Sugar Cleanse- Help!

Options

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I believe sugar addiction is real -- at least it is for ME. The withdrawal from it is real -- for ME. And sounds like it is the same for you. However, I do agree that you do not need any sort of "cleanse." Nor would I advocate South Beach or trying to eliminate ALL sugar from your diet. Cannot be done in a healthy way, because, as others have pointed out, natural sugars occur everywhere. Instead, focus on eliminating ADDED sugars as much as possible. Read labels and choose foods with the fewest sugar grams (usually indicates added sugars). Eat fruit (not too much! 1-3 pieces a day) to help satisfy your sugar cravings. Also, what sometimes helps is a small handful of almonds, but only once a day as they are high calorie. Don't know why they reduce sugar cravings but they usually work for me. Also, try allowing yourself 1oz of plain dark chocolate (65% cacao or more) once a day. Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and it may help you "wean" yourself off added sugars while giving your body a bit to help with the cravings and withdrawals. Has worked for me. Good luck!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    According to quite a few studies, sugar can be just as addictive as cocain as they stimulate the same area of the brain. As someone who's also suffered from sugar addiction, you just have to get it out of the house and have to say no every single time. Just constantly have the willpower to say no. Of course you need a little bit of sugar in your diet so opt for fruit instead of refined sugars.
    Hope you kick your addiction, good luck!

And eating chocolate stimulates the same area of the brain as sex, but I can assure you they have quite different drives to them.

Just because two things light up the same areas of the brain DOSENT mean that they are reacting the same, it just means they are reacting *in the same place*.

Furthermore, sugar is actually pretty neccessiary to the body. We run primarily off of glucose, though we don't always need as much as we take in ;)

Even so, if a law passed tomorrow outlawing all added sugar, I'm pretty sure withdrawal symptoms would not be those of a cocaine addict leaving the stuff.

As for the OP, if you feel addicted to sugar, you are probably really "addicted
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I believe sugar addiction is real -- at least it is for ME. The withdrawal from it is real -- for ME. And sounds like it is the same for you. However, I do agree that you do not need any sort of "cleanse." Nor would I advocate South Beach or trying to eliminate ALL sugar from your diet. Cannot be done in a healthy way, because, as others have pointed out, natural sugars occur everywhere. Instead, focus on eliminating ADDED sugars as much as possible. Read labels and choose foods with the fewest sugar grams (usually indicates added sugars). Eat fruit (not too much! 1-3 pieces a day) to help satisfy your sugar cravings. Also, what sometimes helps is a small handful of almonds, but only once a day as they are high calorie. Don't know why they reduce sugar cravings but they usually work for me. Also, try allowing yourself 1oz of plain dark chocolate (65% cacao or more) once a day. Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and it may help you "wean" yourself off added sugars while giving your body a bit to help with the cravings and withdrawals. Has worked for me. Good luck!

If you are seriously experiencing detox and whatnot from sugar, I would suggest you seek out medical attention to deal with the addiction, and perhaps rehab would be a proper course.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    For the second time today, I highly recommend the Haribo Sugarless Gummy Bear Detox/Cleanse. Affordable and delicious. And you'll never crave sweets again.

tumblr_mgjrymMXza1qeafupo1_500.gif

:D

Lmao, they're super good for 'cleansing' your body of dangerous toxins!!!

Some participants claim to have lost up to a lb an hour on this cleanse. Bonus!
  • whmscll
    Options
    Medical rehab for sugar? Hahahahahaha. Does not exist.
  • ItsABreeThing
    ItsABreeThing Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sugar is obtained naturally through carbohydrates. Our cells convert the sugar glucose into energy. Not protein, not fat.. Sugar into energy. Artificial and processed sugars should be restricted in a diet, but please don't imply that you wont eat foods like fruit anymore because of their sugar content!
    Of course if youre diabetic, sugar intake should be under supervision, but if not our bodies are efficient at regulating any excess.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    People with so-called "sugar addiction" really ought to spend some time on a detox unit. For drug and alcohol addicts.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Medical rehab for sugar? Hahahahahaha. Does not exist.

Why not if it's such an addiction, if it's such a problem? Why wouldn't it be treated the same way other addiction and withdrawals would be treated?

Seems as if there might be...

http://www.rehabs.com/addicted-to-sugar-theres-a-rehab-for-that/

Malibu Vista...a rehab for women and addictions...covers sugar addiction.

Idk...

• whmscll
    Options
    Why are you criticizing what others post instead of trying to be helpful to the original poster? If you don't have something constructive to add to the conversation please do not post.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: there's a difference between an addiction and a dependence. It's entirely possible to be addicted to a type of sugar delivery without being physically dependent on it. Addiction is a pattern of behavior, dependence is a chemical reaction in the brain.

But good news! Addictions are easier to break than dependence.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/frequently-asked-questions/there-difference-between-physical-dependence
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Lolz. Sugar detox.

It's two of the most ridiculous things spouted on here (the fear of sugar and the whole 'detox' thing), combined into one ball of hilarity.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options

The PT and nutritionist is correct. Sugar is in fruit - my take on it is don't eat any added sugars from processed sources - substitute fruit for anything you would crave (like candy) and that will help you get through the "DTs" of sugar cravings.

HAH, "DTs" of sugar cravings. Nice analogy ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    According to quite a few studies, sugar can be just as addictive as cocain as they stimulate the same area of the brain. As someone who's also suffered from sugar addiction, you just have to get it out of the house and have to say no every single time. Just constantly have the willpower to say no. Of course you need a little bit of sugar in your diet so opt for fruit instead of refined sugars.

The same area of the brain would be the one activated from being in love and petting puppies. It's the one that gets actiated when you like something.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Addiction isn't the same a enjoying hyperpalatable foods. You body needs glucose/glycogen to function. It doesn't however need it in excessive amounts.
    You don't have to "quit" sugar. Just reduce the amount you consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The PT and nutritionist is correct. Sugar is in fruit - my take on it is don't eat any added sugars from processed sources - substitute fruit for anything you would crave (like candy) and that will help you get through the "DTs" of sugar cravings.

Elimination is key - eliminate processed foods and get down to the whole foods level - then build back up - only through the process of elimination will you find which foods are really causing the issue.

No it's not key. Some people do well with elimination, others don't at all.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Why are you criticizing what others post instead of trying to be helpful to the original poster? If you don't have something constructive to add to the conversation please do not post.

Who are you replying to?

You're not the forum police, so you don't get to dictate who posts what or even if they get to post at all. ;)

• stevencloser
    Options
    Sugar is obtained naturally through carbohydrates. Our cells convert the sugar glucose into energy. Not protein, not fat.. Sugar into energy. Artificial and processed sugars should be restricted in a diet, but please don't imply that you wont eat foods like fruit anymore because of their sugar content!
    Of course if youre diabetic, sugar intake should be under supervision, but if not our bodies are efficient at regulating any excess.

Our body turns protein and fat into energy too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Which studies?