How to do a strength training routine when working shifts?

debrag12
debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
So I work 12.5 hr shifts 3 to 4 days a week and some weeks do agency work on top. So for example my work schedule for June is as follows:

wk starting 1st - 4th to 7th = free
wk starting 8th - 8th + 11th + 12th + 14th = working
wk starting 15th - 17th + 18th + 21st = working
wk starting 22nd - 24th + 26th + 27th = working

June is quite a nice month actually.

How can I work out a routine (pref sl 5x5) where the workout days change each week?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    My husband does 4 days on, 4 days off...2 days 2 nights...

He fits it in.

Weight lifting doesn't take a long time so you fit it in when you can ensuring you have rest days.

For example when I was lifting with my husband we would lift after his 2 day shifts...take 3 days off, lift on his 2nd and 3rd day off and take a day off repeat.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    You list 10 working days there. You can absolutely fit a lifting schedule in. They don't have to be the same day every week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I would have two days of weight training in a row plus one day set apart each week. Like so:

4th, 5th, 7th
    9th, 10th, 13th
    15th, 16th, 19th
    22nd, 23rd, 25th

I know that the general rule is to have a rest day between training but, in my experience, I can handle two days in a row if the third is a rest day. I don't do SL5x5 though so YMMV.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    It doesn't matter that the days during the week change. I have to change days often, the key is to create your plan week by week. You can plan total body when you have work days in between if you.

As long as you do it and create a schedule you can do it.
  • debrag12
    but I shouldn't train two days in a row right?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    debrag12 wrote: »

For full body it's not ideal, especially when everything gets heavier. You may do better with a split, but that's up to you and your schedule.
  • jemhh
    You're going to have to work that out for yourself. It is an oft-repeated mantra but I have found that I am fine with 2 days in a row. I have also read a fair bit about women being able to train more often than men.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Ideally no, but you can do it.
    I'm doing stronglifts right now (Sun/Tues/Thurs) and I had a very busy Sunday and ended up missing my workout. So I made up for it by working out Monday and Tuesday so now I'm back on track.
  • debrag12
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    You list 10 working days there. You can absolutely fit a lifting schedule in. They don't have to be the same day every week.

The first week I am on annual leave :)
  • debrag12
    thanks guys
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I work 4 on 4 off. When I was following the Starting Strength program, I lifted Monday, Wednesday and Friday whether I was off or not. If I worked a day shift, I would get up an hour early and workout before work. If I did nights, I would do the same. I would sleep about 6 hours, get up, then do my workout and then go to work. On days off I would get my 8 hours of sleep, then go to the gym.
  • debrag12
    dave4d wrote: »
    I work 4 on 4 off. When I was following the Starting Strength program, I lifted Monday, Wednesday and Friday whether I was off or not. If I worked a day shift, I would get up an hour early and workout before work. If I did nights, I would do the same. I would sleep about 6 hours, get up, then do my workout and then go to work. On days off I would get my 8 hours of sleep, then go to the gym.

wow I couldn't do a gym section before or after a 12.5 hr shift.
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Working out anything whenever you can is better than not working out anything at all
  • debrag12
    I can burn up to 3000 calories on work days so it's not like I'm sat down all day
  • jemhh
    I was thinking about this. One other option would be to do an upper/lower split on the first two days I mentioned earlier and then full body on the third day. I'm not sure how that would fit with SL but it would be an option that would keep you from doing full body two days in a row.