whats your goal?

Options
having a chat today with my mum made me think more about my weight goal.
When I started this weight loss I was around 210lbs, and only 5'6.
But a healthy weight would be more like 10stone but that just seems so ridiculous to me I can't have it as my goal!
My "dream" weight would be 12 stone.
My current goal is 13 stone 10lbs.

Just wondering how others view their goals? Are they achievable? Or do you keep altering your goal once you have achieved one?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, when I started at 160lbs (11 stone 6) my initial goal was 120 (8 stone 8). When I got there I decided I wanted to lose more weight, so got down to 112lbs (8 stone). I then put some of the weight back on when I graduated from uni and moved back home, I'm now back to 125lbs, and trying to get back down to where I was before (or at least lose a bit more weight until I'm happy). I know it's achievable because I've got there before, and when I first set the goal I viewed it as totally achievable. I don't really get why you would think one goal was achievable and another wasn't - if you think you can lose 18lbs, why not more?

I also find it funny that you say "only 5'6" when that's taller than average :P
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" too. I started at 202.5 and my first goal was 154. Once I hit it, my next goal was 150. Now my goal doesn't have a specific number because it's based on what I see in the mirror but I am crossing my fingers I"ll get there somewhere between 137 and 140.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Started with a goal of losing 80lbs. Now I am shooting for a goal of 8% body fat with many other goals that have already been achieved. Just keep at them. They are all achievable.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' tall and want to weigh 117 pounds. I have 20 pounds to go.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One of my first goal was to get under 140 lbs and now its to get under 130 lbs or about 20% body fat. My other goals include keeping up with the fit people in my family, being in the best shape of my life when I turn 30 and probably start having babies and looking good naked ;)

For reference I'm 5'7.5 and started at 153 lbs.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,972 Member
    Options
    My first goal was to be able to fit into a certain, fairly expensive waterproof-breathable cycling jacket. I bought it about 4 years ago and very gradually got to a point where I couldn't zip it up. So then I thought I might just buy another, but they are quite expensive and the one I have is still in excellent condition, so I figured that losing enough weight so I could wear it again would be the less expensive option.

The last two weekends, I've been wearing it comfortably on rides again. :) But I wouldn't mind losing just a bit more so I could wear a fleecy vest under it for the coming colder days.

My second goal is to lose as much as possible on a net 1250 cal/day diet by mid-June. That seems to be going all right ... one month to go! :)
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I made a completely attainable goal to get me started. I decided I wanted to lose 52 lbs this year (SW 242). That gave me the incentive to lose without rushing or stressing. I've lost 50 lbs already though, so I've practically met that goal. My new adjusted goal is to lose another 30ish the rest of the year which should be attainable at a 1 lb/week loss. That will put me at 160, which is still considered overweight, but I will be quite happy there for this year. If I had it in me, I'd set a third goal for 145 for next year, but I'm not sure about that yet. I also set mini goals along the way to keep me motivated, I like the little victories.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    having a chat today with my mum made me think more about my weight goal.
    When I started this weight loss I was around 210lbs, and only 5'6.
    But a healthy weight would be more like 10stone but that just seems so ridiculous to me I can't have it as my goal!
    My "dream" weight would be 12 stone.
    My current goal is 13 stone 10lbs.

Just wondering how others view their goals? Are they achievable? Or do you keep altering your goal once you have achieved one?

I'm also 5 ft, 6in and my current maintenance range is 120-125lbs My original goal weight was 135lbs, but when I reached it I realized it wasn't where I wanted to be at yet, so I updated my goal and kept at it for a while longer. Now in maintenance I continue to adjust periodically, depending on my current goals. I'm getting ready to go back into a short period of weight loss starting again next week, to get my range down to 118-121lbs for the summer months (very low end of a healthy bmi for height).
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    These are some great goals everyone! Way to go!
    My goal would be 140/145. BUT I'm not really sure bc it depends on how I look in the mirror so for now I can't wait to be 170. My SW was 192.2 I am currently 184.6. Only been at it 3 wks. My fitness goal is to train myself to run so I started using C25K. I do day 3 today (first wk will be complete)
    2nd fitness goal would be to complete Insanity (way down the road!) :)
    good luck everyone!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I have similar stats to the OP. I'm 5'6 with a starting weight of 210.

