What type of calorie diet should I be on?

i am 36 my weight is 232 now.. I was 250 pounds lost weight on 1500 calorie diet I want to go to 1200 is this a ok diet? I am active and go to the gym 5 times a week. I have looked it up they recommend for men between 1500 to 1200 can any one help me?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Is it going to kill you? No.

Is it enough to fuel your everyday life, never mind gym sessions? No.

Is it going to make you weep tears of deprivation? Yes.
  • douglassnyder20
    douglassnyder20 Posts: 9 Member
    What do you think is good?
  • douglassnyder20
    Thank you
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    You're a 36 year old, 250lb man training 5 days a week considering eating 1200 calories?

Are you insane?!?

I lose weight on more than than and I'm a 140lb female. You need more food. Find a calorie calculator, don't just grab numbers out of the air - you want to lose on as many calories as possible, not as little as possible.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    The winner get's to eat the most and still lose. Why wouldn't you want to eat the 1500?
  • douglassnyder20
    I have just started so I begin with the 1500 it worked for a bit but with as much as I go to the gym the weight stopped so I was just seeing if less would be better
  • douglassnyder20
    You're a 36 year old, 250lb man training 5 days a week considering eating 1200 calories?

Are you insane?!?

I lose weight on more than than and I'm a 140lb female. You need more food. Find a calorie calculator, don't just grab numbers out of the air - you want to lose on as many calories as possible, not as little as possible.

• douglassnyder20
    I am at 232 now but thanks I am new to this I am not really familiar with all this stuff
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I am at 232 now but thanks I am new to this I am not really familiar with all this stuff

It's still likely you need more food... If not, your bmr would have to be ridiculously low.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    If you’re not seeing results, either you have water retention/glycogen storage because of working out, or you’re not logging your intake correctly. I would suggest you use a food scale to weigh your food and make sure you log everything.

You definitely don’t need to eat 1200 calories :neutral: . That’s brutal, unnecessary, and possibly risky health-wise. Check out the Scooby calculator - it can give you a good idea of what your caloric intake should be.
  • douglassnyder20
    Alright thank you for your help I appreciate it
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Don’t be discouraged - you’ll get there! It’s all about the tracking :smile: . Good luck!
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    You DO realize that the entire purpose of MFP is to answer this question, yes? Plug in your data, the website spits out a calorie goal.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    To give you a comparison, I'm 41, 6'2", and weigh 230. I exercise for about an hour 5 days a week. I eat close to 2,300 calories a day and I'm still losing 1-1.5lbs a week.
  • douglassnyder20
    Ok well I got what I am looking for my doctor says between 1900-2100 so thank you all for the advise
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    What stats did MFP give you?