HRM Device

Options
SexyCook
SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
I am searching for a reasonable HRM watch. I have heard that the Polar brand is nice and pretty accurate. I am not looking to spend much. Do anyone have any suggestion where I can find a reasonable one or know of another brand that is quite accurate?

Replies

• Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm in your boat as well. I heard that a chest strape is what you want for most accurate, but everything good is about $50+
  • SexyCook
    Options
    I heard some of them come with the chest strape..I will spend 60 but I think that will be my limit..
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking for a good HRM so I am anxious to see what people respond to this! :)
    I'm also hoping to only spend about 60 bucks....hope we can get a good one for that!
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    I got mine at Target for about $50. It's a New Balance Fit model. They also sell the Polar models for a bit more. Very happy with mine, and it's accurate.
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    There's also a New Balance Fit "PLUS" model available (but I didnt' see one at Target) that also has a built-in pedometer.
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    Be careful as not all the polar ones calculate your calorie burn as i have found out to my expense :0(
  • SexyCook
    Options
    Be careful as not all the polar ones calculate your calorie burn as i have found out to my expense :0(

I am sure open to other brands. I would prefer to buy one that people use and know to be pretty accurate. I want to be a close as I can be to calorie count and heart rate..Thanks
  • fitlife4ever
    fitlife4ever Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also some of the polar models, the battery is not user replaceable. You have to send it to the company and get it replaced. The shipping and handling costs are more than the HRM device itself :(
  • SexyCook
    Options
    Also some of the polar models, the battery is not user replaceable. You have to send it to the company and get it replaced. The shipping and handling costs are more than the HRM device itself :(

THANKS

Any other suggestons? I am very open to other name brands. I want to hear from people that have all kinds and work...
  • tabbiekat25
    tabbiekat25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've used the Polar F6 for about 2 years. I like it and it is accurate. I like Polar in that when the batteries die you send them back and for a nominal charge they replace and send you HRM back. I'm currently using a Garmin 305 GPS watch but I don't like the HRM with it, it doesn't calculate calories actually using your heart rate, but by a formula. Definitely not as accurate as my Polar.

Additionally, note that even though you wear the HRM, you are only getting a partial picture of your actual calories burned. Even if you wear it 24 hours, they don't capture your HR very well while sleeping.
  • SexyCook
    Options
    I've used the Polar F6 for about 2 years. I like it and it is accurate. I like Polar in that when the batteries die you send them back and for a nominal charge they replace and send you HRM back. I'm currently using a Garmin 305 GPS watch but I don't like the HRM with it, it doesn't calculate calories actually using your heart rate, but by a formula. Definitely not as accurate as my Polar.

Additionally, note that even though you wear the HRM, you are only getting a partial picture of your actual calories burned. Even if you wear it 24 hours, they don't capture your HR very well while sleeping.

Thanks this is so helpful..I figured nothing would be accurate..not even the machines in the gym..LOL so as long as I get a around about..I am good with that. Thanks again..
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I just got a Beurer PM25 seems pretty decent although I'm struggling to get it to pick up my heart rate for the first time - I'm sure this is more to do with my incompetence than the product.... it was also cheap... £35 on Amazon!
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar and love it! I have found it to be very accurate. I purchased the lower model at $120. It has a heart rate strap and a watch. I like that it tracks my highest heart rate and my lowest during my workouts. I also like that when I'm at the gym it registers on the machines so when I'm running I don't have to try to look down at my watch to see where my heart rate is.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I just purchased a Polar FT40 three weeks ago and I opted to get that higher priced model as it allows the user to replace the batteries in both the wrist unit as well as the chest transmitter without sending it back to Polar.........
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    New Balance N5 HRM - Calorie burn feature - LOVE. And user replacable batteries.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm going to copy and paste my advice from another post.

Just an FYI....not all heart rate monitors are calorie burn heart rate monitors. I have the Garmin 305, and it's not accurate for calories burned. It's only a HRM for training purposes. It was $300 when I first got it too!

For example: I ran a half marathon with an average hr of 170 in 2 hr 15 mins. A week later I rode my bike 25 miles, average hr of 120 in 2 hrs 15 mins and it gave me the exact same calories burned. There's no way I burned as many calories on a leisurely ride than what I burned on my half mary. No way!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT7 and so far I love it. So easy to set up and easy to use. You can also replace the batteries on it yourself and the calorie burn is pretty accurate. They are also on sale at drugstore.com for 20 dollars off.. which makes the Polar FT4 around 69 dollars and the FT7 around 89 dollars.

Also, don't go with Timex.. even if it has a chest strap. They tend to overestimate their calorie burn a lot!
  • ksuhre
    ksuhre Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F4...I bought it off of ebay last year when I started insanity. No complaints so far!