Excercising Before or after you eat.

Options
2»

Replies

• Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Before & after....

BEFORE - You need something in your body to fuel your workout - CARBS - an apple is a great choice, or a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter. Not to much to make you sluggish. Not eating prior will slow you down & you won't work out to your full potential - you may also find yourself getting dizzy during your workout if you don't eat.

AFTER - you need something to help repair your muscles - PROTIEN - a glass of lowfat milk is a great choice if your not going to have a meal with in an hour or two.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It depends what time I am exercising. I try to run in the morning before I eat, but I do evening circuits classes so obviously I have to eat at some point during the day before them. On those days I don't eat after 4pm. Exercising on a full stomach makes me vom.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    So much conflicting info out there. :huh:

Amen! Personally, I can't work out in the morning. So I work out at night after work. If I got it in my head that you had to do it first thing, that would be it for me-I just can't.

The only thing I find really important is to get some protein in just AFTER I work out.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    <sorry for the long post, just one article from the NY Times regarding working out before breakfast>

Phys Ed: The Benefits of Exercising Before Breakfast
    By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS

The holiday season brings many joys and, unfortunately, many countervailing dietary pitfalls. Even the fittest and most disciplined of us can succumb, indulging in more fat and calories than at any other time of the year. The health consequences, if the behavior is unchecked, can be swift and worrying. A recent study by scientists in Australia found that after only three days, an extremely high-fat, high-calorie diet can lead to increased blood sugar and insulin resistance, potentially increasing the risk for Type 2 diabetes. Waistlines also can expand at this time of year, prompting self-recrimination and unrealistic New Year’s resolutions.

But a new study published in The Journal of Physiology suggests a more reliable and far simpler response. Run or bicycle before breakfast. Exercising in the morning, before eating, the study results show, seems to significantly lessen the ill effects of holiday Bacchanalias.

For the study, researchers in Belgium recruited 28 healthy, active young men and began stuffing them with a truly lousy diet, composed of 50 percent fat and 30 percent more calories, overall, than the men had been consuming. Some of the men agreed not to exercise during the experiment. The rest were assigned to one of two exercise groups. The groups’ regimens were identical and exhausting. The men worked out four times a week in the mornings, running and cycling at a strenuous intensity. Two of the sessions lasted 90 minutes, the others, an hour. All of the workouts were supervised, so the energy expenditure of the two groups was identical.

Their early-morning routines, however, were not. One of the groups ate a hefty, carbohydrate-rich breakfast before exercising and continued to ingest carbohydrates, in the form of something like a sports drink, throughout their workouts. The second group worked out without eating first and drank only water during the training. They made up for their abstinence with breakfast later that morning, comparable in calories to the other group’s trencherman portions.

The experiment lasted for six weeks. At the end, the nonexercising group was, to no one’s surprise, super-sized, having packed on an average of more than six pounds. They had also developed insulin resistance — their muscles were no longer responding well to insulin and weren’t pulling sugar (or, more technically, glucose) out of the bloodstream efficiently — and they had begun storing extra fat within and between their muscle cells. Both insulin resistance and fat-marbled muscles are metabolically unhealthy conditions that can be precursors of diabetes.

The men who ate breakfast before exercising gained weight, too, although only about half as much as the control group. Like those sedentary big eaters, however, they had become more insulin-resistant and were storing a greater amount of fat in their muscles.

Only the group that exercised before breakfast gained almost no weight and showed no signs of insulin resistance. They also burned the fat they were taking in more efficiently. “Our current data,” the study’s authors wrote, “indicate that exercise training in the fasted state is more effective than exercise in the carbohydrate-fed state to stimulate glucose tolerance despite a hypercaloric high-fat diet.”

Just how exercising before breakfast blunts the deleterious effects of overindulging is not completely understood, although this study points toward several intriguing explanations. For one, as has been known for some time, exercising in a fasted state (usually possible only before breakfast), coaxes the body to burn a greater percentage of fat for fuel during vigorous exercise, instead of relying primarily on carbohydrates. When you burn fat, you obviously don’t store it in your muscles. In “our study, only the fasted group demonstrated beneficial metabolic adaptations, which eventually may enhance oxidative fatty acid turnover,” said Peter Hespel, Ph.D., a professor in the Research Center for Exercise and Health at Catholic University Leuven in Belgium and senior author of the study.

