Anxiety and Increase in Appettite. Help!

Options
I have become aware of very hurtful and painful events regarding my significant other. My stress has sky rocketed and I feel an increase in my appetite. I am scared of gaining weight again. I went from 195 to 161 in 7 months and know I can gain it back if not careful. I am disabled so am limited to my workouts. Aside from leaving the relationship, what can I do to prevent this weight gain? Thanks.

Replies

• Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    I can first give you a virtual hug.

Then, because I honestly don't know how else to help you I will just say, try to find another outlet besides food for your stress and keep on going on.

I hope I've helped a little bit.
  • LizBelle2015
    LizBelle2015 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    What do you typically eat when you feel an increase in your appetite?
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Big hugs, anxiety is horrible. I'm disabled too so limited on what I can do and it sucks. But there are small things we can do, it's about finding what you can do without hurting yourself

I would suggest until you can work through finding distractions from food, making sure you have a supply of carrot sticks, celery and apple to grab and nibble. But longer term you need to find calming strategies away from food. A warm bath with aromatherapy oils, lavender is excellent for stress, paint your nails, knit whatever calms you that you enjoy

You are going to need support, contact an advisory service that fits your situation, whether it is domestic abuse or whatever. Also mind are a mental health charity that can help you with your anxiety and the website no more panic is also a good place to visit

Food is just the sticking plaster you're putting on over the real problems, ultimately you are going to have to sort out the root cause

Good luck and best wishes
  • LizBelle2015
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Big hugs, anxiety is horrible. I'm disabled too so limited on what I can do and it sucks. But there are small things we can do, it's about finding what you can do without hurting yourself

I would suggest until you can work through finding distractions from food, making sure you have a supply of carrot sticks, celery and apple to grab and nibble. But longer term you need to find calming strategies away from food. A warm bath with aromatherapy oils, lavender is excellent for stress, paint your nails, knit whatever calms you that you enjoy

You are going to need support, contact an advisory service that fits your situation, whether it is domestic abuse or whatever. Also mind are a mental health charity that can help you with your anxiety and the website no more panic is also a good place to visit

Food is just the sticking plaster you're putting on over the real problems, ultimately you are going to have to sort out the root cause

Good luck and best wishes

Thank you for the support
  • LizBelle2015
    Options

• LizBelle2015
    Options
    Lean meats, fruit, I stopped carbs but caught myself eating small portions of crackers or 2-3 handfuls of cereal. Not overdoing it, but worried because I was staying away from carbs. Mainly protein. it's only been 2 days I've been feeling like this.
  • star1407
    Options
    Ok so nothing too major like tubs of Ben n jerry's at a time ( mmm Ben n jerry's)

You know what you need to do, focus on your calorie goal, do whatever little amount of physical movement/ activity you can manage and get yourself some support. Whatever stress you have it now, if you pile on your weight, it will be much worse

Can I ask, are you safe at home?
  • arobrtsn
    arobrtsn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Painting your nails truly does help me- good tip.
    Distraction, can't eat for a while, and the smell kills my appetite.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm disabled and have been dealing with a roller coaster of trauma for at least the 30 years that I can remember. And my relationship just had a bump a couple months ago. My solutions are ongoing, since the only common denominator in my trauma is me:

-I'm trying to identify harmful and racing thoughts as they're happening, and I'm taking deep breaths and really concentrating on them to help clear my mind. After I do that, I can more easily choose water or healthy food if I'm actually hungry.

-I decided to make it a point to exercise every day. At the very least, I do squats and I stretch to keep me in the habit for when I'm feeling extra sick. I've been in terrible pain all week, and just got news that I need my gallbladder removed, which will have to be an open surgery because of my kidney transplant. I wouldn't mind being considered "inspiring" sometime in the future. Restorative yoga would be happening if I had money.

-I'm being strict with my eating to be nice to my body. Binge eating messed up my digestive system to the point where high volume meals cause me days worth of pain. I'm not eating tofu and zucchini for lunch to punish myself, but because it's nourishing and there will be time later for me to eat more when I'm hungry again. At a street fair last week, I ate raw oysters and split a waffle with strawberries for dessert AND nibbled on sichuan spiced caramel corn (which took me several visits to finish) instead of sausages with onions and peppers, fried dough, and free ice cream that you can get in any supermarket.

-I see a counselor regularly because being disabled effing sucks and I need to think about it differently.

-I'm deciding what I want my life to be like, adding the things that I need to achieve that, and removing things that hold me back (including negative thoughts). I even created a pinterest account to visualize all these things. I've found that reading up on quantum physics is surprisingly helpful for stress relief. Try branching out (I spent the first half of my life as a stage performer, so math and science were never fully explored). Adventures always challenge the mind as long as you make it a point to enjoy the journey. You might even find a new passion!

