Do I have to run?

Options
So I recently got a fitbit and it has really motivated me to walk everywhere I can. (I'm averaging about 20k steps a day or more). I was pretty proud of this effort and really enjoy it because I can fit it into my day.

I also train with a PT twice a week - I told him about the walking but he was pretty dismissive - he said it was good and to keep doing it but really I should be running because I am not elderly.

I hate running, like really hate it. I tried c25k but gave up in week three because I dreaded the days.

Now, my PT is a bit of a fitness snob (also a part time model) - is he just being tough on me or do I really have to add running?

Thanks!

Replies

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    No, you don't. If you seriously hate doing something, then you won't keep it up anyway. Yes, you'd burn more calories if you ran but once you stop running because you hate it, you'll stop burning. If you keep walking, you'll keep burning, even though it won't be as much.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

If you hate running, you don't have to run. There are other cardio type activities you can do
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Nobody says you have to run. If you don't like it, don't run. End of story. I used to hate running, but now look forward to it. If you want to run, then run. But do it for nobody but yourself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    WTF? For real?????

I will add in jerk! It's his job to work with you on your goals (short term and long term) and getting you on a sustainable program or give you ideas based on your level of fitness..

You do not have to be a runner. Running is NOT for every one. You either love it or hate it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My opinion: that is just silly. If you want to run then by all means do, since it sounds like you dont like to run then there is no reason to force yourself to. You are getting plenty of activity, so stick to what you enjoy. If you feel like you need to do more there are plenty of other options that don't include running : swimming, cycling, dancing or a million other things you could think of. Don't forget resistance training too!
  • katebutler58367
    katebutler58367 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What a load of rubbish! Sounds like your P.T is a bit of a running snob.
    I went for years trying to find an exercise that I liked and eventually realized that you have to find what suits you, not someone else.
    I can't stand running, both mentally and physically (shin splints!). But I love to walk. I discovered Nordic walking in January, and it's the best thing i've ever done.
    (Forgive me, I sound like an advert, i'm so evangelical about it.)
    It burns 45% more calories than regular speed walking, you use 96% of your skeletal muscles. It's very low impact, incredibly sociable and bizarrely purposeful. We stomp along for an hour at a time. On average I burn between 450 and 600 calories an hour. Dependent on how hard i concentrate on my technique.
    I'm even walking a 10K at the end of the month.
    My heart health has improved dramatically, my shape is changing and my fitness has gone through the roof.
    Best of luck on your road to fitness :)
    If you wanted to find out more there's lots of stuff on the internet.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I only run if I am in a race. Other than that I am walk/jogging.

Do what is comfortable to you
  • bluepenguin1
    bluepenguin1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I was feeling like a failure and really demotivated because (for me) thought I was doing well.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    NO. sounds like you need to find a new trainer. Really poor advice and attitude. Strength training & resisted cardio intervals can and will get you great cardio fitness, functional strength, body composition. Walking is a great overall exercise. I've not run a single mile, nor have I jumped, lunged or explosively hurled myself up/off the floor. I've lost a chunk of fat, inches & have a resting heart rate of 50 so NO - one does not need to run for any reason ( unless you love it or something is chasing you).
    BTW: I'm an NSAM certified personal trainer & I can also say from a professional standpoint: find yourself a new trainer. Good luck!
  • jennyblacker
    jennyblacker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your PT is an *kitten*. I personally would be looking for a new one

I did long-distance walking for a good year (and still sometimes do) because it fit what I wanted (better lung function, stronger legs, generally a bit fitter). Sure I've started running now, but only because I want to, else there's no way I'd do it regularly enough to class it as my regular exercise

A PT should be pushing you, but not into doing something that makes you miserable
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Now, my PT is a bit of a fitness snob (also a part time model) - is he just being tough on me or do I really have to add running?

If you don't want to run, you don't need to run. Key point is around supporting your goals. Walking will burn calories but it won't lead to significant increases in aerobic capacity, lactate threshold or VO2Max. As with any progressive overload you fairly quickly reach a stage where walking isn't going to overload you any more, so you need to go beyond that.

Running will lead to that overload, in time and once you've built the aerobic base. So can cycling, or droning away on machines in the gym.

If you want the wider fitness improvements, then you need to find something that'll give you those. Running is reliatively simple and requires minimal equipment, but there are lots of alternatives.
  • FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. I flat refuse to run. I'm tall; it doesn't look good, and my knees hate me for it. Good luck, and I hope you find a less douchebaggy PT!
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I also hate running. I'll walk, bike, hike, swim, or just about anything else. Running is not the only form of cardio in the world. Walking up a mountain will get your heart rate up, the sweat glands going, and all that just as well as running will.
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Working with a trainer is a 2-way street. I wouldn't be so dismissive with a trainer as some have suggested. My suggestion is that when someone suggests something you think won't work for you, just tell them and ask them to help you find something that will accomplish the same goals. Try to understand what the end goal is and the reason the trainer suggested it in the first place. Good for you on the over 20K steps!!
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Running is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories, and there are added health benefits to running over walking.

Having said all that, if you hate it, then don't worry about it. Cycling, swimming, walking, Zumba--find what works for you.

FWIW, I started with the C25K program 11 months ago, and I hated it at first. Now, I run a 5k two times per week, with a longer run once per week. I have lost 30lbs, and plan to run a half marathon this fall.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You do not need to run. No one needs to do anything they greatly dislike.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    So I recently got a fitbit and it has really motivated me to walk everywhere I can. (I'm averaging about 20k steps a day or more). I was pretty proud of this effort and really enjoy it because I can fit it into my day.

I also train with a PT twice a week - I told him about the walking but he was pretty dismissive - he said it was good and to keep doing it but really I should be running because I am not elderly.

I hate running, like really hate it. I tried c25k but gave up in week three because I dreaded the days.

Thanks!

The only time you have to run is when you're being chased by something that could kill you. Otherwise, walking is perfect.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,576 Member
    Options
    No. And if a PT is a snob about walking, then he'll scoff at any other exercises he see's you doing that he didn't "design" for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Do you "hate" running because you currently aren't good at it?

No. You don't need to run.

But if you want the same calorie burn as many hours of walking, in far less time, and want the cardiopulmonary system improvements that higher output cardio can deliver, running is certainly one way to go.

Joining a running group, available for free or very low cost in most cities, can be a fun and informative way to give running a fair trial. You've nothing to lose.

My resting heart rate dropped from 88 to 50 since September. BP now like I was twenty again. Lung function way up and I have it in me to do more, I can tell. I walked extensively before and got none of those specific, important, benefits, from walking. Running gives you a change of scenery, faster, too!

I've run 802km since September, and am adding 160 to 200km a month now. Clearly I like running but it didn't come overnight and was tough at first.

No you don't have to run but there are reasons why some might want to.

Ps, I'd just turned 53 when I started and I remain injury free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    why would you have to run? I cycle a lot, and run almost never. My only comment would be that at some point you may want to challenge yourself a bit more. I love walking, but at this point in my fitness it's really not much of a workout.