Sugar Cleanse- Help!

Options
Hello!

I recently read a study about being addicted to sugar: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0000698 and I have known for weeks my sugar intake is out of control. For two months I visited a developing country where sugar was in EVERYthing- you couldn't avoid it. Now that I have returned stateside, my typically healthy diet has gone haywire. I am really struggling to quit the sugar. For example, I used to ALWAYS drink my coffee black, now I opt for sweetened almond milk.

I plan to do South Beach Phase 1 for two weeks as a sugar cleanse, but I am scared. I already am having cravings and its only 10AM! Any advice/recommendations for sugar cleansing?

PS. I am a lactose-free vegetarian: so low-carb is a challenge!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz. Sugar detox.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Seriously? There is no need to do any type of cleanse. Your body is efficient at cleansing itself all on its own.
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat less sugar just put less in your mouth. Sorted.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Seriously? There is no need to do any type of cleanse. Your body is efficient at cleansing itself all on its own.
    punkuate wrote: »
    If you want to eat less sugar just put less in your mouth. Sorted.

Yep.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Lolz. Sugar detox.

I would agree.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Sugar addiction isn't real, compulsive eating is.

I might make that a bumper sticker, since a new thread about this same crap comes up every day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My advice on a sugar "cleanse " is it doesn't exist.

I'm going with OP meaning sugar as in added sugar and desserts and that sort, not all sugar because you'd pretty much starve to death since there's sugar in most of the food.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Granulated sugar is great in some body scrubs...

As far as a detox? Nope, doesn't exist.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Rat study findings for humans when it comes to stuff like this are at best, considered preliminary.

You remember all the scare about aspartame? Yeah, rodents react differently than humans do to it, as it turns out.

So the whole idea of addiction and sugar?

Step away from that. There are more recent studies and papers stating that addiction to sugar hasn't been proven.

That's the first step in getting over it. Realize that you're the boss, not sugar.

If you don't want to eat sugar, just don't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Addiction isn't the same a enjoying hyperpalatable foods. You body needs glucose/glycogen to function. It doesn't however need it in excessive amounts.
    You don't have to "quit" sugar. Just reduce the amount you consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    every one likes sweet things. just don't eat it anymore or reduce the amount. i have to admit, the cravings were pretty bad at first because it was the habit of eating it daily that was the issue, not an actual addition. one that habit was broken (takes about 1 week or so), i was fine.
  • 1000colours
    1000colours Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    According to quite a few studies, sugar can be just as addictive as cocain as they stimulate the same area of the brain. As someone who's also suffered from sugar addiction, you just have to get it out of the house and have to say no every single time. Just constantly have the willpower to say no. Of course you need a little bit of sugar in your diet so opt for fruit instead of refined sugars.
    Hope you kick your addiction, good luck!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    According to quite a few studies, sugar can be just as addictive as cocain as they stimulate the same area of the brain. As someone who's also suffered from sugar addiction, you just have to get it out of the house and have to say no every single time. Just constantly have the willpower to say no. Of course you need a little bit of sugar in your diet so opt for fruit instead of refined sugars.
    Hope you kick your addiction, good luck!

Can you post said studies?
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Addiction isn't the same a enjoying hyperpalatable foods. You body needs glucose/glycogen to function. It doesn't however need it in excessive amounts.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The PT and nutritionist is correct. Sugar is in fruit - my take on it is don't eat any added sugars from processed sources - substitute fruit for anything you would crave (like candy) and that will help you get through the "DTs" of sugar cravings.

Elimination is key - eliminate processed foods and get down to the whole foods level - then build back up - only through the process of elimination will you find which foods are really causing the issue.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    So this.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    For the second time today, I highly recommend the Haribo Sugarless Gummy Bear Detox/Cleanse. Affordable and delicious. And you'll never crave sweets again.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The PT and nutritionist is correct. Sugar is in fruit - my take on it is don't eat any added sugars from processed sources - substitute fruit for anything you would crave (like candy) and that will help you get through the "DTs" of sugar cravings.

Elimination is key - eliminate processed foods and get down to the whole foods level - then build back up - only through the process of elimination will you find which foods are really causing the issue.

What's the difference between the sugar in fruit and the sugar in processed foods? What if the fruit is canned? That makes it processed, right?

Also, for many people, substituting a craving with something not even remotely similar doesn't actually soothe that craving. Why not just eat smaller portions?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    For the second time today, I highly recommend the Haribo Sugarless Gummy Bear Detox/Cleanse. Affordable and delicious. And you'll never crave sweets again.

tumblr_mgjrymMXza1qeafupo1_500.gif

:D
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

tumblr_mgjrymMXza1qeafupo1_500.gif

:D

Lmao, they're super good for 'cleansing' your body of dangerous toxins!!!