This is what I've been trying, at least. It sounds like I'm some metaphysical flake (breathing, meditation, yoga, and quantum theory?), but I became a good singer by practicing. Reducing anxiety takes practice, too. I have to remind myself to do all these things, and it's so much harder when I'm in pain, but every time I take the time out to stop racing thoughts and make better choices, it's a victory. Eat and train for the body and health that you want!
  • star1407
    Options
    Love your post vune, sounds very similar to me. Being disabled does suck, but I've learned that hating it just holds me back, to the point where one day I sat and glued on loads of little diamantes o my walking stick. I figure if it's something I have to lug round with me, then I'm at least going to make it pretty lol. I'm currently thinking about how I can pretty up my wheelchair too!

Sometimes my anxiety can be so overwhelming and I have to go right back to the beginning with relaxation techniques, breathing exercises, meditation etc. painting my nails, hot baths with luxurious oils like jasmine or neroli, a face pack.... Which incidentally if it's one that dries hard makes it impossible to stuff ones mouth :D My garden is my sanctuary, my little space of heaven. I try and sit out whenever I can just to listen to the birds and watch them hopping from feeder to bird table, and I have planted flowers and plants that smell beautiful, it really lifts my mood
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Love your post vune, sounds very similar to me. Being disabled does suck, but I've learned that hating it just holds me back, to the point where one day I sat and glued on loads of little diamantes o my walking stick. I figure if it's something I have to lug round with me, then I'm at least going to make it pretty lol. I'm currently thinking about how I can pretty up my wheelchair too!

Sometimes my anxiety can be so overwhelming and I have to go right back to the beginning with relaxation techniques, breathing exercises, meditation etc. painting my nails, hot baths with luxurious oils like jasmine or neroli, a face pack.... Which incidentally if it's one that dries hard makes it impossible to stuff ones mouth :D My garden is my sanctuary, my little space of heaven. I try and sit out whenever I can just to listen to the birds and watch them hopping from feeder to bird table, and I have planted flowers and plants that smell beautiful, it really lifts my mood

It's so nice to know we aren't alone in all this! I wish I had a yard, so I could learn how to garden. I'm technically not allowed to because of my transplant, but I could wear a mask and shower afterward. Goals.
  • LizBelle2015
    Options
    Ok so nothing too major like tubs of Ben n jerry's at a time ( mmm Ben n jerry's)

You know what you need to do, focus on your calorie goal, do whatever little amount of physical movement/ activity you can manage and get yourself some support. Whatever stress you have it now, if you pile on your weight, it will be much worse

Can I ask, are you safe at home?

I am safe. For the time being. But I understand what you are saying. Thank you.
  • LizBelle2015
    Options
    Vune wrote: »

It's so nice to know we aren't alone in all this! I wish I had a yard, so I could learn how to garden. I'm technically not allowed to because of my transplant, but I could wear a mask and shower afterward. Goals.

• LizBelle2015
    Options
    Thank you for your words
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about carbs, it's all about calories, doesn't matter if it's carbs, protein, or fat. Although in fat, there are more calories per gram. Anyways I'm sorry that you're going through this, it's hard for me to say what you should do because when I have anxiety, my appetite decreases! I would say drink caffeine as that decreases your appetite, but that also my increase your already existent anxiety...I would just drink shakes and eat very small meals every 2 hours to keep you full. The reason why protein is good though is because it fills you up just as fatty foods do. Carbs don't really fill the body up because they are utilized quicker than the other macros and so your body gets hungry quicker, that's the major downside with carbs. I hope some of this helps... :/
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from anxiety and I found I was mistaking the anxiety I felt in the pit of my stomach for feelings of hunger. I put on about 10-12 lbs before I realized what was going on. I would think I was hungry when I know I shouldn't have been because I just ate, etc. Now that I can recognize this, I'm better able to know that it is just anxiety, not hunger and curb myself from unnecessarily eating. I meditate, do yoga, and practice relaxation techniques like deep breathing to control the anxiety. I also see a therapist and went on medication that helps also.
  • LizBelle2015
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Don't worry about carbs, it's all about calories, doesn't matter if it's carbs, protein, or fat. Although in fat, there are more calories per gram. Anyways I'm sorry that you're going through this, it's hard for me to say what you should do because when I have anxiety, my appetite decreases! I would say drink caffeine as that decreases your appetite, but that also my increase your already existent anxiety...I would just drink shakes and eat very small meals every 2 hours to keep you full. The reason why protein is good though is because it fills you up just as fatty foods do. Carbs don't really fill the body up because they are utilized quicker than the other macros and so your body gets hungry quicker, that's the major downside with carbs. I hope some of this helps... :/

• LizBelle2015
    Options
    Yes. Thank you.
  • LizBelle2015
    Options
    roseym10 wrote: »
    I also suffer from anxiety and I found I was mistaking the anxiety I felt in the pit of my stomach for feelings of hunger. I put on about 10-12 lbs before I realized what was going on. I would think I was hungry when I know I shouldn't have been because I just ate, etc. Now that I can recognize this, I'm better able to know that it is just anxiety, not hunger and curb myself from unnecessarily eating. I meditate, do yoga, and practice relaxation techniques like deep breathing to control the anxiety. I also see a therapist and went on medication that helps also.