At the same time, the fasting group showed increased levels of a muscle protein that “is responsible for insulin-stimulated glucose transport in muscle and thus plays a pivotal role in regulation of insulin sensitivity,” Dr Hespel said.

In other words, working out before breakfast directly combated the two most detrimental effects of eating a high-fat, high-calorie diet. It also helped the men avoid gaining weight.

There are caveats, of course. Exercising on an empty stomach is unlikely to improve your performance during that workout. Carbohydrates are easier for working muscles to access and burn for energy than fat, which is why athletes typically eat a high-carbohydrate diet. The researchers also don’t know whether the same benefits will accrue if you exercise at a more leisurely pace and for less time than in this study, although, according to Leonie Heilbronn, Ph.D., a professor at the University of Adelaide in Australia, who has extensively studied the effects of high-fat diets and wrote a commentary about the Belgian study, “I would predict low intensity is better than nothing.”

So, unpleasant as the prospect may be, set your alarm after the next Christmas party to wake you early enough that you can run before sitting down to breakfast. “I would recommend this,” Dr. Heilbronn concluded, “as a way of combating Christmas” and those insidiously delectable cookies.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    to work out before they eat so they can burn stored fat

I'm interested in burning stored fat.
    I exercise on a fast (before I eat)

I also Slow It Down
    http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2

Sure, makes sense to me.
  • dkbrummitt
    dkbrummitt Posts: 21
    Options
    From what I was told when I was in the military, it really depends on your body type. If you are already a lean person, then you should probably eat a light meal so that your body has some energy store. But if you aren't lean, then you have your energy store already. I tend to carry mine in my hips and thighs :wink: .

I tend to not eat before a workout. Especially if its going to be a really hard one. Its easier for me to really press harder if I don't have to worry about hurling afterwards.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasion that I do a morning workout (weekend walk/runs in the summer before it gets too hot out), I'll just have something small like a banana, snack bar or protein shake. If I eat any more than that, I'll be nauseous.
  • Clairebryant36
    Options
    if you didn't eat a snack beforehand if you just wake up and work out would you end up eating more anyway?? You would be hungry from your workout plus it would be breakfast time. I eat a small breakfast eg toast an then work out then eat some protien after work out and I have lost 50 pounds :)
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    if you didn't eat a snack beforehand if you just wake up and work out would you end up eating more anyway??

No.

:smile:
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    I am looking for a little bit of input on thoughts about working out before or after you eat.. I was watching Good Morning America yesterday and a personal trainer said that she tells her clients to work out before they eat so they can burn stored fat. from watching the biggest loser I thought you needed to fuel your body prior to excercising. I am wonder now how to choose what to do.

I believe this probably depends on what exactly you are doing. Are you doing light exercise, moderate exercise or heavy exercise? As a weight lifter of over 13 years I know my body very well. I have talked with good people, have information from books, DVD's, magazines and the internet. From "my personal experience" doing any heavy exercise you will want "some" energy in order to exercise. If I don't have something to eat at least an hour before I lift I cannot lift as effectively. Afterwards is a MUST to eat to replenish your system. Also when competing in martial arts it was a must to eat something prior; nothing heavy just something light as well through out the tournament.

There are so many things out there with it being one way or the other. I have always found to get all of the information and then through trial and error find what works for YOU. Nobody has YOUR body and they can only provide GUIDELINES.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lots of conflicts out there...
    This information is taken out of the ACT person trainer's manual ... lots of info, but from a trustworthy source...

Not only is it important for a client to eat small frequent meals throughout the day that contain the correct proportion of carbohydrates, protein and fats, it is also important to determine what a client will eat before, during and after the workout. Although the timing and type of nutrition to suggest to a client has been determined by science, all people are different and this regimen may take experimentation to determine what works for Every hour of endurance exercise requires approximately 100 300 carbohydrate calories or about 0.5-0.8 grams of carbohydrate per pound of body weight.

The recovery diet is an often overlooked but extremely important component of the client’s performance on days following training. The priorities are carbohydrate and fluid replacement. After exercise, a client should begin to immediately replace fluid loss by drinking water possibly sports drinks if severely dehydrated) and by eating food with high water content. After stopping the activity, the first Major intake of food should be approximately no less than 15 minutes and no more than 2 hours. It should consist of about 300 calories of carbohydrate-rich foods such as bananas. It is also recommended that protein, such as that provided by lean Meats and low-fat milk, be a part of the recovery meal. Protein helps shuttle blood glucose to muscles to replenish glycogen stores and is needed for cell and tissue repair following a workout.

