Hitting protein macros

Options
catbrand
catbrand Posts: 227 Member
Hey,

I feel like this is something I should really know the answer to, but google is conflicting and my brain is tired. Anyway...

I'm wondering how important it is to be hitting my protein goal every day? I know the importance of protein for muscle growth and repair, but at the moment I'm not doing any strength training, but obviously I don't want to lose any of the muscle I have so I'm guessing that eating protein is pretty important.

At the moment I'm eating 2000 calories. I used scoobys calculator to get this figure as I do insanity max30 5x per week, kickboxing 2x per week and I have a fairly active job. I weigh 183lb/170cm/29yo female (incase you wondered!) I am set to lose 1lb/week and macros are set at carbs 40% protein and fat 30%.

So at the moment I'm not hitting the protein, it's more carbs. Looking back at my diary over the last few days (since I started insanity and increased my cals) I've eaten an average of 120g per day. Should I add in a protein shake after my workout or is it not so important that I hit the protein ratio given that I'm not strength training right now?

Thanks.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ratio doesn't matter, total grams do. Even for strength training a good rule is .8-1 grams per lean mass in lbs. I don't know your lean mass, but 120 grams seems plenty for the average woman.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oh right it's lean mass?! Then I'm eating plenty!! Can't believe I typed all of that out lol.

Thanks!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    120 is more than enough. The required amount for a sedentary female is 46g. Even for strength training youd be riht up there at 120.