any tips in bulking

Options
Hi guys , my macro are currently set to 50c 30p 20f and i weight 86kg and i am looking forward to bulk to 90kg within the 2 months. I normally do superset and dropset at my workout. I wonder if any guys out there with experience can guide me along ?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Super sets and drops sets are not necessary for building muscle. They'll give you a pump, but not help otherwise unless you're taking steroids.

Progressive overload and a calorie surplus builds muscle. My advice is Lift heavy.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hi guys , my macro are currently set to 50c 30p 20f and i weight 86kg and i am looking forward to bulk to 90kg within the 2 months. I normally do superset and dropset at my workout. I wonder if any guys out there with experience can guide me along ?

No mention of calorie goal. That is far and away the most important factor in successfully bulking.
  • hongweixian
    hongweixian Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote:
    No mention of calorie goal. That is far and away the most important factor in successfully bulking.

My total calories is 2794 and i currently increasing it to 3300 . Is it too low or did i set my goal too high ?
  • hongweixian
    Options
    Super sets and drops sets are not necessary for building muscle. They'll give you a pump, but not help otherwise unless you're taking steroids.

Progressive overload and a calorie surplus builds muscle. My advice is Lift heavy.
    Thanks bro for the great advise . Just to ask . Is my macro correct for bulking ? I have been increasing my calories intake from 2774 to 3300.
  • S4Lyons
    S4Lyons Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Always focus on progressive overload regardless, but I personally have found gains in dropsets cable curls, allot of people have misconceptions on what progressive overload really is, but do whatever you feel comfortable doing, I personally always strive for the extra rep regardless of whether im doing 50 reps or 5, or up the weight just a kilo each week but if you want all kinds of gains dont forget to eat
  • S4Lyons
    S4Lyons Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Cable curls specifically because I just like them :P
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Thanks bro for the great advise . Just to ask . Is my macro correct for bulking ? I have been increasing my calories intake from 2774 to 3300.

Your macros look OK. I wouldn't make the jump to 2774 to 3300 in one go. If you're eating 2774 now and your're not sure if you're at maintenance calories then I would add 100-200 calories to your daily goal and do that every week while measuring your progress until you get where want to be. The goal is to build muscle and not add on a ton of fat. If you're certain your maintaining right now at 2774, then adding 400 calories would be fine. Use your weight and BF calipers to judge if you're making the progress you want to see. You're looking for a surplus of about 400 calories.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I wound always get the required protein know matter what...then adjust and time the carbs around weight training (peri workout) get in the right saturated fats to get that T up. Happy lifting.
  • hongweixian
    Options
    S4Lyons wrote: »
    Always focus on progressive overload regardless, but I personally have found gains in dropsets cable curls, allot of people have misconceptions on what progressive overload really is, but do whatever you feel comfortable doing, I personally always strive for the extra rep regardless of whether im doing 50 reps or 5, or up the weight just a kilo each week but if you want all kinds of gains dont forget to eat

Hi bro , thanks for the recommendation , i been doing that everyweek , trying to add more weight with prefect form . I personally also love doing cable workout, because it is easy to do dropset and superset with
  • hongweixian
    Options

Your macros look OK. I wouldn't make the jump to 2774 to 3300 in one go. If you're eating 2774 now and your're not sure if you're at maintenance calories then I would add 100-200 calories to your daily goal and do that every week while measuring your progress until you get where want to be. The goal is to build muscle and not add on a ton of fat. If you're certain your maintaining right now at 2774, then adding 400 calories would be fine. Use your weight and BF calipers to judge if you're making the progress you want to see. You're looking for a surplus of about 400 calories.

Hi bro , sorry for not mentioning , my calories to maintaining is 2774 . Thanks for the advise , i will definitelybe adding 400 calories into my meal
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Edited because I can't do math.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Keep your expectations realistic. If you are gaining about a pound of muscle a month, then you are doing all-right.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP, I would encourage you not set a weight target by "X" date. You really should just be focusing on making sure your lifting stats are slowly creeping up. The weight gain is just to check that you are getting the proper amount of calories. Plenty of info out there to tell you what you should be gaining based on your number of months training (it get progressively harder to put on lean mass the bigger you get).

It's a lot better to bulk as clean as possible. Common mistake to get overzealous and dirty bulk. You will end up with more body fat than you want, and you will have to cut longer to get it off, which comes with the risks of losing muscle gains. Cutting phase is not fun. At all. So try to minimize how much you have to do of it.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    OP, I would encourage you not set a weight target by "X" date. You really should just be focusing on making sure your lifting stats are slowly creeping up. The weight gain is just to check that you are getting the proper amount of calories. Plenty of info out there to tell you what you should be gaining based on your number of months training (it get progressively harder to put on lean mass the bigger you get).

It's a lot better to bulk as clean as possible. Common mistake to get overzealous and dirty bulk. You will end up with more body fat than you want, and you will have to cut longer to get it off, which comes with the risks of losing muscle gains. Cutting phase is not fun. At all. So try to minimize how much you have to do of it.

This is very good advice. Keep your surplus minimal. Food sources aren't a big concern, however, as long as you reach your macros.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options

This is very good advice. Keep your surplus minimal. Food sources aren't a big concern, however, as long as you reach your macros.

When I said clean bulk, that was in reference to a moderate calorie surplus OP; 300-500 calories over maintenance. Sorry, should have clarified. The source of the calories, like sjohnson__1 has stated, doesn't matter.
  • hongweixian
    Options

When I said clean bulk, that was in reference to a moderate calorie surplus OP; 300-500 calories over maintenance. Sorry, should have clarified. The source of the calories, like sjohnson__1 has stated, doesn't matter.

Thanks bro for the advice , i will definitely keep that in mind :)