Does green tea make you sick??

Options
I just found some of you that find that consuming green tea makes you as 'green' as the tea!

Me too...However, I still want the antioxidants.

So, I now grind up loose green tea into a powder (matcha I guess) and sprinkle over foods/baking, etc., I probably get more of the benefits from keeping it 'raw' instead of steeping in near boiling water anyways.

Replies

• MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It upsets my stomach a little. Sometimes if I'm at my calorie limit after lunch and still hungry, I drink a cup because it upsets my stomach just enough to keep me from eating till dinner, but not enough to interfere with my day. I had a friend who said that the teabags made her sick but the loose tea steeped in hot water didn't. I haven't tried that.
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Grinding up loose tea into a powder is not the same thing as matcha. Matcha comes from a special variety of green tea, which then has the stems and veins removed before it is ground. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matcha#Production

If it makes your stomach upset, it might be old and/or too high in caffeine for you. Also, green tea (before it is steeped) is in no way "raw". http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Teaprocessing.svg/1024px-Teaprocessing.svg.png

Thanks for your knowledge
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If you are getting sick from drinking green tea, then you probably should not drink it. Maybe you should get the antioxidants from other sources?
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are getting sick from drinking green tea, then you probably should not drink it. Maybe you should get the antioxidants from other sources?

Yes, of course! That's exactly what I ended up doing. But then I had all this rather expensive container of green tea and thought I'd grind it up and add to foods instead. No tummy upsets doing this, and I'm rather fond of the 'grassy' flavor now - wasn't sure at first though:)
    Thanks!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Green tea first thing in the morning makes me super nauseous, but I'm fine with it later in the day.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When do you usually drink green tea? Getting an upset stomach from tea (both green and black) is not uncommon. Tea contains tannins, and that is what can cause upset stomach. For me, it only upsets my tummy if I drink it on an empty stomach. Perhaps you are the same way.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    See, I just can't imagine forcing myself to eat or drink something that upset my stomach (which could mean a sensitivity to it) or that I didn't care for the taste of. Expensive or not, it would go to a friend or in the trash. To each his or her own, though--and the point about drinking it on an empty stomach is a good one.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Green tea first thing in the morning makes me super nauseous, but I'm fine with it later in the day.

This for me too^

Most of the antioxidants found in green tea can also be found in other herbal teas, the health stores are usually pretty good at finding one to fit what your looking for. maybe find one that tastes nice and doesn't leave you nauseous after used up the green?

• kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've never felt sick after drinking it, but it does make my throat feel horrible, it gets all scratchy and feels like there's a lump in it. I think after I've finished this pack I might give it a break and try something else.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    NaurielR wrote: »
    When do you usually drink green tea? Getting an upset stomach from tea (both green and black) is not uncommon. Tea contains tannins, and that is what can cause upset stomach. For me, it only upsets my tummy if I drink it on an empty stomach. Perhaps you are the same way.

^
    This... i find i am less tolerant of tannins the older I get. I need to have a meal in me now to tolerate any type of black or green teas. If you want a nice antioxidant/caffeine boost without the nausea you can try yerba mate or guayusa tea. White teas are lighter and have less tannins in them too

• khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow... I am surprised to find so many of you that feel sick after green tea. I wonder what causes that? Having green tea actually calms my stomach down. And when I'm feeling achy (like at the beginning of a cold), it makes me feel better then too.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have gotten nausious from green tea but this usually means that I've steeped it too long. You really should never steep it longer than 2 minutes. Many varieties I order directly from Japan can be steeped 3 times with the 1st being less than a minute, then a shorter 30 second steep with a final long steep up to 3 minutes. This also of course keeps it from getting bitter. Try steeping for only a minute even if the package says longer.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    khearron26 wrote: »
    Wow... I am surprised to find so many of you that feel sick after green tea. I wonder what causes that? Having green tea actually calms my stomach down. And when I'm feeling achy (like at the beginning of a cold), it makes me feel better then too.

^This. I actually drink green tea when my stomach's upset for this same reason.

Could it be the brand? My sister hates the green tea they serve at our local Japanese restaurant because it always makes her stomach hurt and has her running to the bathroom but she's totally fine with the brand we have at home (even though she doesn't like the taste).

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    It's fairly common for green tea to make people queasy. Most people find that they are okay if they don't drink it on an empty stomach....it's the green tea and empty stomach combination that makes them feel queasy. Drinking it with food or after a meal usually eliminates that issue. :)

Also, make sure you're not steeping it too long. Green tea should only be steeped for 2-3 minutes MAX, or else it turns bitter (and the longer it steeps, the more bitter it gets). If you're used to drinking black or red tea that is steeped for 5-6 minutes, it's not uncommon to just steep green tea for the same amount of time (which is why some people think green tea tastes nasty - they're just steeping it WAY too long!).
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Certain types of teas make me sick. It's not specifically green tea or black tea, etc....I actually think it's something in cheap tea. It started about 5 years ago...if I drink hot tea like lipton I generally start vomiting an hour or so later. It's strange.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Liquid lawn clippings. No thank you.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Am I wrong, or don't Green Tea supplements exist? Would that have similar benefits to drinking green tea?

Certain varieties of black tea have made me toss my cookies in the past, but I've worked around those and found ones that didn't.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    wait wut
  • EsqDreams
    EsqDreams Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anything after my third cup gives me stomach pains!