Another Newbie question about macros (specifically protein)

Options
kindrabbit
kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
Hi. I am a few months into my journey now and am happy with my weight loss. I have got my head around the whole CICO theory. I train with weights (stronglifts 5X5), I do circuit training once or twice a week and I am training for a 10k.

Now I'm happy with sticking within my calorie goals (currently 1590 as of todays weigh in) my attention is turning more to macros. My goal weight is 10 stone (140lbs). I have another 8lbs to go and am planning on taking between 8 and 16 weeks to loose that list bit.

I understand that I want to be aiming to eat my ideal lean muscle mass in protein (lbs for grams obviously!) so I'm thinking around 100g. At the moment I am just concentrating on calories and checking the protein at the end of the day and making a mental note but I am planning to make a more concerted effort to hit the protein goals.

My actual question is that when I enter my stats into MFP and it calculates my protein goals it recommends 80g. What would you suggest is a good figure to start to aim for?

Any tips for me as I start the next step in my journey?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am for 1 gram per lean body mass.. for me it is around 90. I tried to do 1 per body weight, but not enough calories in the day. I do supplement with a protein shakes but these really make me bloated and feel terrible so I only have half after workout and the other as a snack later in the day. I eat the rest in food.. I eat alot of fish and chicken, eggs, nuts, healthy fats and do watch the type of carbs I consume every day of the week.

• Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It depends what percent you have the protein ratio at which is giving you the 80grams protein. You can change the ratios in the settings. I'd stick with the at least 100grams protein, personally I'd do more like 120-135g if I were you. Because if you got to 140lb, that'd mean you'd have 40lbs fat If you followed the 1g per lb of lean mass, which at that point I doubt you have 40lbs fat, maybe more like 20lb. So if you had 20lb fat for instance, at 140lb that'd be around 120g protein to shoot for. Just estimates though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Garebearrr wrote: »
    It depends what percent you have the protein ratio at which is giving you the 80grams protein. You can change the ratios in the settings. I'd stick with the at least 100grams protein, personally I'd do more like 120-135g if I were you. Because if you got to 140lb, that'd mean you'd have 40lbs fat If you followed the 1g per lb of lean mass, which at that point I doubt you have 40lbs fat, maybe more like 20lb. So if you had 20lb fat for instance, at 140lb that'd be around 120g protein to shoot for. Just estimates though.

Think of it this way, if you eat 120 grams of protein at 4 calories/gram, can you eat or drink this in a days worth of calories at 480 calories... If so it is doable.. I don't think it is necessary.. But some say lean body mass and some say body weight..

I lift weights and the 1 gram per lean body mass is enough for me, but I am way below 140 pounds.. My settings are customized and not using MFP recommendations.. (i set protein first, then fat and whats left is for carbs.. i may do this differently than most do)
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For your weight, maybe anywhere between 90-120g protein would be good.
    Cause mfp's default recommendation is a bit low of a daily % of calories from protein.
    I weight slightly less than you, but I've got my target at 170g protein. But i just looovve chicken and turkey breast slices and enjoy the taste of a protein shake or two each day too, so as overkill as it is. It still works for me Haha.

But you could go higher than 120g without any problems (Assuming you have no liver or kidney problems and that they're healthy). Don't let anyone give you any specific numbers though.
    Anything over 80g is considered 'well higher than normal', compared to the average diet I think. Obviously there's some more benefits for going to 100g, 120g, and maybe a little higher.
    But it depends on your tastes, what you would usually eat on a daily basis. How much you actually like eating things like tuna, chicken, turkey, other fish or lean meats, peanuts, or even if you like/enjoy protein shakes and drinking them.
    If you do like some or most those things, and would be happy to eat (or drink in case of protein shakes) at least some of them on a daily basis. Then anywhere between 100-150g is good to decide on. If you don't really like them, then nothing wrong with as "low" as 70-80g.
    All up to personal preference :smile:
  • kindrabbit
    Options

MFP recommends 80g when I let it choose the amount for me so it sets the percentages itself. I'm not sure how it calculates them. I have customized it myself in the past but wondered if MFP knows better or whether my personal goals are different to what MFP recommends
    gia07 wrote: »

Think of it this way, if you eat 120 grams of protein at 4 calories/gram, can you eat or drink this in a days worth of calories at 480 calories... If so it is doable.. I don't think it is necessary.. But some say lean body mass and some say body weight..

I lift weights and the 1 gram per lean body mass is enough for me, but I am way below 140 pounds.. My settings are customized and not using MFP recommendations.. (i set protein first, then fat and whats left is for carbs.. i may do this differently than most do)

How do you calculate your protein goal?
  • kindrabbit
    Options
    Spyer116 wrote: »
    For your weight, maybe anywhere between 90-120g protein would be good.
    Cause mfp's default recommendation is a bit low of a daily % of calories from protein.
    I weight slightly less than you, but I've got my target at 170g protein. But i just looovve chicken and turkey breast slices and enjoy the taste of a protein shake or two each day too, so as overkill as it is. It still works for me Haha.

But you could go higher than 120g without any problems (Assuming you have no liver or kidney problems and that they're healthy). Don't let anyone give you any specific numbers though.
    Anything over 80g is considered 'well higher than normal', compared to the average diet I think. Obviously there's some more benefits for going to 100g, 120g, and maybe a little higher.
    But it depends on your tastes, what you would usually eat on a daily basis. How much you actually like eating things like tuna, chicken, turkey, other fish or lean meats, peanuts, or even if you like/enjoy protein shakes and drinking them.
    If you do like some or most those things, and would be happy to eat (or drink in case of protein shakes) at least some of them on a daily basis. Then anywhere between 100-150g is good to decide on. If you don't really like them, then nothing wrong with as "low" as 70-80g.
    All up to personal preference :smile:

Thank you. I always thought I was a massive carnivore so have been surprised at how rarely I even hit 100g. I think with a bit more consideration and thought I can up it.