treatment group patients indicated that they would continue to use the technique, and 72% indicated that they would recommend the technique to family and friends.
  • deniztuzu2
    deniztuzu2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Prunes are good.