weightlifting and weightloss

Options
Hi im daniel, about 2 ago I was 5'8" and one day I weighed myself and I was nearly 14 stone. I was pure fat, so I decided time for change so I went off all junk food for six months and lost over two stone. Then a few friends introduced me to weightlifting and I bought some weights off my friend, I had no knowledge of nutrition and thought I just lift weights and eat. Did not have a clue what a bulk or cut was so ate loads and loads of carbs and barely any protein. Ive been lifting weights on and off for the past year and put up a fair bit of weight and muscle, by the time I realised about nutrition it was too late, I now have a belly again. So this will be my journey to lose it. I also have an instagram page " fattofitwithdaniel " ,,thanks for taking the time to read this, any tips or help will be appreciated

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would focus on the weight loss first. Not saying don't lift but it is difficult to eat for muscle mass and reduce calories at the same time. just lift for general fitness now and maybe add some cardio work until the fat is reduced. Good luck!
  • danieloreilly1359
    danieloreilly1359 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks, not lifting for mass, just to keep whatever muscle I have. Domt about getting bigger atm, just want to shed some fat, I jog like 3 miles a day , 5,days a week and hit the heavy bag for 1 hour 5,days a week
  • AllanStott
    AllanStott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. I lift 3 times a week but want to lose the belly. I'm not overweight and have a decent build, I just want to reduce my bf about five or ten percent.

I don't want to bulk and get fat, or cut and lose muscle. I've been reading about lean bulk but it seems to be all maths, trial and error or macronutrients from what I can gather.

MFP says I need to consume about 1750 cals daily to lose weight but on the other hand you need excess cals to build muscle.
  • danieloreilly1359
    Options
    AllanStott wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat. I lift 3 times a week but want to lose the belly. I'm not overweight and have a decent build, I just want to reduce my bf about five or ten percent.

I don't want to bulk and get fat, or cut and lose muscle. I've been reading about lean bulk but it seems to be all maths, trial and error or macronutrients from what I can gather.

MFP says I need to consume about 1750 cals daily to lose weight but on the other hand you need excess cals to build muscle.
    Next time I bulk im doing a clean one, im focusing on losing fat and dont really mind about losing muscle, just want to be leaner then ill do a clean bulk after a while.
  • hardcorex
    hardcorex Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Losing 5-10% BF is a pretty serious goal. You have excess calories in the form of stored fat. Ideally, you want to tap into those stored reserves and burn them as calories that your body needs to facilitate muscle growth. The whole fitness thing is a game of trial and error and it often takes years for people to find what works best for them. Modify your diet to conform to what your fitness goal is and fine tune it over your fitness journey as you see fit.

As to the OP - good luck on your goals. Your cardio is pretty intense and if your diet is on track, you will soon see the fruits of your labor. 70% diet, 30% workout.
  • danieloreilly1359
    Options
    hardcorex wrote: »

Losing 5-10% BF is a pretty serious goal. You have excess calories in the form of stored fat. Ideally, you want to tap into those stored reserves and burn them as calories that your body needs to facilitate muscle growth. The whole fitness thing is a game of trial and error and it often takes years for people to find what works best for them. Modify your diet to conform to what your fitness goal is and fine tune it over your fitness journey as you see fit.

As to the OP - good luck on your goals. Your cardio is pretty intense and if your diet is on track, you will soon see the fruits of your labor. 70% diet, 30% workout.
    Thanks man, appreciate the help