ab routine

Options
Msaip
Msaip Posts: 482 Member
I do a mix of 300 reps a night on my abs. I still have about 45 pounds to lose and yes i still have fat on my stomach. A co worker just told me not to focus too much on the abs cause it will build muscle under fat and make it poof out more.....I def don't want this! BUT i've also heard that it's okay to do ab stuff because eventually the fat in my midsection will go away leaving me with muscle?

Please any clarification?!

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Core work isn't bad but it won't get you a fat free stomach. I would suggest making sure your ab routine is effective (most people on here i've seen do not advocate the traditional crunch) because that will tone and help lose inches but you need to make sure you're losing fat too!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The P90X guy said you shouldn't train abs every day, just like you shouldn't train any other muscle group every day. I would say do it every other day, but make sure you're eating very clean ("Great abs are made in the kitchen." -Jamie Eason), drinking tons of water, and doing cardio.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    DIET DIET DIET is the Main ingredient in losing fat and getting visable abs. I do core exercises 3 times a week along with regular workouts and try to watch what I eat. Good luck
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I prefer a "core" routine to an ab routine, but still do a more ab-isolated routine a couple of times a week (when I'm being good)

I think it's more important to strengthen/tighten your entire core for that "girdle" effect than to just concentrate on abs

This is the program I like, quick, but not easy. I can't find the link, so I copied and pasted it for you below.

Functional Core for Runners
    Core exercises will improve your form and efficiency while staving off fatigue at the end of a race. Since the end of my college days I have been doing a simple six exercise core circuit that is absolutely incredible.

This circuit is fairly comprehensive and targets your obliques, upper and lower abdominals, lower back, hamstrings, and glutes. I go through the exercise for one minute and immediately transition to the next. I like to do 2-3 sets and take about two minutes of rest between each. In order, the circuit is:

Modified Bicycle: lie on your back and hold one leg up in the air. Your thigh should be perpendicular to your body and your shin parallel to the ground. Hold your other leg 2-3 inches off the ground. Hold for several seconds and switch legs. Make sure your lower back is in a neutral position during the entire exercise.
    Plank: lie on your stomach and prop your weight on your forearms and toes. Keep your back straight and hold this position for the entire exercise.
    Leg Extension: lie on your back with your feet flat on the ground. Lift your hips so there is a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. Extend one leg straight out, hold for several seconds, then put it back down on the ground and repeat. Make sure your hips don’t dip or your butt sags.
    Side Plank: on your side, lift your body so your weight is on one forearms and the side of one foot. There should be a straight diagonal line from your head to your feet. I usually do 10 lateral leg raises during this exercise but that’s advanced.
    Modified Bird Dog: in a table position, lift your left arm so it’s parallel to the ground. At the same time, lift your opposite leg (your right) so your thigh is parallel to the ground and your shin is perpendicular. Your knee should be bent at 90 degrees and your glute muscle activated. Hold for several seconds and switch sides.
    Supine Leg Lift: lie on your back with your weight on your elbows and heels, lift your hips and keep a straight line from your toes to your shoulders. Lift one leg about 8 inches off the ground, hold for several seconds, and repeat with the opposite leg.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    your coworker is wrong.

building the ab muscles is going to be good. Thats like saying you shoulder work your arm muscles because that would just make them puffy.

working abs every day is the wrong way to go though. 2-3 times a week is more than enough.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    DIET DIET DIET is the Main ingredient in losing fat and getting visable abs. I do core exercises 3 times a week along with regular workouts and try to watch what I eat. Good luck

this.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    No, you will not get thicker because you are building up ab muscle. I do pilates, its the crunch video, so its only 10 minutes a day, but it kills the next day and I can notice a difference in tone, even though there's still some chub on top.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    working your core is essential (for toning, strength, endurance, etc).
    but u will still need to modify what you eat to lose the excess fat.

I dont know what your routing consists of, but 300reps seems a little excessive.
    try each exercise for 30 seconds, and complete your cycle 3 times.
    also, dont work your abs every day for a more effective 'burn', you want to tear the muscle, give it a day to heal and then tear it again....
  • Msaip
    Options
    Core work isn't bad but it won't get you a fat free stomach. I would suggest making sure your ab routine is effective (most people on here i've seen do not advocate the traditional crunch) because that will tone and help lose inches but you need to make sure you're losing fat too!
    Yea i make sure to do atleast 100 traditional crunches....They really feel like they work
  • Msaip
    Options
    your coworker is wrong.

building the ab muscles is going to be good. Thats like saying you shoulder work your arm muscles because that would just make them puffy.

working abs every day is the wrong way to go though. 2-3 times a week is more than enough.

Good im getting tired of doing it everyday lol

Ill set if for monday wed and fridays.

I do cardio and I do eat good. I don't always eat great BUT It's a lot better than I used to eat!
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    massive bump
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Core work is fine, like plank, mountain climbers, side plank, rolling plank. Moves that work the core, the core in an entirity. But ab moves like leg climbers, crucnhes stuff like that-wait.

Work your CORE 3 non consectutive times a week.
  • Msaip
    Options
    Core work is fine, like plank, mountain climbers, side plank, rolling plank. Moves that work the core, the core in an entirity. But ab moves like leg climbers, crucnhes stuff like that-wait.

Work your CORE 3 non consectutive times a week.

All the ones I hate lol

This is good information though

Does anyone have a specific time/routine they do with these?
  • micki59
    micki59 Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump