Birth control and weight gain - myth?

Options
Hello ladies, I'm just curious. I've had a lot of friends who have blamed the method of birth control they were using for their weight gain - usually the bar. I've only ever taken the pill which has never affected my weight much but I'm thinking of switching to the bar.
My doctor says that a lot of women blame their birth control for their weight, but that they're just not accepting responsibility.
Can anyone give me their experience?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I definitely think birth control makes some women hungrier, but from my own experience, it doesn't cause me to gain weight or give me any issues losing it. I don't know a lot about it to be honest, but I doubt birth control has a significant impact - I don't understand how it would make your body gain weight, unless you did start to eat more because it can temporarily increase your appetite.
  • ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The bar is the implant that goes in your arm, right? I've never used it, but I've had friends who used it and all experienced pretty significant weight gain (10 or more pounds). I think that individual sensitivity to hormonal changes is really different, and not all women will experience the same side effects.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Just realised you're talking specifically about the implant. I only know one woman who has used it and kept it in (I know a few people that it caused constant spotting in so they had it removed as soon as they could), and she has actually slowly lost weight over the last year. Very small sample size though, of course.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's seems that hormonal birth control could either affect CI-- making you hungrier and more likely to over-eat, or CO- hormonal changes that could affect metabolism. I'm not an expert at all, but it seems like it could have some impact, depending on the individual. I'm sure it takes the blame for a lot of unrelated things though. ;)
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Lots of women believe this but as far as I am aware no properly conducted clinical trials have ever shown it to be true.
  • Foursthemagicnumber
    Foursthemagicnumber Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had implant in arm taken out friday gained about 7-10 pounds
    ive dropped 3-4 pounds already !!
    I have bled constantly for the whole 8 months eyelashes shortened hair thinned
    So wasnt for me at all
    Dr said hormones caused all this the hormones go after 1-2 weeks so im expecting to loose weight more easily then .

I had the injection gained over 2 stone twice tried it on two seperate times once for about 2 years the other about 9 months 1st time stopped periods 2nd made me bleed nonstopp for last few months

The coil was ok but caused me to gain spots normally my skins great lol but after about 6 months had it out dr advised not for me

The patch only thing that doesnt mess me up lol so im returming to it after i get regular again

So everything is not for everyone but i regret having it but least i tried it
    Blummin hormones lol
  • RayneScar
    RayneScar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It really sucks being a woman sometimes hahaha!
    I wanted to get the coil but the doctor won't let me. She said first of all that it would be harder since I'd never had kids - fair enough. Then she said that the coil may affect my fertility long-term so she couldn't give it to me.
    The problem is, I don't want to have kids. I have never wanted to have children. I explained this and she said I may change my mind.
    I don't know why doctors can't accept that some women are simply not maternal. The reason I want birth control is so I don't get pregnant. In my case, that's a permanent decision.
    Thanks for your input guys, it's interesting. I think the hormonal changes may cause the weight gain.
  • redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've had an IUD (Mirena) for 6 years now (took out the first after five years and immediately replaced it) with no issues whatsoever. I actually started my initial weight loss journey shortly after the first one was implanted and the weight came off easily. I never noticed any changes as far as appetite and I've also lost more weight since then. For me, I don't think it's made a difference.
  • mrihel6615
    mrihel6615 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I went on the birth control pill at 16 due to endometriosis...
    And I weighed maybe 98 pounds soaking wet back then.
    Within the next 6 months I gained about 10 pounds. Over the course of the next couple of years I struggled to keep my weight the same.
    Then the winter after I graduated I was switched to a different pill that affected my body horribly, I was depressed, hungry, and tired all the time. Over the next 6 months I gained another 20 or so pounds.
    I don't believe it was only the birth control that caused my weight gain, but I do believe that it probably aided in my weight gain.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It is still going to be down to CICO - I'd guess hormonal birth control has the potential to impact both sides of the equation - in that you crave food more and can feel inclined to move less if your side effects include increased cramping or joint pain.
    Both in/out are ultimately under your control, though.

You mentioned the coil - I now have the copper coil and have not had children. My doctor explained it used to be the case it was only recommended for women who had already had children, but the new model is easier to fit and so the advice has recently changed.
    Might be worth getting a second opinion on the coil if it's something you think would work for you.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    The reality is (or the reality as based on poorly conducted studies) that there is a correlation between certain forms of BC and weight gain. However, the caveat here to look for is this; the weight gain, if due to hormonal changes, should actually stop within the first month of the 'new' hormonal balancing. And what we eat, has a hell of a lot more to do with weight gain than either hormones or BC.

If you switch (to any new medication really) watch your calories carefully and you should not see weight gain (beyond water weight, which again, would leave within that first month).

