is eating 1900 cal a day and burning 1000 in the gym healthy

Options
Is eating 1900 cal a day and burning 1000 in the gym healthy

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you're truly burning 1000 calories (which I'd doubt) them you should eat more to try to net your minimum 1200 for a woman, 1600 for a man

That's a big gym burn and would take me around 3 hours at a constant high intensity

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If you're truly burning 1000 calories (which I'd doubt) them you should eat more to try to net your minimum 1200 for a woman, 1600 for a man

That's a big gym burn and would take me around 3 hours at a constant high intensity

This.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,858 Member
    Options
    As a gal, netting 900 long term is probably not a great idea.
    As a guy, netting 900 is probably not a great idea even more.
    And if you're not a morbidly obese guy or gal, it is an even worse idea.
    Note that it takes about 2 hours of marginally vigorous exercise for a 200lb male to burn 1000 NET Cal exercising...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This.

Yep
  • missbutterfly92
    missbutterfly92 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do not see how you are able to burn 1000 calories unless you are doing a HIIT constantly for approx 2-3 hours. You need to eat back your calories to ensure you are getting the right nutrition and food intake. I do not even burn over 200 calories and I am still losing weight with healthy eating. As long as you do high intensity workout for 45-1hour then that should be enough. Don't overwork yourself. :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Word of caution, if you are using MFP to log your exercise calories and reckon you are burning 1000 at the gym (because i'm not sure if yours is a hypothetical question or whether that is the routine you are following at the moment) then be aware that MFP exercise calories are, on the whole, waaaaaaaay off. MFP very much overestimates exercise calories burned; most people tend to half whatever MFP says they have burned as a general rule of thumb.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    He actually could be burning 1000 cals.
    I remember when i used to do a Step Class, then an hour in the Gym (Treadmill Run & Rowing Machine) and burn around 700 cals.
    I'm a female, only 5,4 and was a light 128 lbs at the time - so it is possible.
    But please enlighten us OP....what exercise are you actually doing?
    Plus, if you are really burning 1000 cals - you should be eating a lot more than 1900!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If the calorie burn charts are anywhere close to right (presumably, they are or researchers would be trying to correct them) burning 1000 calories isn't that difficult. However, whatever a person burns, they should try to keep their calorie deficit between 500 to 1000.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options

^^ this, re: net cals.

also - you are likely over-estimating your caloric burn at the gym. even when i do a 1.5hr hard muay thai session doesn't burn that much and i'm in my top zone/heart rate for the majority of the session. when i did insanity, the hardest workout burned just over 800 cals tops, so i hardly doubt an actual gym workout would truly burn 1000cals. do you wear an HRM with a chest strap?

• segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's healthy or not but I dropped 100 lbs over about 7 months burning about 1000-2000 calories a day on a 1700-2300 calorie diet and I'm still alive and kicking here.

Most folks will eat if they aren't getting enough calories or at the very least feel pretty darn bad. If in doubt, chat with a doctor.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to make you think you are burning 1000 calories at the gym?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Giving you the benefit of the doubt on your numbers ...

1900 consumed - 1000 exercise burn = 900 calories. From that 900 calories we must now subtract your resting metabolic rate which is going to put you at negative net calories for the day. If that is in fact what you are doing, it is unhealthy.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    First make sure you actually are. Machines and MFP aren't incredibly accurate. If you actually are you could probably eat back 25% and see if you are still losing. If so up it a bit or keep it there.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

+1 billion

What exactly are you doing to burn 1000 calories daily? That's... alot of exercise. I'd expect to burn out quickly at that rate.

But either way, theoretically and mathematically, yes it's unhealthy.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If the calorie burn charts are anywhere close to right (presumably, they are or researchers would be trying to correct them) burning 1000 calories isn't that difficult. However, whatever a person burns, they should try to keep their calorie deficit between 500 to 1000.

You have a most optimistic view of the "researchers" (and the "calorie burn charts").
  • toniantono2592
    toniantono2592 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why 1000 calories burn in gym seems so strange to all of you?
    I burn 1000-1500 calories per day in cycling according my polar rc3
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

It's not strange. It just takes a long time to achieve it. Most people don't have that kind of time to spend working out.

For example, I'm 5'2 and 20 lbs over weight. It takes me over 3 hours of low grade hiking to hit 900 calories burned, and that's on a good day.

The average person doesn't have 3 hours to dedicate to exercise... every single day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

How far are you cycling? Actual cycling or a spin class?
  • lauraweres
    lauraweres Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl 5ft 3 , weighing 8st 10lb if I ran on the treadmill at 10.5mph for 1 hour my burn is around 650cals .. so actually it is possible , but you would be very tired burning that much , but then if I was a 6ft heavy guy running 1 hour that would be about right the more you weigh the more your body burns! But eating back all the calories you burn wouldn't make you lose weight , you might stay the same weight but become much fitter in yourself , however burn yourself out !