Loose skin

Options
2»

Replies

• Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    from what I hear, teaching hospitals with universities are sometimes the cheaper way to go. And going through a teaching hospital doesn't necessarily equate to sacrificing quality of work.

My nephew is a doctor. He said that everything they do at a teaching hospital is performed under strict supervision.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    All the more reason to lose at a steady pace, drink plenty of water and to do resistance training from the start.

depending on the amount of weight lost, even that won't necessarily help. I have fantastic muscle definition. You just can't see it unless you pull the huge skin drapes tight.

^^This.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    All the more reason to lose at a steady pace, drink plenty of water and to do resistance training from the start.

Which is exactly what I did. 155 lbs lost over 2.5 years. I have fantastic muscle definition, which is easy to see in my biceps and shoulders, and that's about it. Bat wings, and horrible loose skin on my stomach and legs. There is plenty of muscle underneath, you just can't see it. I've been maintaining for nearly a year now.

Still, I'll take loose skin over being morbidly obese. Surgery here in Australia is far too expensive to be an option.

Obviously there are limits to how much skin will be able to recover, especially if you have been morbidly obese. This point has already been raised and acknowledged above. The OP has lost half that amount.

Btw if anyone can get 4OD, then this issue was covered in a TV series including following the operation. http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/episodes/episode-guides/embarrassing-fat-bodies/embarrassing-fat-bodies-episode-1/excess-skin/
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    anjol35 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback-guess I was expecting the suggestion of a great excercise or plan but maybe I better look into the surgery.

Wait!

Wait a bit, if it is mostly for aesthetic reasons that you're considering it. Get down to your goal weight and keep it fairly constant for a year or so.
    The reason we get into strength training when loose skin is involved, isn't to add muscle to fill in where fat used to be. It's to melt that subcutaneous fat that is still present even though it may not seem like it now. Depending on area, skin is only a few millimeters thick. Pinch your flabby skin - is it about half an inch or so? --> there is still fat underneath. Until most of that fat is gone, skin has no reason to tighten.
    Imagine you are wearing a coat that's 4 sizes too big on you. That is the subcutaneous fat layer. Now, on top of that coat, you have another one, slightly bigger. Skin has to cover your whole body. It can't be tighter than what you have underneath. You want the top coat smaller, get a smaller size for the intermediate layer.
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    PS: of course results won't be the same for everyone, but depending on age and genetics, anyone can expect their skin to tighten up at least a bit. Depending on weight lost and time, it can also be more or less aparent.

It would be asinine if I were to say it's always possible... But there is hope.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Dave55412 wrote: »
    from what I hear, teaching hospitals with universities are sometimes the cheaper way to go. And going through a teaching hospital doesn't necessarily equate to sacrificing quality of work.

My nephew is a doctor. He said that everything they do at a teaching hospital is performed under strict supervision.

Exactly. I had my kidney yoinked out at a teaching hospital....I'm still kicking' so obviously they do alright. lol

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have been taking cod liver oil. I also dry brush and use tons of coconut oil. I just lost 50 pounds but I think all of these thing have really helped.
  • Extra86
    Extra86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Male here with 45 lbs. to lose! Will I also have to contend with lose skin, or is this only a problem when you lose a lot more weight?
  • omgfluke
    omgfluke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs in 2010 and have maintained at around 170lbs since then. The loose skin has never gone away and I don't think it ever will without surgery or putting weight back on. It isn't so bad that I'd consider surgery, people look at my face and can see slightly hanging skin but I'm within what is considered 'average looks' despite the hanging skin. I've now half way through losing another 14lbs so it'll get a bit worse.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    vypressme wrote: »
    anjol35 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback-guess I was expecting the suggestion of a great excercise or plan but maybe I better look into the surgery.

Wait!

Wait a bit, if it is mostly for aesthetic reasons that you're considering it. Get down to your goal weight and keep it fairly constant for a year or so.
    The reason we get into strength training when loose skin is involved, isn't to add muscle to fill in where fat used to be. It's to melt that subcutaneous fat that is still present even though it may not seem like it now. Depending on area, skin is only a few millimeters thick. Pinch your flabby skin - is it about half an inch or so? --> there is still fat underneath. Until most of that fat is gone, skin has no reason to tighten.
    Imagine you are wearing a coat that's 4 sizes too big on you. That is the subcutaneous fat layer. Now, on top of that coat, you have another one, slightly bigger. Skin has to cover your whole body. It can't be tighter than what you have underneath. You want the top coat smaller, get a smaller size for the intermediate layer.

Yeah but that's much easier said than done... I mean, you can't spot reduce. The belly and the hip are the last place I'm losing, for example, and by the time that subcutaneous fat is gone, the rest of my body will be way too skinny and I'll look ill. I really like my legs and my arms and don't really want them to get more muscular looking either, so it's a losing battle frankly... just got to live with it. And let's be honest... it would still look much better if there wasn't any loose skin... fat alone doesn't give you a wrinkled belly pouch, lol.

So yeah... genetics, really.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    RyaJen - I'm 55. I lost 45 pounds over 6 months and have no loose skin. I used to get a little saggy fat around every 5 pounds of loss, then it would tighten up. No massive exercise, just walking 5 miles a day. Part of it is genes. Part being tall so it's spread out. It just depends on the person. I gained and lost 55 pounds with each baby and it bounced back too. Luck of the draw.

Pu-239: If that's you, you are a brave man for posting and I admire you for it. My sister has lost 60 pounds so far with another 100 to go, and my brother-in-law has lost 114. I know this is an issue they're having, despite the happiness with the weight loss. It's a hard fact to deal with.
  • zoltanszecsi
    zoltanszecsi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I want to loose more weight any one please help with this...
  • blossom015
    blossom015 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    CW: 127lbs @ 5'4" . I lost 80lbs thru cross fit and diet. I hope to improve my mid-section but afraid that any additional weight lost will result in saggy skin. What are thoughts? Recommendations? I'm considering doing the following; low carb, pilates, joggingpa82nzeymwom.jpg
    u6nx43vq5yg1.jpg

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Blossom - I think you're going to look fine.
  • blossom015
    blossom015 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @nxd10 thanks for your feedback. I will post a 4wk update
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

Did all that. Still ended up with loose skin.

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Extra86 wrote: »
    Male here with 45 lbs. to lose! Will I also have to contend with lose skin, or is this only a problem when you lose a lot more weight?

There is no way to say for sure. It depends on several factors: how overweight you are, how long you have been overweight, your age and genetics.