I have friends who have made the BC adding weight claim many a time, but the reality is, we all started taking BC at a time where our bodies were in big fluctuation based on puberty. I put on about 15lbs the year I went on BC (I was 13 and had some significant issues with cysts) that was however also the year that my boobs went from a A cup to a D and my hips began to fill out, so chances are, even without BC, I would've put on that 15lbs. I switched briefly to NuvoRing (sp?) in University which created some interesting bedroom issues, but no weight gain. Switched from that to taking pills consecutively in three month periods (medically advised, again because of the cysts) and gained maybe 3lbs? I also redeveloped a love for McDonalds that month, so I'm more blaming that on my own poor food choices.

So the reality, is it a factor? Sure. Is it one completely out of your control? (With the exception of a bit of water weight initially) No.

I think for me it comes down to this; if you get new BC and suddenly you're a lot hungrier than usual, but you know your TDEE is typically a certain number, continue to eat at a deficit, and magically, you will lose weight. If you're hungry so you add an extra 500 cals per day and don't notice, and your TDEE is only 400 cals higher than what you're eating, of course you're going to see weight gain over time.

Make good choices, my BC switching friends.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I have nexplanon. I was worried about the weight gain that I kept seeing posted about it. But if you actually read the info (small print) some women gained 5 pounds over the 3 years. They could have easily gained that without the implant. I have not gained weight but I am watching my intake and working out.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    RayneScar wrote: »
    I wanted to get the coil but the doctor won't let me. She said first of all that it would be harder since I'd never had kids - fair enough. Then she said that the coil may affect my fertility long-term so she couldn't give it to me.
    The problem is, I don't want to have kids. I have never wanted to have children. I explained this and she said I may change my mind.
    I don't know why doctors can't accept that some women are simply not maternal. The reason I want birth control is so I don't get pregnant. In my case, that's a permanent decision.
    Thanks for your input guys, it's interesting. I think the hormonal changes may cause the weight gain.

Just to add, I do think it's unreasonable that your doctor is overruling your wishes on the presumption that you may later change your mind about children - especially given that the coil is not an extreme or permanent solution.

The most recent studies seem to suggest that correct use of IUDs doesn't have an impact on fertility. I say 'correct' because there is a risk that if you get an infection (which usually occurs within 2-3 weeks of insertion and impacts under 1 in 100 women) then this might cause damage if untreated - but that's why they now do post-insertion check-ups to prevent this.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about implanon, but I have the feeling that my pill is actually reducing water retention. My weight variation from day to day is very minimal, within the 250 grams range unless I take a break from the pill. Then water weight goes up, and down again once I take the pill again.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have three sisters, all of whom were on birth control at some point. Of the three only one didn't gain weight (at the time she was very strict with her diet, though). The other two gained a substantial amount of weight primarily because it increased their appetite. My younger sister gained over 20 lbs in a few months the first time she started taking them because of that. The weight fell right off when she stopped.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    RayneScar wrote: »

I feel ya! I have zero intention of birthing children (I might adopt, though) either but apparently to some people that's an unheard of concept. If I had a quarter for everytime I've heard someone say "Oh don't worry hun, you'll change your mind when you get older," I'd be a rich woman. I've never had an interest in the coil, but in a few years I think I might consider tubal ligation. It would be really nice to never have to worry about becoming pregnant, ever.

• luckyinluce
    luckyinluce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I got the depo shot I gained like 40 lbs in just a few months, plus I turned into a crazy person. My moods were all over the place, it was scary not feeling like myself, just horrible. I did two rounds of it then stopped and went back to pills, and everything went back to normal.
  • postpartumprogress
    postpartumprogress Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was going to be getting my tubes tied this month before my insurance got screwed up. Just a few weeks ago, I settled for Nexplanon to use in the meantime. Its been really hard for my body to adjust in some ways. It makes me queasy, and moody, but I'm confident my body will adjust in a few months time. I have heard that this type of birth control is somewhat like the depo shot, and I've heard a lot of women literally blow up in a few months on that. My mom did. So far, though, I've lost weight consistently...about 5 pounds in the past few weeks, even with my period coming. When I had Mirena instead, I gained weight, but I think it was actually from Paxil. Once I stopped taking Paxil I lost the excess weight (although it was harder with Mirena). So yeah, I mean, if Paxil could make me gain 15 pounds in a few months, I'm sure birth control could do the same thing. It didn't come out of nowhere though. My appetite increased, so I ate more. It didn't sneak up on me!
  • clongo04
    clongo04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard from doctors and friends is that the increase in hormones that prevent you from being pregnant also sometimes causes you to gain/lose weight. When I first went on the pill, I lost weight. But when my insurance got messed up and went off of it for a couple months and back on it but a different brand, I gained weight. I just went off of them, and I can already tell I am losing weight again.
  • melissaRmennone
    melissaRmennone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was scared to go on birth control in fear of gaining weight. I talked to my gyno about it and she said that BC has a bad rep because most girls go on it around the time there hips start to widen and they get into a more woman body. Which I find true. I've been on birth control for over a year and I find it does not make me more hungry at all.