What are your thoughts on walking?

Options

Replies

• physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I built a treadmill desk for myself to avoid long-term sitting. Walking shouldn't be confused with cardiovascular exercise for most people since it is so low-intensity that it doesn't require any cardiovascular adaptations (there are populations for whom walking IS exercise, though). Walking in place of sitting has important metabolic effects like maintenance of normal insulin sensitivity.
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Love, love, love walking. Walk at a fast pace at least 30 minutes. Do this often and your legs will tone up and you will feel energized. Throw in a 5k of walking (roughly 3.6miles) now and then. Again, fast pace about 12 to 15 minutes per mile. Will get you toned and add to your calorie deficit.
    5k= 3.1 miles
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I love walking long distance at a 13-14 MPH pace. I usually walk 3 to 5 miles on my weightlifting days and 8 miles on my days off from weightlifting and doing HIIT exercises.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any downside to walking.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if walking does contribute to weight loss. ...
    On my good days I can burn 1000 calories. This takes me all damn day tho. I have to do close to 25,000 steps, which is around 17kms.. 12ish miles

About an hour of running (~ 10km depending on what I'm up to pace wise) burns ~1,000 calories.
    Walking is among the least injurious movements, as is cycling and swimming.

I've no complaint with this but we shouldn't be encouraging the view that running will injure everyone because that simply isn't true.

• Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i think anything you can stick to is what is right for you. I see alot of judgement here and honestly what works for one person does not work for another.
    I have only been at this consistantly since the last week in febuary and I use alot of dvds for working out. Many times its Leslie sansone walking dvds. I love them and its better than me sitting watching tv. I usually wear my heart rate monitor and eat back half my calories from doing my exercise.
    good for you walking!!! stick to it!!!!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    On my good days I can burn 1000 calories. This takes me all damn day tho. I have to do close to 25,000 steps, which is around 17kms.. 12ish miles

Try adding hills! Or even hiking, if there's a place near you to do this. Going uphill on uneven terrain will up your calorie burn significantly. Be careful how steep your downhill is if you have knee issues, though.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    And it definitely does contribute to weight loss! Only if you don't eat back all your calories, though.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I love walking long distance at a 13-14 MPH pace.

Is that a typo?

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In my rural area with narrow roads the treadmill is the safer option and it is always accessible. I have lost 45 lbs (3 more lbs to goal) by using MFP and getting on the treadmill daily. I keep in the 3mph range - hate the thought of running. I use to go for 45 minutes, but now it's 60-90 minutes because I'm totally hooked on Korean dramas (hulu and dramafever). I mix it up with weekly folkdancing and intense house cleaning on Sat.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. :)

I will say, I went a little above and beyond today. I still only walked, but usually the highest pace I go to is 3.3 - 3.5 and today I went all the way up to 3.7 which brought my heart rate in to its peak zone for a major part of my time on the treadmill. I will continue to do other workouts to become fit but I like walking to help get my 10k steps per day.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    MapDancer wrote: »
    In my rural area with narrow roads the treadmill is the safer option and it is always accessible. I have lost 45 lbs (3 more lbs to goal) by using MFP and getting on the treadmill daily. I keep in the 3mph range - hate the thought of running. I use to go for 45 minutes, but now it's 60-90 minutes because I'm totally hooked on Korean dramas (hulu and dramafever). I mix it up with weekly folkdancing and intense house cleaning on Sat.

That is awesome you are so close to your goal! I usually watch Netflix while on the treadmill as well. I love walking outside also but I usually workout while my daughter is still sleeping in the morning or later at night after it is dark out so treadmill is better for me at those times.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Living in New York city and having to cross. :D
    Other than that, walking is an exercise that people can do for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

About an hour of running (~ 10km depending on what I'm up to pace wise) burns ~1,000 calories.

The MET for walking suggests about half the consultion of running. Assuming that's talking about all day step tracking using a Fitbit or similar, rather than purposful walking activity, that's about right.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I love walking long distance at a 13-14 MPH pace.

Is that a typo?

Has to be, that would be a world record half marathon pace.

• taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It takes time and it's seasonal in some places of the world. I still greatly enjoy it when I can.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It will burn less calories per hour than running, so it will create less of deficit allowing you to not eat that much extra calories/lose weight. Try walking with an HRM for an hour, and next time do walking with jogging intervals with an HRM and see the difference :) Might be a motivator to put in a little extra effort and see that you'll burn more calories = bigger deficit (if you don't eat them back) = weight loss. Or, it allows you to eat a bit more without gaining.
  • susiemeri
    susiemeri Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I walk every day, weather permitting. I aim for three miles on work mornings, and 4-5 on the weekends. It's fun, easy, and takes me to all sorts of fun places that I wouldn't pay attention to in the car. Modifying my diet is the main reason I'm losing weight, but walking is definitely a big help!

• Kitcandoo
    Kitcandoo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do you find that people try to make things more complicated than they really are? Life is complicated at times. Staying fit and healthy....this should not be. Walking is one of the most basic, effective movements we can do to reclaim our health by and do our body good. Walk, walk, walk. And if you vary the speed and tempo? Great! Just do it. Move and be healthy. Great job!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Due to some physical limitations, walking is the only exercise safely open to me at this point. I walk 20K+ steps per day, and have lost over 30 lbs in under 3 months. Walking rules! :)