seem like im getting nowhere

Ive been excercise for about 4 months now and feel like im getting nowhere, i was about 187 when i started and now im 180 i go to the gym 5 days a week do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strenth training. The past two weeks ive done nothing different and cant seem to get past 180. I feel like im stuck there. Any advice?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    You are losing a half a pound a month, so you are getting somewhere.

do you use a food scale to weigh all your solid foods?
  • Sfeebz
    Sfeebz Posts: 1 Member
    I am feeling the same way. I'm still going though. At some point the plateau has to break and weight will drop. Maybe try doing a different exercise routine? I've heard that helps.
  • ndj1979
    Sfeebz wrote: »
    I am feeling the same way. I'm still going though. At some point the plateau has to break and weight will drop. Maybe try doing a different exercise routine? I've heard that helps.

calorie deficit is what causes weight loss …not mixing up exercise routines.

if you are not losing you are not in a calorie deficit….
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Are you counting your calories?
    Logging all food you are eating?
    Did you figure out your calorie deficit?
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    edited May 2015
    OP, your diary isn't open so it's difficult to give you any specific advice. You're doing something right because you've lost 7 pounds in 16 weeks. It's all about CICO--calories in, calories out. Steady, slow weight loss is nothing to be scoffed at--you're moving the right direction.

Without knowing more, all I can recommend is: if you aren't already, weigh and log all foods...reduce sodium in your diet if you're eating processed foods...increase the intensity of your cardio not the amount of time (30 minutes 5X a week is plenty for a weight loss regimen)...mix up your cardio so you don't get burned out doing same thing over and over...and drink plenty of water.

Two other things that have helped me: I avoid fast food because it burns through my calories for the day too quickly (and usually has a ton of sodium) and I wear a Jawbone UP tracker so I can make sure I'm getting 10,000 steps a day. BTW, I do not log those as exercise calories unless I'm walking at least 4 mph and more than 20 minutes at a time. Over-estimating exercise burn and under-estimating calories is where it's easy to get a false sense of success.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    Exercise alone may initially help with weight loss, but it still going to come down to CICO. You've not mentioned how you eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • acoppolo78
    acoppolo78 Posts: 13 Member
    I do log my food and try to stay under 1400 calories a day. Im gonna see if i can figure out how to open my diary so you can view it
  • acoppolo78
    i dont eat alot during the day small snacks usually just to keep me from not being hungry then ill have an okay dinner but nothing over my calories.
  • rushfive
    I checked out your diary. You have some days empty and no snacks logged.
    I would log the food you eat better. Do you drink anything else besides breakfast?
    Also, maybe a few more veggies. :)
  • ndj1979
    acoppolo78 wrote: »
    i dont eat alot during the day small snacks usually just to keep me from not being hungry then ill have an okay dinner but nothing over my calories.

do you use a food scale? Yes, or no????

I am guessing no….
  • ndj1979
    Op - Looking in your diary, I see incomplete days, generic entries, cups, etc.

Here is what you need to do.

1. tighten up logging and log everything
    2. stop using generic entry and use the actual brand name that you are eating/drinking/etc
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solids and as many liquids as possible

do this for two to three weeks and I think it will be an eye opener for you…

I think you are underestimating calories consumed.
  • acoppolo78
    I dont use a food scale and i usually drink coffee if i have a cup in the afternoon i just add it to whats alreay there.
  • rushfive
    I agree with ndj, you are probably underestimating your calories. I know you eat out a lot and that is fairly easy to log.. but make sure you are logging Everything and the correct quantity. A food scale is best, in the meantime use your tablespoon, teasp, measuring cups, and log it that way. Be completely honest with what you eat and drink, don't estimate.
    Good Luck.

• 50LV115
    50LV115 Posts: 3 Member
    But also keep in mind that even if you are not seeing quick weight loss results, you are doing your body a world of good by exercising. People often lose sight of the fact that it's not all just about what you weigh, it's about the condition of your health. And you are making a significant contribution to the latter, regardless of what is or is not happening with the former. Good luck!