My first big goal was to get down to a healthy BMI range (155 pounds). After I achieved that goal, I ended up slowing my weight loss down with only small 5-10 pound goals in mind. Right now, I'm slowly working on getting down to around 135 pounds (I'm currently 140 but have a small body frame), though I know the weight loss will take a while based on the way I eat (I've been maintaining for the past three months because of school).

I have never been this skinny, and I do not know entirely what weight looks best on me. It's one of the main reasons why my goal seems to shift based off how I feel at a current weight.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and started out at 95kg (207lbs / 14stone 13), started with my consultant and MFP at 91kg (200lb/ 14 stone 4). Currently I am at 80kg (176kg / 12 stone 8)
    Oh my God, I lost over two stone since January and as doing in kg I never realised.
    Target weight is 65kg (143lb/ 10 stone 3)

My goal for this month is to weigh less than my neighbour who is 79kg. Almost there!!! Can't wait to show her my card showing 78kg. Wonder what that will feel like??? Can't wait!!!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    ArkMom35 wrote: »
    I made a completely attainable goal to get me started. I decided I wanted to lose 52 lbs this year (SW 242). That gave me the incentive to lose without rushing or stressing. I've lost 50 lbs already though, so I've practically met that goal. My new adjusted goal is to lose another 30ish the rest of the year which should be attainable at a 1 lb/week loss. That will put me at 160, which is still considered overweight, but I will be quite happy there for this year. If I had it in me, I'd set a third goal for 145 for next year, but I'm not sure about that yet. I also set mini goals along the way to keep me motivated, I like the little victories.

Arkmom35 it amazes me how our starting weight is the same and our goals are almost exactly the same for now.
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Going to stalk this thread

I start last march to getting back to what i was before being pregnant.

I ended up at 16st 1lb around 225lbs
    i set myself mini goals to lose for a month. So it would be like 5 to 10lbs month. By august inhad lost 4st and when on my girls holiday i gaines half back in holiday and then another half back from then to jan this year. I was gutted i let myself slip a bit.

Mid feb i gave myself kick up the butt and set a new goal in site. Girls auguat again late august and ice gone from 13st 6lbs (188lbs) to 11st 4lbs (158lbs).

I have about 28lbs id like to lose by august if possible. Im aiming no to tone up. and lose fee more inchs until in super happy and confident within myself

Good luck everyone and please feel free to add me. Xxxx
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I started at 179 lbs. My initial goal was to lose 30 lbs which would put me near the top of a healthy BMI for my height. As I lost weight I changed my goal to 125 lbs. It is in the middle of the healthy BMI range. I have been at that weight before and felt it was pretty good for me. I don't want to go lower than that weight.
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, when I started at 160lbs (11 stone 6) my initial goal was 120 (8 stone 8). When I got there I decided I wanted to lose more weight, so got down to 112lbs (8 stone). I then put some of the weight back on when I graduated from uni and moved back home, I'm now back to 125lbs, and trying to get back down to where I was before (or at least lose a bit more weight until I'm happy). I know it's achievable because I've got there before, and when I first set the goal I viewed it as totally achievable. I don't really get why you would think one goal was achievable and another wasn't - if you think you can lose 18lbs, why not more?

I also find it funny that you say "only 5'6" when that's taller than average :P

I said 'only 5'6' because I shouldn't weigh 210 lbs and only be 5'6...

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I started at @202 lbs . I'm 5'8 tall. My doctors scale said 212, but my home said 202 so that's what I went with. Anyway, my original goal was 127. I found out that it wasn't sustainable for me and that 135/138 was better for me personally.
    So everyone's answers will be different, it's all up to how you feel when you get there. You'll know when it's right :-)
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, started at 210 as well. I reached my first goal 150lbs and now want to be btw 135-140 lbs.