More protein needed

Options
2»

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Throw some protein powder in oatmeal, make a shake, omellete scrambled eggs. Quest bar or pure protein bar. If you want to feel full longer use casein protein powder.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Why don't you cook 6-7 eggs on a sunday, or in the evening while you're cooking anyways? They make for great snacks to go, put in salads, on sandwiches etc. This is what we do at home, and works perfectly.

Tuna is lovely, you can 'hide' it in pasta sauce. What about shrimps or (home made) fish sticks? Chicken can also be prepared in many ways. Beef is actually high protein as well, you can make/serve sausages. Also lamb.

Cottage cheese or low-fat greek yoghurt like was mentioned. Low fat cheese strings are great as well
  • PACO1481
    PACO1481 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started high protein diet so here is what I've been doing.
    -boil 6-8 eggs, take 1-2 to work for BF Or snack
    - Starkist Tuna Sensation pouches for snack ( ranch, lemon pepper, etc)
    - Low fat cottage cheese as topper on baked potatoe ( trust me it's good!)
    - Double serving size on meats, and have several kinds throughout the week (steak, chicken, tilapia, salmon, veggie burgers)
    - Protein bars for breakfast and/or snacks (meter prime or pure protein cuz have 20 G protein)

Hope this helps!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Even if this took 20 minutes you are worth the time. Good eating isn't simple. Hell, the most time I spend is keeping the dishes clean, the cooking is the easy part.

this needs to be said. the dishes... the struggle is real. seriously- I HATE doing dishes- and I have no dishwasher- so I do it all by hand. GRUMBLE GRUMBLE. the struggle is real to keep ahead of the flow!
  • jeanholly
    jeanholly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you are o.k. with beef, occasionally make a meat loaf. I was surprised by the high protein count.
  • PACO1481
    PACO1481 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I spend a few hours on Sat or Sun and big batch cook so I can freeze individual portions. Chicken breasts/tenders, steaks, lean burgers, baked tilapia/salmon, ground turkey chili, meatloaf, etc will all freeze well. Then I just grab and go for lunch. Take canned/fresh/frz veggies to go with it and microwave at lunch. :)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    According to the RDA, you need no more than 50 grams of protein per day!!!
  • ItsABreeThing
    ItsABreeThing Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ive derived the information below from McDougall's book, The Starch Solution below. He extensively cites his claim throughout the novel. Protein:
    When we keep eating protein after our daily requirement, our bodies seek to expel it using our liver and kidneys. A diet high in animal protein, on average, makes our kidneys loose a quarter of its function over a 70 year period. Excess damage is sped up in those with compromised liver and kidneys, eventually leading to organ failure. Excess protein also harms the bones by increasing the amount of calcium excreted by our bones as a way to neutralize the body from sulfur-containing amino acids. Risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones increases.
    An Atkins-type diet may have 200-400 g of protein per day. The typical Western diet 100-160g. How much do we actually need? The USDA/WHO recommends 33-71g/day. McDougall recommends 30-80g/day. However, he even cites a recommendation of 20-30g/day, which people can easily thrive on, and have. A plant-based diet provides plenty of the 8 essential amino acids our body needs and more.