Although eating before a workout or competition can cause stomach discomfort and diarrhea, it is important that a client eat before participating in physical activity to maintain constant blood sugar levels and prevent early fatigue. Following a few guidelines can help eliminate any possible discomfort. First, a client should be consuming a low-fat, high carbohydrate diet daily. This will help ensure that there are adequate energy stores (in the form of glycogen) in the muscles and liver.

A client should avoid meals high in fat and protein immediately prior to activity. If the planned activity will be shorter than an hour, eating foods such as breads and pasta should be sufficient. However, if the activity will last longer than an hour, foods with lower glycemic indexes, such as bananas and oatmeal, are recommended because they provide sustained energy.

For short workouts (less than 30 minutes), it is usually unnecessary for a client to eat during the activity. However, for light to moderate intensity exercise, most people can tolerate small amounts of plain food and this may increase their performance.

For activities lasting longer than 60 minutes, maintaining a sufficient fluid and carbohydrate supply becomes a challenge. For fluids, a client’s sweat loss should match their fluid intake. To determine if fluids are being adequately replenished, weigh the client before, during and after long, vigorous workouts. Ingesting enough carbohydrates is also important to maintain blood sugar levels and ensure endurance for long workouts.
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    That seems to coincide with much I said.

One thing I don't agree with, and I used to, is sports drinks. For the MAJORITY of people a sports drink is no great benefit and actually is no better then drinking pop (soda). WATER is the best thing for the majority of people as we can all do away with the excess of sodium we are taking in and these types of drinks are loaded with them.
  • Kbridges82
    Kbridges82 Posts: 5
    Options
    The answer depends on the intensity of your workout. Low intensity burns from your fat stores, and as the intensity increases, more is burned from your glycerin stores (carbs) to the point where no fat is burned, rather all carbs. This may make some think that low intensity is the way to go. The answer is: sometimes. You see, if your workouts are high-intensity, then eat beforehand. The workout will consume the energy in your food source, and energy to carry out your lower intensity daily activities (laundry, errands, etc) will come from your fat stores. If you want to perform a low-intensity workout, then you do not have to eat beforehand (but you still need to eat at some point).
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You should not workout on an empty stomach, you should eat a snack/small meal. Then eat a full meal/protein shake after your workout. The sooner you eat after your workout, the better it is.

If in the AM: I eat afterwards
    If in the PM: I've eaten throughout the day

Personally I cannot eat a meal before a workout, because I feel stuffed and cannot perform efficiently (crunches, walking, aerobics, yoga, pilates...).

Good Luck! :-)
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The answer depends on the intensity of your workout. Low intensity burns from your fat stores, and as the intensity increases, more is burned from your glycerin stores (carbs) to the point where no fat is burned, rather all carbs. This may make some think that low intensity is the way to go. The answer is: sometimes. You see, if your workouts are high-intensity, then eat beforehand. The workout will consume the energy in your food source, and energy to carry out your lower intensity daily activities (laundry, errands, etc) will come from your fat stores. If you want to perform a low-intensity workout, then you do not have to eat beforehand (but you still need to eat at some point).

Agree!
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    I'll have breakfast 7-8am will work out 11am.

This evening i did work out 1hr20min after eating 480cal tea now got funny gut.
  • ash12783
    ash12783 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters....i just can't think of it any other way than if you workout and burn 400 calories...its the same either way in my head. Work out first and and burn 400 calories, then eat = the food u just ate is replacing those calories burned, and the other way, eat first then work out and burn 400 calories= burning 400 calories of food you just ate. just my thoughts :P i would think it just depends on which way makes you feel better.
  • FitproLola
    FitproLola Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm with Good Morning America :wink:

working out in the morning before eating has been proven to burn 200% more than the same workout after eating.

Eeek. No energy especially after an 8 hour sleep fast? As long as you watch your heart rate. If you work too hard, your body will burn muscle, not fat. Less muscle = slower metabolism which also means less calories burned. You REALLY have to watch your heart rate if you are going to work out on an empty stomach. Make sure to stay in your fat burning zone. :wink: