Low carb/low calorie weight loss issue

Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I've been trying to stay as close as 100 grams of carbs per day and under 1500 calories a day. Am I doing it wrong?

Nope, you're not. More important, you're sticking to the numbers your doctor gave you, and it's your doctor who knows what other medical issues/prescriptions/etc you are working with. If you are already on medication, you should not try doing keto (Atkins induction) without consulting with them first.

Someone linked the LC group above, and I would really suggest reading through their launchpad section. There's more than one way to do LC, and no one size fits all rule to it, aside from basic things like stay hydrated, keep your protein up, etc.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like a very sustainable food plan for the long haul.

Maybe not the low calorie part, but low carb can be and is sustainable. I've been on it for almost two years now.

Out of curiosity, what IS “low” carb? Grams / percentage-wise?

I see nothing wrong at all with the OPs diet. Mine is about the same, except with more protein for my lifting. Why would that be unsustainable? :neutral:

Depends on who you ask. Some say below 150g, some below 100g. Keto ranges 20g-50ish, depending on individual tolerance. Anything above 50g is simply just a choice in balancing carbs and fats to fill out macros after protein. Keto has other implications beyond that.

Thanks for the info! Huh. I guess I’m sort of low-carbing (though definitely not keto levels). Learn something new every day.

OP, I would ask your doctor for specifics - you’re off to a good start, so I wouldn’t worry too much!

Edit: Oops, if your doctor did give you some numbers, I’d stick to those over anything on the internet.
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Why is it that EVERYONE says its not healthy to lose a lot of weight in a month? People that weigh more burn a lot more calories then someone that weighs in there 100's.. Me for instance I am weighing in the 300's right now and I am losing lot more weight and burning more calories for someone in the 100's. So people gotta stop saying its not healthy to lose a lot in a month..
  • mallory5385
    mallory5385 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank u, u guys means a lot to me! I'm trying that's for sure. Again thank you for all your support and advice!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There doesn't seem to be an official definition of low carb. Here were some suggested definitions of low carb in Nutrition & Metabilism:
    The ADA designates low carbohydrate diets as less than
    130 g/d or 26% of a nominal 2000 kcal diet and we con-
    sider this a reasonable cutoff for the definition of a
    low carbohydrate diet. Carbohydrate consumption before the
    epidemic of obesity averaged 43%, and we suggest 26% to
    45% as the range for moderate-carbohydrate diets.

Low-carb ketogenic diet (LCKD): less than 50g carbs and 10% calories daily
    Low-carb diet (LCD): 50-130g carbs daily and between 10-26% of calories
    Moderate-carb diet (MCD): 130-225g carbs daily and between 26-45% of calories

Andreas Eenfeldt (popular LCHF Diet Doctor site) defines it as:
    Strict LCHF <20 gram carbs per day
    Moderate LCHF 20-50 grams per day
    Liberal LCHF 50-100 grams per day

ETA: That's a bit useless now but I tried. :p
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    One drops a lot of water when they first start dieting. Then adds it when introducing exercise, as your muscles are holding water while they repair. Give it some more time and things should stable off.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I gained about 4 pounds of water weight when I started exercising. Some people gain more or less than that. It's normal, and not fat. Also, water weight fluctuations for any number of reasons are very common...don't get too hung up on what happens in a week or two.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You seem to be eating a lot of carbs for someone on a low carb diet. I suggest you contact your doctor and ask them to give you a specific target. You also need to look at your logging. One day you logged a "refried beans and cheese burrito" with zero carbs, zero protein, zero fat... I guarantee it had a significant amount of carbs. If you medically need to follow a low carb diet you need to make sure you use entries with the correct amount of carbs listed.
  • mallory5385
    Options
    Oh that's weird I meant to put beans and cheese no tortilla oopppssss!
  • mallory5385
    Options
    It was just beans and cheese I chose the wrong entry everyone messes up lol
  • mallory5385
    Options
    May 3rd and May 4th was my 30th birthday and we went out of state to celebrate and I didn't eat 100% strictly on those days. Mom bought me a cake and stuff so I had a thin slice. Now that I'm thinking about it maybe that's why I gained.
  • greena
    greena Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I took a glance at your diary; while you are in a "healthy" calorie range for weight loss, in my opinion, the foods you are choosing aren't healthy. Is this diet suggested by your doctor? There is a serious lack of fresh vegetables on this plan. On many days, you only had a shake or latte for breakfast. How are you feeling eating this way -- do you feel hungry all the time or satisfied? I suggest that you ditch the shakes and maybe have a dietitian plan out a few healthy meals you can turn to for breakfast, lunch and dinner. After all, do you want to be drinking shakes for the rest of your life? Or learning how to eat / cook to eat healthy and stay at a healthy weight forever? Which will lead to long-term success for you? Good luck to you! It's all about finding the strategies that work for you long-term, not just a quick fix!!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Beans and cheese both have carbs. As someone has suggested the user-inputted information on the MFP database is quite often incorrect.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I think @kyrannosaurus was more implying that if you choose entries without correct info, you can't really track accurately. If your "bean and cheese" entry had no carbs, your macro count would have been out.... By a lot!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    Why is it that EVERYONE says its not healthy to lose a lot of weight in a month? People that weigh more burn a lot more calories then someone that weighs in there 100's.. Me for instance I am weighing in the 300's right now and I am losing lot more weight and burning more calories for someone in the 100's. So people gotta stop saying its not healthy to lose a lot in a month..

@KristenMarie1181 I completely agree and in fact was just involved in a discussion about that on a separate thread, and a lot of interesting information came out including some different methods of calculating 'safe weight loss' for an individual. It's here if you're interested and/or would like to chip in with your experience.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10157927/question-about-the-how-quick-how-much-to-lose-chart/p1
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

@KristenMarie1181 I completely agree and in fact was just involved in a discussion about that on a separate thread, and a lot of interesting information came out including some different methods of calculating 'safe weight loss' for an individual. It's here if you're interested and/or would like to chip in with your experience.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10157927/question-about-the-how-quick-how-much-to-lose-chart/p1

Actually I posted the scientific study on obese people and rate of weight loss that showed a strong causation between rapid weight loss (>3.3lb per week) and gallstones

It is not healthy to lose at a dramatically high level
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    =

Actually I posted the scientific study on obese people and rate of weight loss that showed a strong causation between rapid weight loss (>3.3lb per week) and gallstones

It is not healthy to lose at a dramatically high level

Didn't know that - thanks! Something else to factor in. That equates to around 14.5lb per month. Had a quick look and apparently it happens in quite high proportions with people that have bariatric surgery.
  • babyhazelz1
    babyhazelz1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps at all but I've been on and off low carb for about a year and it works!

Things I avoid that you may not think of-
    Fruit
    nuts
    beans
    root veggies (potatoes, etc)
    Cheese (when possible. In moderation at least)

I eat a lot of meat and veggies and use Isopure for a protein shale 1-2 times a day. but half the serving it says. 50g protein is too much for 1 sitting.

I walk 5 miles a day but try to keep my heart rate low and in the fat burning zone. And at least 8 cups of water!

Good luck!!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

But beans also have carbohydrates.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There are different physiological changes at different carb intakes, so there are going to be different definitions of "low carb" depending on what the dieter is trying to achieve. And absolutely yes - activity level and type matter!

Here's LM's table, it's a good starting point.

ydl1IPw.png