Worried about saggy skin

Options
Is anyone else worried about having saggy skin after weight loss. Is there any exercise that will stop the skin going this way.

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It depends. Genetics, age, the pace of weight loss, and how you lose it all factor in.

Take good care of your skin (moisturize etc.), lose weight at a reasonable pace using a mix of strength training and cardio, and cross your fingers.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    No, unfortunately saggy skin is all genetics. But you may surprise yourself with what your body does with the skin after weight loss. After 2 pregnancies, both babies over 9 pounds, and gaining 60 pounds in both pregnancies now that I'm getting back to what I was before my first child my, "saggy skin," is getting smaller and smaller.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You can worry all you want but it won't help. Saggy skin is a normal byproduct of large weight loss. The degree that it moderates over the following year really depends on genetics, and life-style choices that affect skin (such as smoking and sun exposure). Exercise will help with muscles which might improve the look, but it won't reduce excess skin.
  • lectric102002
    lectric102002 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world. I've lost close to 50 pounds and am now sporting some nice "bat wings". I'm sure my age is a big factor, but it sure would be nice to wear my sleeveless running shirts.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm petrified of saggy skin. Just saying.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Saggy skin > extra fat. Yeah you don't look great naked but at least you look good in clothes!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It is what it is. I've lost almost 90 pounds, and I need to lose around 50 more. My saggy skin is horrible and will only get worse. Not much you can do about it accept for stay hydrated, take care of your skin, and try not to lose weight too rapidly. About a year after weight loss what you have is pretty much what your stuck with unless you opt for surgery.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have lost like 40+ kg so far. Another 25 to go. So far if I have loose skin it's minimal. I don't seem any looser than when I was 40kg heavier.

So I'm hoping that will continue and any loose skin will be minimal.

But in the end worrying won't help. I think the only thing that might help is to loose weight at a slow healthy rate.

Which would you prefer? Carrying 50-100 pounds of fat or a little loose skin than can be removed with surgery etc
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You're 24, yours will do better (much) than, say, you wait until your 54 to lose the weight. Youth is on your side, listen to what these people say, lose slowly, eat healthy, exercise, you'll be surprised at how good you look and feel. Your very pretty, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The people who matter in your life won't care about your sagging skin and if they do, then they don't need to be there (just my opinion). If it's going to happen, it will happen. I look at it this way, all actions have a consequence. I let myself get this way and if sagging skin is my consequence, then so be it. At least I'll be healthier and my spouse doesn't care about some skin.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I guess its all a matter of priorities. Do you wish to be healthy, live longer, and have more energy? I lost weight (and a whole lot of money) with Jenny Craig. I remember my starting weight was 265 and by the next summer I was 179. I walked alot, biked and was active. I remember not the saggy skin, (which really wasn't a big deal). What I remember was how I FELT moving around and loving life. Fast forward from 2010 to 2015 and I am at 248 saying ...Dammit Jenny Craig...and what the heck happened.... (well I know what happened no one to blame but me)....Dont get so hung up on the saggy skin. Losing Weight is not the key to happiness.....Happiness it the key to losing weight... my new mantra. :-)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have saggy skin than excess body fat. If I end up with saggy skin (which I doubt I will because I've only been overweight for 2 years and am young), I'll have skin removal surgery.
  • mariafarrell09
    mariafarrell09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thank you. you all have a point and have helped me to realize that im worrying about nothing really. i would rather have saggy skin than lots off fat to, so thank you all :)
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I worry a little about loose skin I'm 36 so not quite young enough to not worry about it. Don't get me wrong I'm totally more focused on losing weight than ending up with a bit loose skin but I do still think about it. I would never be able to afford surgery
    What does it look like? I mean is it really noticeable?
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It depends on how fat you are. The people that are like really obese when they lose all that weight they have really saggy skin and often need surgery to remove it. Skin is stretchy and with time can "snap" back into place, but in the case of the obese people they stretched it to the point where it can't really come back. I think you can also work on building muscle to really help there.